Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come hell or high water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Thanks folks

Yes the plan is to drop weight before then, I have never swam with a suit before so the idea was to get one now and get used to swimming open water. I guess my next question is should i buy a cheapie to get used to them and then spend the money on a proper one come May or should I just hold off completely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Thanks folks

Yes the plan is to drop weight before then, I have never swam with a suit before so the idea was to get one now and get used to swimming open water. I guess my next question is should i buy a cheapie to get used to them and then spend the money on a proper one come May or should I just hold off completely ?

Christ you will freeze :eek:

I wouldn't bother with the cheap suit, your big day isn't till September, you have loads of time to get used to the suit next summer, I wouldnt be even looking to go near open water till May at the earliest (I am a wuss)

agh jaysus a bit of cold water wont do you any harm, make you swim quicker. I'm far from a hard head but it wouldn't bother me at all swimming all year round. More practice the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I agree with CW, I would be leaving the ow swimming till you can at least swim without fear of hypothermia, from now till then get to the pool and work on your stroke and building the endurance there.

ok thanks again I will hold off until after xmas before getting a suit. While we are on the subject where do people buy there's ? I assume its not something to be buying online unless your certain of sizing etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'd agree with the lads about holding off a while before you get a suit. I disagree though with waiting until May to dip a toe... Get in whenever you want . If its baltic just a few minutes at a time. You see people dipping in th enip over xmas so its mind over matter. I usually get in for 10-15 mins last week of April first week of May usually because I'm waiting for some company to do so. Feic that. Late March next year!!

One thing about the suit, if it feels too small, it probably fits just right.

Given all clear from physio this morning to start back some light training and got me thinking.

what do others do for light training ?

So having been given the all clear today to get back out training, including running which I have not done in the last 8 weeks, I decided on a nice slow run.

Managed to get 13k in 1hr and 5mins. Very happy with it considering I have not been running and this time last week thought I was going to be out for a good while longer with injury.

Felt very comfortable throughout the whole run and could have easily kept going but didn't want to push it.

Get back into the pool tomorrow for some drills and a loosen up !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I agree with CW and BennyMul on this one - wait until spring to start your open water swimming. Why? Because of hypothermia and panic, which, unless you are a particularly experienced and confident swimmer who is acclimated to such conditions, could place you in great peril. As shotgun mentioned, a proper fitting wetsuit will feel tight, and because it feels tight it will restrict your breathing....and when you are in freezing-yer-arse-off water you will experience short, shallow breathing which can cause you to panic and gasp for breath. If you do insist on swimming in these conditions, I can't stress enough the importance of taking someone experienced with you....but my best advice is wait - you've loads of time to practice open water swimming.

Regarding your wet suit, lose the weight you want to lose then invest in a good quality suit. You want to lose the weight first because you want the suit to fit properly (a suit that is too loose will hinder you), and purchase the suit at a shop with experienced staff who will assist you in making the right purchase. :)

Thanks Dory, I have taken the guys advice and held off on buying one, makes a lot of sense to wait until the weight is off and I am at my proper race weight. I had spoken to a few experienced swimmers in the meantime about open water swimming at this time of year and to be honest I may try it out and see how I get on but I would never swim alone open water. They have agreed to go in the water with me.

I am more concerned about cold/flu or worse than I am cold. I have already missed 2 weeks with chest infection and 1 week with back issues so need no more time off. The pool will do for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I did my first IM distance this year and due to time constraints and family life etc I did all of my swimming in the pool. I don't know of anyone who swam in the OW in Winter to prepare for an IM swim the following September.

If you dont mind me saying Buachaill, but in my meagre opinion are you trying to do too much too far away from race day? I have recently started work with a coach who has himself completed 4 X IM's at around the 10hr mark and multiple marathons sub 3hrs and his advice to me is to get my body in top condition over the winter months by getting down my weight, concentrating on my running form and increasing my cardio fitness. He also believes that the 30 week Fink program that I followed is too long and too generic. What I am trying to get across to you is "don't burn yourself out now both physically and mentally". Next September is a long way off.

