Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping a deposit

• 08-09-2012 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I want people's opinions on this, somewhat of a moral dilemma.

Guy was meant to move into our flat on Sept 5. He paid the rent for August to keep the room. Due to move in on Sept 5 when he returned from his holidays. Rent due Sept 1. He calls me on Wednesday morning saying he wants to live with his girlfriend.

I re-advertised straight away and had viewings that night. Found a guy to move in but he doesn't want to move until the 16th. I could get someone in sooner but I like this guy.

Deposit is one month's rent, £330. So I take half a month for the empty room until the new guy moves in. What's a fair amount to keep for the major pain in the ass of filling the room at short notice and having to use my own cash to pay the rent as he didn't pay? Took a day between advertising, photos, replying to emails, preparing the flat for viewings and the actual viewings. I'm toying with taking 40 for myself and the same for my flatmate and giving him back what's left.

What do you think's fair? Some people are telling me to keep it all and f#ck him, but I don't want to f#ck the guy over either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Only what you pay to cover the cost until the new tenant moves in.

Give the rest back unless you want him to make a case out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Agree with Casillas
    Plus this thread be better of here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Casillas wrote: »
    Only what you pay to cover the cost until the new tenant moves in.

Give the rest back unless you want him to make a case out of this.

I would agree with this.

A judge might see that you were only trying to recuperate your losses (due to his sudden withdrawing from an agreement) and to do that there was additional charges you had to bring to bear, to make that happen.

Overcharge and the man might have a case for being ripped off.

Keep all paperwork and receipts for a while.
    Document and date everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Try here, OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement