Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Questions

Options
  • 08-09-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so most people may have realised by now I am planning on applying for the IEC when it opens up in December :D And am hopeful to be in Canada by October of next year.

So. I am going to get my medical done (but I am not sure if the outcome of that will be good or bad - in the process of trying to lose weight and fix a few health issues that have cropped up. I am also B12 deficient and will be for the rest of my life - and whether I will 'pass' so to speak).

So I know that 'passing' the medical has an effect on whether you can work with kids/old folk etc. I have a Fetac level 5 in Childcare. I haven't worked much in said industry because of the above mentioned health thingys. (I didn't/couldn't get them sorted before now, been in the process of sorting them etc etc etc and didn't believe I should work with kids unless I could commit 100% of myself to them yakno).

I also have a City and Guilds Diploma in IT - specifically in the Office Suite and a bit about the ins and outs of hardware but not much.

So to the questions. RE the Diploma. If I was to look for a FAS course or similar to do for this year to upskill or ad-on skills to that, what should I be looking for. To broaden the IT term etc. Suggestions greatly received.

And then what is the employment prospects like for both of these careers in Canada - various locations (I haven't pinpointed where I want to go yet, job availability would be a factor). I ask about both cos A, I don't know which of the two I'd rather do atm and B, if my medical doesn't go well that strikes the Childcare off completely and leaves me just the IT side of things.

I also know that I probably cannot do much upskilling courses whilst on my WHV so anything I can do I need to do here before I travel.

Sorry for the long windedness etc and thanks in advance for any answers

Comments

Advertisement