Also, don't be on boards at 1.38 on a Sunday morning, be in bed cos sleep is your new best friend. :D

Thanks Brick for your post,

I know it may sound a little overkill to be in the water in winter but I really don't see it as a big deal. Come september the water in Wales won't be all nice and warm so I was just hoping to get some idea of what to expect so mentally I would understand it. I'm sure temps don't really warm all that much in our climate but I am very much a thinker, if I know mentally what it's like I prepare better, who doesn't ?

Again doing too much too soon, I think go back 6-7 weeks I would be guilty of it for sure thinking that running, cycling, swimming and gym'ing as much as possible was the way to get super fit and ready when all in fact it does is burn you out, not very clever at all and a silly approach that will lead to injury after injury.

I really do take on board people's opinions on here otherwise no point in putting it out there.

I was going to wait until the charity website was up and running before putting up some names of my help but now is as good a time as any.

You will understand then what good hands I am in.

Strength and conditioning : Urban FItness Blackrock, these guys are overlooking my program until Jan, they have me dropping the weight and strengthening the core. These guys have an abundance of knowledge and I have the before and after pics to prove it :-)

Noel Murphy Swim Coach: with help of NAC facilities I meet Noel every week, he is a great guy and seriously knows his stuff.

Eamonn Tilley: overall manager ! I don't think I need to introduce this guy on here, he is overseeing the whole project and will be in full control of my program

UCD: will be meeting with Brendan Egan next week to go over nutrition and overall physiology. I will hopefully be getting vo2, lactate thresholds and a number of other tests on an ongoing basis to make sure everything is going as it should be. Brendan has agreed to overlook all that end of things for me and it's a huge bonus for me in all of this, so important as you guys know.

I have several more people helping me with other specifics but won't go into every detail just yet.

Im not saying all this to name drop, merely trying to put across how serious I take this challenge and the lengths I will go to in assuring the best possible results. I take everyone's advice and do it as I am asked, just like on here. It's my first ever triathlon never bloody mind Ironman so I would be a fool to not listen and learn.

So what you guys think ? Am I in good hands :-)

I don't know any of those names/groups, but I do understand getting a grasp on things mentally - there is value in that. However, pay attention to time spent on tasks and return on your investment as well. Open water swimming will not be as efficient as pool swimming at this stage (for many reasons), but if you need it mentally, then try it out but I wouldn't make it part of your weekly routine. I would come back to open water much later in your program - but that's just my 2 cents. You can share my suggestions with Noel, Eamonn and Brendan if you'd like, but I doubt they'll be all that impressed as it is highly unlikely they've ever heard of Dory Dory either! ;)

Dont be so modest , everybody has heard of Dory Dory ;-)

Monday : Early - 5k run at an easy pace just to loosen up legs and start off the week on
    a positive note and just register some training, 25 mins

: Late - Did 45 mins of core work and 15 of stretching and foam rolling etc, legs
    feeling tight

Tues : Early - Hit the pool for some more drills and technique, put in 600m just taking
    time to really practice strokes, almost felt harder than just swimming but want
    consistency

Took afternoon off, was tired and stiff which I wasn't expecting and no need to drive myself into the ground just yet.

Today: am- met with guys in High performance centre to structure some testing and overall targets regarding weight loss, nutrition and overall approach to it all. Delighted with everything and seriously impressed with the set up in there, nothing left to chance and will be undergoing a list of testing's every 3-4 weeks from now until next Sept. Unbelievably lucky to have their help and cant thank them enough, in Monday morning for a Dexa scan, will update as results roll in.

Went from there to the gym and got ran into the ground with some high intensity super sets with little or no breaks, jaysus I am so unfit, dying after the 1st set but managed to keep going, took me a good 10-15 mins to properly recover afterwards. Guess it's all part of losing the flab.

Super excited to give it a good push between now and Jan and get to my target weight

Friday : 1 hour Gym session. Worked on upper body today felt strong. Noticeable difference in stability and balance overall.

