Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio vs Education.

• 08-09-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

If you were going to hire someone to do a job would you rather see a good portfolio or someone up to say a masters level of education?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Portfolio definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Portfolio - but I'd make them talk me through it, line by line (of code) - if they were able to do that to my satisfaction I wouldn't care if their level of education didn't go beyond hedge school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Good portfolio, always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What's your real question? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you were going to hire someone to do a job would you rather see a good portfolio or someone up to say a masters level of education?
    Hire them for what kind of job?

Designer, then a portfolio would be of most interest - can you even get a masters in 'Web design'?

Developer (by that I mean a programmer), then past experience would be important, although this is not always possible to really catalogue in a portfolio, but some level of formal education in computer science would also be important, and in this economic climate essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

...also be important, and in this economic climate essential.

Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

KonFusion wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this?
    If seeking employment, the number of CV's that a company looking to hire someone will get has naturally ballooned. Where once you may have been lucky to get 3 or 4, now you might easily get over 30.

With this increased competition for fewer jobs, applicants need every edge they can get, and like it or not qualifications are likely to be that little extra that will get one applicant picked over another, even though their experiences and portfolios are on a par.

Advertisement