Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom router = new problem!

Options
  • 08-09-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

I've had nothing but problems with Eircom for ages, the router I had must have had a loose connection and I had years of problems where if the router was not moved it was fine, but God forbid you happen to budge it a millimetre because then it would drop the DSL connection and I'd spend the next hour moving it around a mm at a time until it picked up again.

Eventually I stopped them fobbing me off with the usual guff about connecting directly, resetting the router etc and made them send me a new one. This is where it gets wierd.

The house is a bungalow and the router is in the centre of the roofspace so that I can pick up the signal at both ends of the house. This was fine with the old router (when it was working). Now with the new one I have a strange issue. If I'm in the middle of the house, using the phone or laptop to test, I get online no problem. 4 bars and no problem. If I go to the bedroom it drops to about 2 bars but I still get a solid connection.

But If I go the other end of the house, into the living room, it again drops to 2 or 3 bars, but it won't connect. The wifi connection on the laptop still says it's connected but "no access", or "limited access". The phone shows the connection has strength but under wifi connections it says "authentication error".

Move back towards the centre and it connects again. Surely if it was just that I'm too far from the router I would be coming up out of range?

What the hell is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gruby

check if you are not picking up your neighbor's router signal.....
    check how connection behaves while you move from one side of your bungalow to the other...
    finally relocate your router...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

gruby wrote: »
    check if you are not picking up your neighbor's router signal.....
    check how connection behaves while you move from one side of your bungalow to the other...
    finally relocate your router...

Definitely not the neighbours connection. I know their network name and my own.

As above, I can move to both ends of the house and I still show as having 2-3 bars of my own signal but when I move to the living room it loses connection despite still showing a signal.

The router is in the same place as the old one was and I never had this issue before. I could move the router further towards the living room end of the house but then I'll lose connection in the bedroom. Plus it's not that long a house that I should be unable to reach both ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

You could try a different wireless channel.

If you want to really get into it download inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and check which is the channel least in use in the area and select that channel.

jspuds wrote: »

If you want to really get into it download inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and check which is the channel least in use in the area and select that channel.

How do I change wireless channel?

PS, would I be better investing in a decent router? I keep reading nothing but problems with the standard issue Eircom ones. Would it be worth my while just spending 30-40 Euro and getting a decent one?

• Advertisement

jspuds wrote: »

Figured out how to change the channel. Switched from 11 to 7 and the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks!

EDIT...
    Spoke too soon.

Same issue still happening.

EDIT AGAIN...

I've changed the channel again and so far it's holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

The best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11 (these channels don't overlap)

Find out what channel your neighbour is on and pick whichever channel of 1, 6 or 11 is a minimum of five channels away from theirs for best chance of minimising interference.

iPhone. wrote: »
    The best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11 (these channels don't overlap)

Find out what channel your neighbour is on and pick whichever channel of 1, 6 or 11 is a minimum of five channels away from theirs for best chance of minimising interference.

I have 2 neighbours. One on 1, one on 6. I was on 11 and having problems. Tried 10.and 9 but couldn't connect wirelessly at all. Eventually settled on 2 and it seems to work. The neighbours on 1 are quite far away, I don't often pick up their network at all and only 1 bar when I do.

Have had no issues since changing to 2 so I'll see how it goes.

Advertisement