Sat: 1 hr high intensity bootcamp this morning. Fat burner. Again felt fresh and worked hard but did not tire much.

This afternoon will get out for 2 hour slow cycle and work on some hills.

Nice to be back injury free and feeling strong

Sunday: Was out till 5.30am galavanting Sunday morning so had a couple hours extra in bed. First time since I can remember I was out so late and not a drop of drink to be had. Anyway got up around mid day and went for a bite to eat with Family. My plan was to get back and go for a road run but I was feeling the affects of the late night so decided on an hour at the pool instead. Did some drills and about 800mts and a nice pace. Didn't time it as I wasn't looking for much, just a wake up ha.

Monday: AM - Into UCD with me to get my Dexa scan and to be honest I wasn't surprised but at the same time certainly was not impressed. Looks like I will be adjusting the weight loss thread as my official body fat content is 28%. Yes I am obese. What scares me more is what I must have been back in March before I dropped the 3.5 stone, frightening. Must say the service in there and the information to hand is superb and I cannot recommend the facility enough. Well worth the €100 price tag for anyone interested in exact levels.

So decided to put it down as a wake up call and use it as a positive, Rang my coach and devised a plan for the week. It is going to be simple from now to xmas. Slow runs/cycles, high intensity gym sessions and a lot of core work. That fat has to come off and have set some new targets on these figures.

Monday pm: Slow steady cycle, headed out from shankill down the N11 to Ashford and back up the coast road through Kilcoole etc. Must say the wind was unreal on the way down and it was freezing, learned my lesson will be wearing much more layers for next one. On a positive did not get wet, put in 48 km's at an average pace of 25.8 kph. Total time of 1hr 50 mins.

Later that evening hit the pool and worked more on technique again, I know most of my pool sessions are all technique based but I really want to start on the right foot with the swimming and I know its a huge factor to it all for an Ironman.

Tuesday am: Out to the NAC this morning for a lesson. As it happened coach mixed up days so ended up heading in and just working on the same stuff as previous evening, yes you guessed it..... TECHNIQUE

Tuesday pm: Calf was a little sore from cycle yesterday, no idea what that was about so played it safe and went for the planned slow run but hit the threadmill in gym. Idea was if it got any sorer could just jump off, out on the road by time you find that out you could be miles away from house plus its warmer ha. Managed to do 6min klms and calf felt fine through the run. Finished the 45 mins as I wanted so a total of 7kms done at an average heart rate of 153. Calf a little stiff now so its up for and Epsom salt bath and early to bed.

Tomorrow I have a 2hour cycle, same route as Monday just slower and 45 min slow run in the evening at roughly same pace as today.

Need to get some more core work in also.

Feck off Fat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

S
    Later that evening hit the pool and worked more on technique again, I know most of my pool sessions are all technique based but I really want to start on the right foot with te swimming and I know its a huge factor to it all for an Ironman.

You have your ducks in a row there. Better form will yield progressive dividends when you start to extend your distance.

Wednesday AM: Bike - Long slow burner again, Mother in law had the little un so decided to get out early. Headed off up to Roundwood and down to Ashford and back up coast road through Kilcoole etc, Similar spin to Monday just had a few more hills. Ended up doing 2.10 mins, 55 kms in total. Felt very comfortable although calf was still a little sore but did not concern me. Was baltic out again.

PM: Slow easy run - Went for a nice relaxed 45 mins with a mate of mine, he is just back from injury and it was a nice catch up. Took in a nice mix of hills and flats around the area. Covered 7k but again its all about the slow fat burn pace. Got home and knew to jump into a bath with some epsom salts. Felt the better for it this morning also, calf felt much fresher

Thursday : 50 mins run at 6 mins kms again with 5 pick ups raising heart rate 10 beats every 8 mins for 2 mins, Heart rate comfortable again knocking in around 150 so decided after 2 pick ups to raise it to 165 h/r for the 2 mins. Does not sound much when I say it like that but ended up being almost an all out sprint for my short arse legs. Felt fresh and had lots more in me. Covered 10k in total so happy enough with the weeks work so far. slowly cranking it up weight dropping off. Going to give it a right go from now to xmas.

