Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house, haunted?

Options
  • 08-09-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Myself and the fiancee moved into a new house last month in Limerick. Previous owner was a priest a good few years back. A few things have been happening that have reasonable explanations but seem as if they come directly from haunting movies (maybe I've watched way too many horror movies in my time).

Leaving my office, pencils moved location and wires unplugged. Tooth brush outside the bathroom on the floor. Lights turning on. Sound of moving chairs downstairs.

Two nights ago I turned on the presence sensor on my Sony Bravia (TV turns on when you walk in the room). At about half 1 in the morning I was awoken by the TV (which was off before I went to bed). The presence sensor turned it on. Went downstairs, turned it off and went back to bed. I have an app that records voice while you sleep (to tell you if you sleep talk).

(RE: Attached file: Sound Recording) At 2:04 my fiancee screamed in her sleep and at 2:05 I started speaking in tongue (at least I think it was me).

Anyone have a reasonable explanation for the stuff that has been happening lately? Or if you are good at decoding what that recording says?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zhaelthas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself and the fiancee moved into a new house last month in Limerick. Previous owner was a priest a good few years back. A few things have been happening that have reasonable explanations but seem as if they come directly from haunting movies (maybe I've watched way too many horror movies in my time).

Leaving my office, pencils moved location and wires unplugged. Tooth brush outside the bathroom on the floor. Lights turning on. Sound of moving chairs downstairs.

Two nights ago I turned on the presence sensor on my Sony Bravia (TV turns on when you walk in the room). At about half 1 in the morning I was awoken by the TV (which was off before I went to bed). The presence sensor turned it on. Went downstairs, turned it off and went back to bed. I have an app that records voice while you sleep (to tell you if you sleep talk).

(RE: Attached file: Sound Recording) At 2:04 my fiancee screamed in her sleep and at 2:05 I started speaking in tongue (at least I think it was me).

Anyone have a reasonable explanation for the stuff that has been happening lately? Or if you are good at decoding what that recording says?

How old is the house? Do you have pets? Objects like pencils being moved could indicate the presence of rodents. This would also account for the telly being turned on by a motion detector. Watch out for poo or signs of chewing.

If it's an old house the lights turning on or off could be down to bad wiring. The sounds of chairs being moved is probably just the wood in the house settling as it contracts because of the change in temperature between day and night.

re: you and your fiancee's night time sounds are probably just from ye having weird dreams. If you're not prone to talking in your sleep, it's possible that your worries about noises in the house are causing you to have disturbed sleep. The voice on the recording sounds male; you, I'm assuming, and it sounds like normal sleep-talking nonsense to me.

Don't fret, check for signs of mice or rats, turn your telly off at the power source (it'll save you money rather than leaving it on standby), and get your wires checked for faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zhaelthas

Thanks for the reply Kylith.
    I knew there was a logical explanation for everything. No pets, New enough house (About 15 years old max) and no sign of pests but I will keep my eyes open. The sound recording just surprised me because I never heard myself speak like that before. Guess I can say myself and the fiancee were having the same dream :)

So until furniture flies across the room or I speak another language in a recording, I'll pass it off as my paranoid subconscious getting the better of me.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

I want to listen to the recording but i'm afraid to lol. I love ghost stories but im such a whimp sometimes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If the voice is yours, I admit it sounds like you are speaking VERY rapidly in the recording, but I don't think the lack of clarity in the content is anything significant. Most folks talk rubbish when they are sleep-talking.

Is there a chance you were 'sleep-praying'?? Sounded a bit like how I remember nuns and priests rattling off a novena or something. If not, that is the only thing that I would attribute to a paranormal presence (the priest, that is, if he is deceased).

The other stuff sounds kind of 'haunty' but also can be explained by many things. I usually would not assume anything unless seeing something with my own eyes.
    Saying that, I experienced loads of activity and sightings in the house I grew up in, but still would not put noises or moved objects down to a ghost.

The main giveaway would be if you FEEL something odd about the house that you can't put your finger on.

PS I knew of someone who spoke another language while sleep talking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Slowed it down and put it through some audio software. And the message I can make out is "look around the other rooms...the rest of us are real"

Whatever that means, I don't know.

The former priest could have been doing Satanic rituals in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

krd wrote: »
    Slowed it down and put it through some audio software. And the message I can make out is "look around the other rooms...the rest of us are real"

:eek:

krd wrote: »

Whatever that means, I don't know.

The former priest could have been doing Satanic rituals in the house.
    `

Damn that's creepy!! But how do you get satanic rituals from that message?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Rasmus wrote: »
    `

Damn that's creepy!! But how do you get satanic rituals from that message?

I didn't.

I was just speculating.

If the house previously belonged to a priest, who had left the priesthood, then maybe he'd gone to the other side. Maybe he was thrown out for practising the forbidden arts.

There are people who believe Lucifer is the true son of God. And that Jesus of Nazareth is the anti-christ.

And when you consider, the calumny the Nazarenes would cast on the Satanists. That Satanists took pleasure in sexually and physically abusing children. Where there is no evidence of this. On the other hand, the leaders of the Church of Christ have been seen to greedily indulge in these supposedly "Satanic" practices. You would have to ask, who the true Christ is.

It's possible, our former priest, was using the house as a place for rituals to release the good spirits, trapped by the black magic of the followers of the anti-christ; Jesus of Nazareth. But he failed, as the power of the wicked and evil is always very strong. And they're just half out. Trapped in the rooms. Needing just one last push to be free. ....All they can do is whisper to you in your sleep.

That's still just speculation.

It could be that the priest used the house to trap wicked spirits. And they should not be released.

Again, just speculation.

Rightio.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zhaelthas wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Kylith.
    I knew there was a logical explanation for everything. No pets, New enough house (About 15 years old max) and no sign of pests but I will keep my eyes open. The sound recording just surprised me because I never heard myself speak like that before. Guess I can say myself and the fiancee were having the same dream :)

So until furniture flies across the room or I speak another language in a recording, I'll pass it off as my paranoid subconscious getting the better of me.

Much appreciated.
    I wouldn't even be too worried about that. The subconcious picks up all kinds of things and speaking in a language which you have any kind of basic knowledge in while asleep would probably be down to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The talking in your sleep is very common, people just don't realise it as most of the time everyone in the house is asleep when it occurs, read up on Somniloquy to put your mind at ease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somniloquy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

to be fair, there isnt much there to suggest anything paranormal. talking in your sleep can be natural enough thing, the auto sensor on the tv is technology - and things like sensors can always act a bit unpredictably. As for things moving and sounds - a few weeks of making a diary of such things and of having a camera running to see if it can capture the same would be the best way forward. Even then, theres a very very high probability there wont be anything to capture.

Advertisement