Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC T20 World Cup

• 08-09-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

I know Sky will show it live as usual but does anyone know if highlights of the matches will be shown on any of the terrestrial channels?:(

If we get anything close to yesterday's match between Australia and Pakistan it should be a cracker of a world cup:)

Sri Lanka start favourites I reckon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Well I guess we have to be favourites to win our first game now :p

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-australia-2012/content/current/story/581389.html

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

came across a good article here http://gamblerfalls.com/icc-t20-world-cup-betting-preview/
    gives you squads aswell which is good for people like me who don't know each team well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice start for Ireland, thumping Zimbabwae in a warm up match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nice start for Ireland, thumping Zimbabwae in a warm up match

Yep, all going along nicely - but T20 is so hit and miss, it's impossible to say with any certainty how any of the games are going to go - that's what makes it so exciting! I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Delighted George Dockrell won the Affiliate Player of the Year award today. He has been an immense bowler for Ireland and is just 20 years of age. How good is he going to be.

Ireland are really upping their game in this T20, all players are fully fit and by all accounts ( from reading Kevin O'Briens Blog etc) have never been as focused, fully fit, or as experienced as they are now.

I just can't wait to see Ireland in action in the T20 World Cup. I think so many players will surprise us. I think Niall O' Brien will have a huge tournament as well as Paul Stirling and Gary Wilson. It be interesting to see how Porterfield and Boyd Rankin do. Especially Rankin. As his last turnout for Ireland he has little to prove to us as Irish supporters, but to future England selectors he has a lot on his plate.

My tip for Irish person of the tournament will have to be Niall O'Brien. being just one ball off a century for Northamptonshire coming into the tournament, I fell (Niall) has yet to show his true class on the Ireland stage unlike younger brother Kevin.

Kevin is lucky in a way as no one expects a repeat of Bangalore from him. For that reason and him being vice captain I reckon the Irish team, on paper looking fighting fit and we are set for a very good Irish turnout. Considering the size of our squad getting a result from any team will be tough, but I believe we will see some of the best Irish Cricket performances to date happen in the Sri Lanka T20 World Cup

• Advertisement

Very handy win for Sri Lanka today over Zimbabwae, winning by 82 runs an absolute landslide in T20.

Very handy win for Sri Lanka today over Zimbabwae, winning by 82 runs an absolute landslide in T20.

Poor fielding by Zimbabwae - you can't win a game like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What time does the Ireland game actually start? I'm in college so I'll be looking for a stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What time does the Ireland game actually start? I'm in college so I'll be looking for a stream

Coverage starts at 11:00 but the game begins at 11:30.

Oops!! The game starts at 11:00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Particularly horrible kit the Aussies have got. Zero crowd or atmosphere, hope the tournament fills up a bit later on into it.

• Advertisement

Terrible start for Ireland 0 for 1 already.

Anyone know where I can watch this online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

2 down for ireland now, 16 runs on the board, 4 over gone, not a good start at all

Ed Joyce picking it up a bit, he needs to stay in for a while and score well

Ed Joyce picking it up a bit, he needs to stay in for a while and score well

Gone, going to struggle to get to 100 the way things are going

Anyone know where I can watch this online?

PM sent.

Another one down. 33 for 4 after 7.2

4 down for 33 now.. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Gyalist wrote: »
    PM sent.

Can you PM me the link as well? :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Streams to be sent by PM only - thank you for your cooperation so far.

Only legal streams can be shared on boards.ie - we do not support or condone copyright violation.

• Advertisement

Kevin O'Brien doing a good job so far, hopefully he can bat through.

Edit: there goes Niall for 20

Edit 2: Scratch that, both O'Briens gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

6 down, not looking good :(

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Gyalist wrote: »
    PM sent.

Can you PM me the link as well? :p

Done.

123-7 in the end, not a good score but I'm actually pretty satisfied with it, I thought we were on for an embarrassment after the early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

To get to that total after 33-4 inside 8 overs is great but really have no chance of holding Australia off

We could be on for a 10 wicket defeat here..

Edit:Dockrell with the breakthrough a few minutes later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Who is the Aussie commentator? He just said "That's very 'Irish', being 20 and playing in a under 19s World Cup".

Nice to see an empty stadium. Didn't that happen in the West Indies too? Charging €40 a ticket in a developing country leaves you with an empty stadiums and no atmosphere. Lets hope they learn the lesson before Bangladesh in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Rascasse wrote: »
    Who is the Aussie commentator? He just said "That's very 'Irish', being 20 and playing in a under 19s World Cup".

Nice to see an empty stadium. Didn't that happen in the West Indies too? Charging €40 a ticket in a developing country leaves you with an empty stadiums and no atmosphere. Lets hope they learn the lesson before Bangladesh in 2 years.