Lunchtime tomorrow will get another long slow cycle in !! Would be nice if the temp picked up ever so slightly ha ha some chance

Friday : Did not go to plan and missed the cycle. Had too much going on and in the end settled for an hour of TRX. Covering some TRX with my core work but this was my first class. Found it very tough and confirmed that I need a hell of lot more work. Fully enjoyed it all the same.

Saturday:
    AM- Back into the gym for an hour of bootcamp. This class is really good, we work through 3 circuits lasting 9 mins a circuit with only 3-4 mins break in between each circuit. The last 15 mins then comprises of some Burpees, push ups, kettle bell swings and a 400m run. We repeat this without break for the 15 mins followed by a warm down. I have to say its very enjoyable even though your lungs scream towards the end of the circuits. I felt stiff from the TRX the night before but still managed to get through it ok.

PM- Had planned for a nice slow run. Started out again a little stiff but wasn't too long loosening up into it. Total of 1hr 15mins and total of 13 kms. Average H/R of 144. Took a nice easy route to be fair but still happy with the effort. Decided to go straight to the pool to get some relaxation in and did a little tech stuff but mainly chilled.

Today:

Hit the roads again for a 10km run. Increased the tempo a little and covered it in 52 mins. I know I had lots more in me but again looking for the slow steady stuff to burn the fat. What a horrible day out but I must admit I love training in the rain, something very refreshing about it all. My most enjoyable run to date.

All in all put a decent week in, feel strong and ready to hit it again next week. Been very good with my eating also and I know the key to it all is rest and diet.

Need to work more on my swimming next week. Have been fitting it in between other workouts but going to pay more attention to it from this week, start putting some distance in also.

• Advertisement

Monday: Hit the gym early monday morning and got stuck in from the word go. Worked hard on core and kept the intensity very high all the way through. Got home early and logged a call to coach who went through the weeks work with me. Into week 3 of a 4 week cycle so was given a bit of work to cover.

Covered 50k on the bike in the afternoon again at a slow pace, was given 2 hours to complete so again was a nice easy spin, took some hills to toughen it a little but overall nice and relaxed.

Tuesday: Was rest day, As I had done TRX on the Friday I should have rested we decided before I load up for the week to rest, just worked on some flexibility and stretching.

Wednesday: Hit gym again and worked on some strength, kettlebell swings, squats, sprints, upper body and some stomach work. Nice session with some mixed weights.

Afternoon saw me hit the roads for one hour run at a slow pace. Again felt much stronger than speed was suggesting but kept the discipline there and stuck at 6 min kms. Can I ask is it just me or can running too slow be as hard as pushing too hard ? Anyway good sessions and covered what I was asked.

Thursday: Swim , hit the NAC early for a lesson and if i am honest I really need to concentrate more on the swimming. I have been working so much on tech over the past couple of months when I was asked to jump in cold and swim 100 mts I actually struggled, felt weird and uncomfortable yet when asked to do same with tech stuff I flew it. Really need to up my level on the swim so very much my main focus from now until Feb.

Hit the roads for a 10km run with my sister who is a very strong runner. Pace should have been easy and slow but ended up pushing it a little and did it in 50 mins. I know to a lot on here thats still slow and I could of went quicker but idea is to get a full hour covering 10km and I am still carrying 20lbs too much. I would be lying if I said it was easy I felt a little tired and started to struggle with 2 km to go, kept the pace and finished but wasn't impressed with effort.

Woke up this morning with a horrible pain on the outer part of my left foot, like my bone needs to crack and release the stiffness, feels bruised and very sore, never had it before. Really glad I had no running to do.

