Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog shít on footpaths.

• 08-09-2012 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Its everywhere ffs, you cant go for a walk without stepping in the stinking stuff. How do we solve this horrific problem ?

I'd be in favour of doubling/tripling dog licences to pay for the cleaning of footpaths and shooting dead any unlicensed dog and their owners. But I've been told I'm a bit too "extreme" about these things.

So what do we do when people are too thick and ignorant to clean up after their stupid dogs ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

people have to eat the dog shi/t if they're caught not picking it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

yes... dog sh1t...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Wait one generation

Leaving dog crap on the footpath is no longer socially acceptable so in time the issue should sort itself out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Vapoorize is yer only man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Blast it with dog piss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Scioch wrote: »
    Its everywhere ffs, you cant go for a walk without stepping in the stinking stuff. How do we solve this horrific problem ?

I'd be in favour of doubling/tripling dog licences to pay for the cleaning of footpaths and shooting dead any unlicensed dog and their owners. But I've been told I'm a bit too "extreme" about these things.

So what do we do when people are too thick and ignorant to clean up after their stupid dogs ?

Just shoot the owners - the dogs surely are not to blame - they're just doing what they have to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Not a fear of my ever picking up aftr my dog ****. Why would i? I am from the country and walk on country roads. Do you think that all the farmers will go around and pick up after there cow sh1t? Nope. So 1 little dog sh1t isn't going to make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Surely there should be some sort of sand/detergent/clay stuff you could cover it up with.
    I understand how dog owners wouldnt be into the whole pick it up, put it in a bag and carry it round with you for an hour thing.
    But dumping something on top of the dump so people dont have to see the dump should be commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I live beside an equestrian centre.

Paths are always full of horse poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I hate it too, not to the extremes that the OP does but I hate it all the same. If someone is responsible enough to own a dog, they should be responsible enough to pick up after it. If it was on the floor in their house they'd clean it up.... hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

L
    Not a fear of my ever picking up aftr my dog ****. Why would i? I am from the country and walk on country roads. Do you think that all the farmers will go around and pick up after there cow sh1t? Nope. So 1 little dog sh1t isn't going to make any difference

Read the thread title. Footpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

We should sh1t in kennels. Give dogs a taste of their own medicine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It'd be nice if a bin was supplied every couple of miles or so.

Dont think people would expect you to pick it up in the countryside but a town centre or city are a different story

Rigol wrote: »
    Surely there should be some sort of sand/detergent/clay stuff you could cover it up with.
    I understand how dog owners wouldnt be into the whole pick it up, put it in a bag and carry it round with you thing.
    But dumping something on top of the dump so people dont have to see the dump should be commonplace.

What's wrong with picking it up with a plastic bag - glove-like and putting into the nearest bin? I did it all the time and it's no problem. It's called taking responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

There is much to be learn-ed from beasts.

Fingal cc did do that. They also had cardboard pooper scoopers next to the bins for people to take with them. Not sure if they still stock them with all the cuts

There is much to be learn-ed from beasts.

They sure-ly be the best teach-ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Just shoot the owners - the dogs surely are not to blame - they're just doing what they have to do!

But then the pound would fill up, best just wipe out the entire problem. Dog and owner in one fell swoop.

What's wrong with picking it up with a plastic bag - glove-like and putting into the nearest bin? I did it all the time and it's no problem. It's called taking responsibility.

Well not that I have a dog but I'd imagine the average person is a bit averse to coming into direct contact with dog ****.
    As such its something people don't want to do so unless theres enforcement it wont be done.

• Advertisement

There is bins on the road I walk and its still everywhere. I wouldnt say it would matter if there was a bin every two foot. They just wouldnt bother their holes picking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I think the problem lies with all the vacant shops that have to let signs in the windows. It seems dogs are getting it mixed up and thinking it says toilet, dogs arent good readers as far as i know so maybe this could be it.
    Its the only reasonable explanation i have anyway.

Well not that I have a dog but I'd imagine the average person is a bit averse to coming into direct contact with dog ****.
    As such its something people don't want to do so unless theres enforcement it wont be done.

your hand doesn't actually come into contact with the sh**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emq2BsFE3cg

and it's a hell of a lot easier than changing a nappy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I always pick up after my dog, but seriously I'd appreciate if they could put in a few bins in the area. There are none on my road because the kids actually pulled them out of the ground, even when they were replaced. But there are pretty much none anywhere in the area, even on nicer roads where you wouldn't have issues of children pulling them up. I think more bins would encourage people a bit more.

