Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come hell or high water

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Thanks Kurt

Can I ask did you get similar issues to what I have described ? I hope to god its nothing major that will set me back a year, That would be a disaster for my fundraiser although to be honest I would take it on regardless. I will know more come Monday but it all makes sense pointing towards runners knee.

The shoes I think are a huge factor, The Saucony omni 10 I had beforehand were great, never got anything. The Mizuno wave inspire 8 seem a lot more neutral and ever since I have worn them albeit I have increased distances upto 20k in them I have been getting issues.

I must have a look at the minimus, a few friends use them also and swear by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Thanks Kurt

Can I ask did you get similar issues to what I have described ? I hope to god its nothing major that will set me back a year, That would be a disaster for my fundraiser although to be honest I would take it on regardless. I will know more come Monday but it all makes sense pointing towards runners knee.

The shoes I think are a huge factor, The Saucony omni 10 I had beforehand were great, never got anything. The Mizuno wave inspire 8 seem a lot more neutral and ever since I have worn them albeit I have increased distances upto 20k in them I have been getting issues.

I must have a look at the minimus, a few friends use them also and swear by them.

I was wearing Saucony omni ??? (new to me) when my knee atarted gaving me problems (excruciating pain under/beneath the kneecap), so moved to Mizuno Wave Inspire 7, thought they were the solution, so I bought 4 pairs:rolleyes:. No benefit, so I gave up until I got the NB- bear in mind I had done a fair bit of proper barefoot grass running before so managed the achilles/calf transition pretty well. I continued to wear the Mizuno as casual shoes- hey, I want value for my money!- until about a couple of months ago, and that coincided with all knee pain disappearing.

Funny similar shoes involved.

I have been wearing the saucony casually but wont be doing so with the mizuno. You will probably see them on adverts very shortly ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

A few years ago I changed from Nike Pegasus to Mizuno Wave Inspire after a gait analysis. I had the exact same problems as you which disappeared immediately when I went back to the Pegasus. I still run in Pegasus now and wouldn't change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

griffin100 wrote: »
    A few years ago I changed from Nike Pegasus to Mizuno Wave Inspire after a gait analysis. I had the exact same problems as you which disappeared immediately when I went back to the Pegasus. I still run in Pegasus now and wouldn't change.

Hmmm... Google "mizuno wave inspire knee pain", it seems we're not alone.

• Advertisement

Just on the footwear saga. Finally got back to doing a run last night and decided to ignore the new Mizunos in the corner for the old Sauconys. Managed 12k without any issues in the knee whatsoever. Woke up this morning and coming down the stairs I would normally feel a weakness after running in the Mizuno and again nothing. So I am happy enough one of the issues if not all the issue was footwear.

Headed back to Amphibian King today determined to walk away with a new pair of Saucony and was put on camera again. Explained situation and was advised to try the new Asics gt2000. After running with both them and the Saucony Omni 11 it was suggested the Asics looked better on camera. Very comfortable like the Saucony so took another leap of faith and went with the Asics.

Hope it doesnt bite me in the arse again. Will know soon enough.

Anybody on here using the Asics gt 2000 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gman77

Hey Buachaill, I've just started following this thread after searching for Ironman Wales content on Boards. I'm signed up for IM Wales this year too, I've taken a massive leap of faith too as I do not have previous Tri experience but have some running and cycling experience behind me. Your IM journey sounds like it is going well, big credit to you for your reasons to take it on! Top man! Keep it up..

Hey Gman77 thanks for the well wishes. Well done on your decision to take it on, From what I am hearing Wales is a very tough track so prepare well. I am plugging away doing as much as I can but keeping injuries away has been the hard part. Seems every 6-8 weeks something else pops up and knocks me back a little. I keep saying I will update this more but never get the time to do it.

Thanks again for the well wishes, Hope your preparation goes smoothly fella. Good luck

Advertisement