In fairness to Sri Lanka the ticket prices are very very cheap, I was thinking of going and I think the second best tickets were like €8, maybe €15 at most for the best and that's for a double header too.

That dopey Oz commentator should have checked the rules for the under-19 WC before coming out with that, think a few of his countrymen were the same age as Dockrell too.

When England played earlier in the year they were charging £25 a ticket to the tourists and £2.50 a ticket to the locals. England fans were up in arms over the disparity but to me it makes sense for the rich to support the poor.

The ICC know that these are poor countries so why not in the first round let people in for €1 or €2. Seems pointless playing in empty stadiums.

• Advertisement

Afghanistan versus India now, anyone else following? Afghanistan have taken a wicket already, I'd love for them to go on and put in a good performance or even get a win.

When England played earlier in the year they were charging £25 a ticket to the tourists and £2.50 a ticket to the locals. England fans were up in arms over the disparity but to me it makes sense for the rich to support the poor.

The ICC know that these are poor countries so why not in the first round let people in for €1 or €2. Seems pointless playing in empty stadiums.

The cheapest tickets are around that price! Did you check at all?

In fairness to Sri Lanka the ticket prices are very very cheap, I was thinking of going and I think the second best tickets were like €8, maybe €15 at most for the best and that's for a double header too.

That dopey Oz commentator should have checked the rules for the under-19 WC before coming out with that, think a few of his countrymen were the same age as Dockrell too.

The eligibility rules are slightly different for the Associate countries. They are allowed to play U-20 players in the U-19 World Cup. Even if George were playing for one of the Full Members he still would have met their U-19 eligibility criteria.

The cheapest tickets are around that price! Did you check at all?

Why would I check? One would ssume that in a country where cricket is the big sport the chance to spend an evening watching Australia & India play cricket would get more than a few hundred locals in.

Why would I check? One would ssume that in a country where cricket is the big sport the chance to spend an evening watching Australia & India play cricket would get more than a few hundred locals in.

I dunno, maybe to have some facts to bolster your argument?:rolleyes:

Prices are cheap, but if Sri Lanka aren't playing they're not too bothered.

What on earth was Rauf thinking there? Even on my poxy TV you could see the huge inside edge on that.

No reviews thanks to India.

Afghans going to run out of men, again.

• Advertisement

Impressed with that performance from Afghanistan, I think they will definitely give England a game.

Yeah it was a good performance from Afghanistan, pity they just collapsed a bit at one point.

I wouldnt be surprised if Afghanistan continue to struggle to get games against full members if they keep playing so well. If I was Bangla or Zim I certainly wouldnt want to play them too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Impressed with that performance from Afghanistan, I think they will definitely give England a game.

England unlike India have quality bowlers so no England should batter them really.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    dooferoaks wrote: »

England unlike India have quality bowlers so no England should batter them really.

Watching it it looked like the indians couldn't be bothered/going through the motions. The Afghanis wouldn't be a bad side if they could just hold on to their wickets a bit longer. Should be a comfortable England win tomorrow. Bang v NZ tomorrow too - probably the better match to watch.

Horrible fielding by the Afghans. England cruising to 170+

• Advertisement

Well I thought it might be a closeish game but as most here have said, I have been proved wrong and its going to be a VERY comfortable win for England.

Afghanistan 17 for 3 chasing 197 to win

Associates really doing themselves no favours in this tournament to date :(

Associates really doing themselves no favours in this tournament to date :(

Yes indeed. The Associates need to play excellently and hope for a slip up by opponents.

There is more scope in a ODI - more pressure in T20 when not scoring or not taking wickets.

Nice little rally there from Afghanistan to go from 28-8 to finish on 80.

Yeah really didn't look they'd get half that when 8 down.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Aus v Windies. If I were a betting man I'd have a small flutter on the Windies to win the tournament. Should be a good one.

Looking like something of a boost for Ireland. Aussies ahead on D/L with the rain pelting down. They are 100-1 off 9.1 overs chasing 192 to win, but rain has stopped play, they have just 20 mins more to get back out there.

If they stay off then it will be a straight shootout between The Windies and Ireland on Monday for second place in the group. Chris Gayle and the Windies batting looking scarey though

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Yep, I think they knock of an over every 4 mins. Probably the most exciting game so far. Shame to go to DL And there it's called . Aussies win by 17 runs. Shane Watson MON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

Another shocking start

Porterfield's 5th first-baller in 28 innings this year according to cricketeurope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Match abandoned now, and that ends Ireland's T20 World cup this year..

Follows a similar pattern from the 2010 T20 world cup where Ireland were denied by rain (and England who barely squeezed through but improved a great deal to win the tournament)

• Advertisement
Advertisement