Hit the gym for a double up class of core work for an hour and straight into a TRX class. Feel ok overall but foot is still a little worrying considering I have a run the weekend. Might skip it and get some more swimming in instead. No point worrying about an ironman if i get pulled from the water.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As part of this plan you need to include regular visits to a sports physio so that niggles like your foot don't turn into race wrecking injuries.

Don't worry about how you stack up pace-wise to others on here - you are out there putting in the work and I'm sure you are seeing the benefits of your work in ways that we don't see. As far as your 10k in 50 minutes - that's a good, solid pace for a training run....but, the one thing I am trying to learn myself is if you are supposed to do a run slow, then do the run slow. Others can certainly explain this better than I can, but it has to do with time on your feet. I'll never forget RacoonQueen telling me that most people do their slow runs too fast, and their fast runs too slow. I am hugely guilty of this, but trying my best to realize that each session has prescribed paces for specific reasons, and trying my best to stay disciplined in hopes that I will reap the rewards of the training plan and the self-discipline.

As Oryx noted, mind that foot. I had a similar sounding injury after a half marathon last year and it took weeks for it to resolve. The pain was so bad that I had to work in bare feet (shoes were killer) and even had it x-rayed. No fractures, no diagnosis, just had to rest it. Of course I googled my symptoms and came up with my own running related diagnosis :o.....and thankfully that diagnosis recommended rest as the solution. Mind that foot. Stay in the pool for as long as you need to....and see a sports physio if needed. :)

Havent posted on this in a week or so been busy with sick baby, poor thing had 2 ear infections and bad cough. Thankfully this week she has perked up and looking forward forward to her first chrimbo but think her mammy is more excited than anyone.

So the week so far.

MONDAY:
    Foot had improved considerably from last week but its one of those things that you dont know just how good it is until you get out and move on it. Decided all the weeks runs would be done on threadmill in case it raised its un welcomed head again. Hit the gym early and got a 30 min run in. Didn't want anything more than a pain free foot and it felt fine. Paced out at 5 min kms. Then got in a good 45 mins of core work all felt good.

Hit the bike in the afternoon and got a nice 2hour spin in. Averaged 25kph again not looking for records just nice and steady. I have to say as far as cold weather, rain etc I am as tough as the next person and will generally get out in any weather. Monday was cruel. Headed off in direction of Wicklow and all the way getting pushed back and it was bloody freezing. Felt like I never warmed into it and event though I had lots of layers on felt it all the way around. Overall good 52k in harsh conditions.

TUESDAY: Rest dayso got some stretching in, picked up my supplements and dietry requirements

WEDNESDAY
    Swim: Got in and done a solid 30 mins. Along with my coach it has been decided that when working on tech stuff aim for doing it most days but only hit 30 mins and get out. I have a huge mountain to climb with the swimming and if I am honest its actually playing on my mind. That needs sorting.

GYM: Down to my instructors who had some new things for me to try out, was away in Budapest doing his ck-fms. Was re-accessed with another movement screening to see how far I had come along in the 4 months and was nicely surprised. Still some issues to work on but measured better than previous. We approached some crocodile breathing and other techniques and remeasured and the improvement straight away was astonishing. All through breathing and stretching. It highlighted to me just how important this side of things really are to keep an equilibrium within your body for training.

PM: Back to the gym for a run, hate using threadmills time stands still but having the option to just stop and get off if foot starts was still on my mind. Did an hour and legs felt tired, foot was a little sore. I know it was decided to get the long slow runs and cycles in to cover the base work but not sure I could even push much harder. Kept it at 9.5kph and I know could have went faster but put that over 42k not sure how much faster.

THURSDAY:
    Swim - Another 30 mins tech session.

PM- Took on a spinning class, wow. I loved it, not sure how much use it is to me for a 180k Ironman cycle but from a fat burn point of view it can only of been good. Worked hard and felt the effects of it this morning.

So far its been a good week. Couple sessions planned for today. Back down to the gym for some core work and breathing exercises with a little high intensity. Grab a swim later this evening and kick back and relax with the baba !! Foot is still not perfect but will keep a close eye on it.

Are you still alive lad?

