Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dizziness after smoking

Options
  • 08-09-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hey all. just sharing my experience of my smoking days. i had smoked for 6 or 7 years then about a year ago i was smoking and got very dizzy and lightheaded to the point of blacking out. i found this weird as i know when i first started smoking i got the whole dizziness inhaing for the first couple weeks but was perfect after this. what could be the explanation? it came on all of a sudden. i was just moking and got ridiculously light headed and almost passed out so i had to lie down. then after that fag it kept happening and i eventually gave them up. this was a year ago. i was stressed out a couple weeks ago and decided to have one and straight after it i got lightheaded and fit to pass out again. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

hey all. just sharing my experience of my smoking days. i had smoked for 6 or 7 years then about a year ago i was smoking and got very dizzy and lightheaded to the point of blacking out. i found this weird as i know when i first started smoking i got the whole dizziness inhaing for the first couple weeks but was perfect after this. what could be the explanation? it came on all of a sudden. i was just moking and got ridiculously light headed and almost passed out so i had to lie down. then after that fag it kept happening and i eventually gave them up. this was a year ago. i was stressed out a couple weeks ago and decided to have one and straight after it i got lightheaded and fit to pass out again. any suggestions?

Yeah... Don't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johnbobtheslob

Yeah... Don't smoke.

I dont smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Anybody ever mention that you go really pale or your lips go blue when after smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johnbobtheslob

No never. It's an odd one, probably a good thing seen as it has made me give them up. I was just curious to see has anyone experienced anything like this or shed some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

No never. It's an odd one, probably a good thing seen as it has made me give them up. I was just curious to see has anyone experienced anything like this or shed some light on it.

My money would be on something to do with a lack of oxygen personally. But then I am not a doctor,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Funnily enough this has happened me once or twice...without the blackouts though.

I've just felt faint/lightheaded after a smoke even after smoking for years.

I did a little research, it turns out smoking creates hyperglycemia-extremely high blood sugar.

So the nicotine as we know releases dopamine in the brain (hence why smoking feels good) as well as expending the bodies sugar supply into the blood stream. Afterwards, our blood sugar levels are low from the quick release.

Hence the faint feeling after, particularly occurs when smoking on an empty stomach (no sugar reserves) etc.

A coca cola or orange juice after or during the smoke ensures this doent happen, so that must be the reason. in my opinion anyway, could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Get Real wrote: »
    Funnily enough this has happened me once or twice...without the blackouts though.

I've just felt faint/lightheaded after a smoke even after smoking for years.

I did a little research, it turns out smoking creates hyperglycemia-extremely high blood sugar.

So the nicotine as we know releases dopamine in the brain (hence why smoking feels good) as well as expending the bodies sugar supply into the blood stream. Afterwards, our blood sugar levels are low from the quick release.

Hence the faint feeling after, particularly occurs when smoking on an empty stomach (no sugar reserves) etc.

A coca cola or orange juice after or during the smoke ensures this doent happen, so that must be the reason. in my opinion anyway, could be wrong.

If this happens, drink a bottle of lucozade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 polymath

I think this is a perfect excuse to quit smoking and is a good sign that you really should opt not to smoke. Or, it may only be because of the brand you are smoking. You may be allergic to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I tried to give these damn rolly tobacco cigs up a few months ago myself but after the third day i was getting real hyper and this continued there-after so i had a sneaky one and i felt grand and relaxed again. I don't like the effect of being that hyper all the time for some reason thats why i went back on them. It's not easy to give them up i have to say but i personally will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

zenno wrote: »
    If this happens, drink a bottle of lucozade.

Yeah you're right :) as i said below that, coca cola, orange juice... any drink with glucose..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I had a tooth abscess a while back and whenever i smoked i'd get dizzy light headed and then faint

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Read the charter!

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement