Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Importing a used bike from uk english vat?

• 08-09-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey guys,

so i want to get my bike in the UK ive seen a few dealers with the one i want. Im wondering can i buy it without vat from the dealer? I know if you buy a new bike you can do this but ive no idea about used? any help would be great i know i have to pay the 100vrt coming in here anyway.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jono! wrote: »
    Hey guys,

so i want to get my bike in the UK ive seen a few dealers with the one i want. Im wondering can i buy it without vat from the dealer? I know if you buy a new bike you can do this but ive no idea about used? any help would be great i know i have to pay the 100vrt coming in here anyway.

cheers

Yes if you can show a valid Irish VAT number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hey guys,

cheers

Yes, you can do this. I just did. You need to complete UK VAT Form 411 in duplicate and send both to the dealer. Photocopies are not allowed. You will also need to send at least 2 proofs of address to the dealer as they need to prove to HMRC & the DVLA that the bike is to be exported.

And since the DVLA's are such unhelpful morons, they may also require a letter from the Pope or Queen.

Here's the form:
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_Forms&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000046

P.S. This is ONLY for new bikes. There's a different form for 2nd hand bikes. It's on the same website somewhere.

Be aware, that if you buy the bike 'for export', it is illegal to drive the bike on UK Roads. In doing so, the bike can be seized. Once you get the bike here, you have 7 days to arrange an appointment to register it at an NCTS centre, and 30 days to complete the registration. You will have to pay the Irish VAT on what the NCTS centre 'thinks' you bike is worth, along with VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jono!

Ah i see thank you a lot CrazyRabbit. So if i pay the vat in england will i still have to pay it here when i bring the bike back? this is a much more complicated process than i expected.

How did you find it was it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If it is a second hand bike, you don't have an option. You have to pay the asking price in the UK.

If it is a new bike, then what was said above stands.

VAT is only on new bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ah i see thank you a lot CrazyRabbit. So if i pay the vat in england will i still have to pay it here when i bring the bike back? this is a much more complicated process than i expected.

How did you find it was it worth it?

For new bikes...if you pay the VAT in the UK, you still have to pay the VAT in Ireland, unless the bike is left in the UK for 6 months and has over 6000km on it (since bought). After that, Irish law does not consider it a new bike, hence no VAT. I suppose that you could reclaim the UK VAT later on, but it would be a pain.

In the EU, you only have to pay VAT in the destination country. Saying that, each country has their own rules about when VAT applies, and what is considered a 'new' vehicle.

Overall, I saved about €800 (even after transport costs). But, it also took almost 2 months extra. I only bought from the UK as there were no reputable dealerships in Ireland that would sell a specific Aprilia bike to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

P.C. wrote: »
    If it is a second hand bike, you don't have an option. You have to pay the asking price in the UK.

If it is a new bike, then what was said above stands.

VAT is only on new bikes.

Not really...if a s/h bike has less than 6000km you'll have to pay vat

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mail2adobe1

VAT
    If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.
    [IT HAS TO BE IN USED FOR MORE THEN 6 MONTHS "OR" HAS TO HAVE MORE THEN 6000 KM OF MILLAGE]

If you are importing a new or second hand car from outside the EU, VAT (and customs duty) is payable. Customs duty is paid when the vehicle first enters the EU, at the point of entry. You must have proof of payment of this when you are registering the car in Ireland - see 'How to apply' below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure tis a fine bit of info on a 2 year old thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mail2adobe1

i hope that dude managed to figure it out much earlier :)

just google and enter: "VAT and VRT on Transactions involving Motor Vehicles"

Happy 2015 year!

Advertisement