Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for non-web development job suggestions

Options
  • 08-09-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Just looking for opinions on the IT job market these days. Is it the case that the vast majority of jobs are in developing websites or are there other sectors where computer programming is in high demand?

95% of the programming I do is website related and I don't particularly like this area so I'm wondering what other areas are worth looking into? I have a maths background too so I would be interested in areas where I could put that to use. I have two years left in college and I would like to now start working towards a particular job type. So can anyone suggest some well paying computer programming jobs that aren't web related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I manage to stay employed as a programmer and I have never done any web development. C++ jobs don't rely on web technologies much, unless you are writing a web server - which still isn't web development :pac: Web stuff just gets used for frontend stuff really, there is always lots of backend development that is the more traditional kind.

Go work in finance, they love science/maths. Still gonna be writing boring web frontends tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

srsly78 wrote: »
    I manage to stay employed as a programmer and I have never done any web development. C++ jobs don't rely on web technologies much, unless you are writing a web server - which still isn't web development :pac: Web stuff just gets used for frontend stuff really, there is always lots of backend development that is the more traditional kind.

Go work in finance, they love science/maths. Still gonna be writing boring web frontends tho.

Any particular languages and/or frameworks you would recommend learning if I was to go into finance down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

httpete wrote: »
    Any particular languages and/or frameworks you would recommend learning if I was to go into finance down the line?

.Net really is the direction things are going in finance so try c#. Also useful to know some cobol as you will no doubt in finance be asked to look at or rewrite it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

caff wrote: »
    .Net really is the direction things are going in finance so try c#. Also useful to know some cobol as you will no doubt in finance be asked to look at or rewrite it.

Out of curiosity why is finance going in the direction of c#. Is it just that in the past they used a lof of VB and this is seen as a superior language or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

J2EE development has some elements of web development, but most of it is databases, JMS messages, Web Services, security, enterprise java beans etc.

Plenty of jobs in J2EE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Out of curiosity why is finance going in the direction of c#. Is it just that in the past they used a lof of VB and this is seen as a superior language or what?

Pretty much yeah, they use microsoft heavily on the desktop. Especially excel/vba/c#. Linux and java etc is also heavily used, but more for backend stuff.

Advertisement