Are you still alive lad?

Hey there

Yes still alive and all going well. Was away for a few days and only seeing this now. Have neglected to keep this page updated as I just haven't had the time with everything thats been going on. I have been putting a lot of time into the foundation we set up as well as training and balancing family also.

Training has been going well continuing to increase strength, fitness and drop the weight. Noticing a real difference in performance and overall stamina. Food and sleep seems to be my issues, not getting enough of either, eating all the right stuff just not getting enough calories in something I have to correct. The sleep end of things is a real pest. Just finding it very difficult to switch off and I know its a huge problem. Have started trying out different things and it seems to be getting a little better but still nowhere near were it needs to be.

Of all the factors involved in maintaining this project I never suspected not getting enough food or sleep being the issues.

Thanks for your interest Brick Session. Nobody else banging down the door to find out :P

With regard to sleep, I found that too during my IM training, some say it is a result of over training, maybe its different for everyone.

You can eat like a horse because you will burn it off, just try and stick to the good stuff.

Keep up the good work, Wales is calling you ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey there

Yes still alive and all going well. Was away for a few days and only seeing this now. Have neglected to keep this page updated as I just haven't had the time with everything thats been going on. I have been putting a lot of time into the foundation we set up as well as training and balancing family also.

Training has been going well continuing to increase strength, fitness and drop the weight. Noticing a real difference in performance and overall stamina. Food and sleep seems to be my issues, not getting enough of either, eating all the right stuff just not getting enough calories in something I have to correct. The sleep end of things is a real pest. Just finding it very difficult to switch off and I know its a huge problem. Have started trying out different things and it seems to be getting a little better but still nowhere near were it needs to be.

Of all the factors involved in maintaining this project I never suspected not getting enough food or sleep being the issues.

Thanks for your interest Brick Session. Nobody else banging down the door to find out :P

Dont underestimte the amount of sleep you need, the training does take a toll on the body, it is equally as important as the training.

Has anybody on here had to deal with runners knee ? I am having a brutal time with my right knee, had rested it and started back light runs of about 5k no more and all was well, as soon as I upped it to about 10k I get the same sensation back in it.

recently changed runners having only put about 80k on the new ones and im questioning them, Never felt so much as a twinge with my Saucony's. I do run with an outside to inside movement so need to watch my landing and get my alignment more neutral but easier said than done. The pain is on the outside of the right knee and feels like a sharp stab when sore. once I stop its fine. Hurts more going uphill and afterwards I struggle down the stairs etc. If I ben my leg to stretch I get a serious pain right across the knee. Could be my IBS also but I dont think so.

Will get to the physio Monday but just wondering if anyone had anything similar.

Swim and biking on flats for a few weeks me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Has anybody on here had to deal with runners knee ? I am having a brutal time with my right knee, had rested it and started back light runs of about 5k no more and all was well, as soon as I upped it to about 10k I get the same sensation back in it.

recently changed runners having only put about 80k on the new ones and im questioning them, Never felt so much as a twinge with my Saucony's. I do run with an outside to inside movement so need to watch my landing and get my alignment more neutral but easier said than done. The pain is on the outside of the right knee and feels like a sharp stab when sore. once I stop its fine. Hurts more going uphill and afterwards I struggle down the stairs etc. If I ben my leg to stretch I get a serious pain right across the knee. Could be my IBS also but I dont think so.

Will get to the physio Monday but just wondering if anyone had anything similar.

Swim and biking on flats for a few weeks me thinks

I had to stop running for a year with knee problems- more than likely caused by too much fast offroad downhills. (It also coincided with a change of shoe). I tried rest, grass, stretches, Ciaran Fitz, glucasomine tablets, apple cider vinegar, etc, etc. Frustrated, I gave up running and concentrated on bike and swims. In a last throw of the dice I started running in barefoot shoes (NB Minimus MT10), and haven't looked back. Pounded the pavements of Dublin Marathon in them a few months back, and am currently running without knee pain for quite a while.

Advertisement