Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC is just too hot!

Options
  • 08-09-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I got a bargain on a machine, i7 3.4, 8 gigs of ram, 2tb hdd, and a radeon hd7450 + other stuff.

The GFX card was just weak, so I replaced it with an evga geforce GTX 660ti. Now, the machine rocks and handles everything with ease. But there is a lot of heat coming out.

the GPU idles at about 37 degrees, but when I put a load onto it it goes up to and stays around 72-76. I've read that the threshold is 95ish.

Earlier today I loaded up trackmania (not really gfx intensive) and after 4/5 mins, the screen just went black. Could hear stuff going on, but couldnt see anything. The only option was a soft powerdown and the machine restarted with the fans going NUTS! Loads of heat came out of the back vent, this went on for 30 seconds before I did another soft power down. Restarted the machine and went into windows normally.

So now I've opend the case a little, closer to the GFX card to try cool it down and now its idling at about the same, and ingame about 70, a few degrees lower.

I dont overclock, I could even underclock if I'm honest as the machine handles everything I play with ease and playing games at 150fps is no real difference to playing them at 500 which I am currently doing! I just need to match my monitors refresh rate.

The case I'm using is pretty tightly packed imo, and the gfx card has about an inch and a half space from the PSU. So I'm thinking that if I was to get a new case maybe this will help the heat situation. I dont mind spending a few quid on it, but I'd like some cheap options if anyone can recommend anything. I want to blast that gfx card with as much cool air as possible!

If anyone has any ideas as to how to make my current rig cooler with alternative methods, I'm all ears!

Cheers!

Comments

Advertisement