I do hate it though, I mind children a bit and you have to watch where they're walking so they don't step in it. Cleaning dog **** off a child's shoe is not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I for one would love to know why there's no longer white dog ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

mauzo wrote: »

Whatever about dogs, one of our neighbours recently acquired a miniature horse like a shetland pony, no bigger than a toy hobby horse, they must be feeding the damn thing laxatives because it's EVERYWHERE!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I had to look after my parents dog this week. Feeling the texture of his **** in my plastic bage covered hand is not nice. Being honest I only cleaned his **** up in my back garden. Wasn't bothered when walking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Raising the cost of a dog licence isn't going to do much. Quite a few dog owners don't actually own a dog licence.
    I always pick up after my dog, those poop bags are grand tbh. I absolutely detest dog owners who let their dogs crap everywhere & don't clean up. It's disgusting.
    But you would be amazed at how horrified people are when they see me picking up my dogs poo in a plastic bag & carrying it until I find a bin. The same people would have a bigger problem if I left it there steaming away on the path.

Basically there are many, many people who shouldn't own dogs because they have no concept of how to care & look after them properly. Part of having a dog is picking up their waste if you are using a public area. If you can't do that then keep the dog at home or find it a new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

"Golden Brown out on the town.
    Golden Brown smelling like hell.
    Gets on your shoes gives you the blues,
    ALWAYS a frown with golden brown....."

refers to the rear-end production of a golden retriever or similar breed.........

"In days of old when men were bold and toilets not invented,
    they dumped their load upon the road and walked off quite contented.
    Now mans best friend it never ends will relieve himself at will,
    On concrete urban walkways his urges to fulfil.
    His owner if caught in the act a fine will have to face,
    1,000 irish punts or 12 hundred euros now much to his disgrace."

Robert Browning would be aghast at my poetic abilities re: Canine ordure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I never clean up my dogs sh!t because my dog ****s on the grass. If you walk on the grass when the footpath is right there then tough titties for you! Alse people would laugh at me carrying dog **** around the place with no bins to be seen.

Also seeing people step in dog poo is so funny!

keithb93 wrote: »
    I never clean up my dogs sh!t because my dog ****s on the grass. If you walk on the grass when the footpath is right there then tough titties for you! Alse people would laugh at me carrying dog **** around the place with no bins to be seen.

I'd mash it off your face if I stood in your dogs crap

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

The only mashing you would be doing is into dog poo.

Seriously, if you're not willing to pick up after your dog, don't get a dog. It's the same as having a baby & not wanting to change dirty nappies. You made the decision to look after it so do so.

girl in the striped socks - you can't really say they should leave the dog at home because that isn't fair on the dog. Also, if your dog is kept in the garden you still need to clean up. Can't leave the garden covered in dog ****, both for yourself & also it's an unfair on the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

scoop it up and store it in garden in some sort of covered poo heap,now flog it for [excuse the pun] sht loads to allotment owners.
    an uncle of mine has an allotment in dub and he got ripped off for his tiny allotment nevermind the horse sht he pays for.

is it illegal for riders to ride on the path in ireland? shoud check that one out and if it is; email the equestrian centre to complain as they shoud not be teaching riders to ride on the path.
    over here the law is riding on the road in single file.
    it is very difficult for horse riders to clean up sht though because it is dangerous to dismount and also try cleaning up whilst near people or the road because horses are very sensitive to sound and sight and something coud make them canter off or back off into traffic.

ps.am a horse rider but never go on walk outs/hacking,can see both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

My friend has a neighbour who has cats. The cats don't poop in their own garden, so they use the neighbouring gardens as cat toilets. So the cat owner's grandchildren can play in her garden, but the neighbour's children and grandchildren walk in cat poo when they play outside. :mad:

• Advertisement

Muir wrote: »
    Seriously, if you're not willing to pick up after your dog, don't get a dog. It's the same as having a baby & not wanting to change dirty nappies. You made the decision to look after it so do so.

girl in the striped socks - you can't really say they should leave the dog at home because that isn't fair on the dog. Also, if your dog is kept in the garden you still need to clean up. Can't leave the garden covered in dog ****, both for yourself & also it's an unfair on the dog.
    As I said its part of looking after a dog. I assume these people wouldn't like to walk out their back door & step on a dog log?
    So why should anyone else have to do it. Look after the dog properly or don't get one. It's an easy enough concept. Trouble is too many people see the cute little puppy & don't realise the work involved in properly caring for a dog.
    If more people were responsible footpaths would be cleaner & there would be less dogs in rescues & pounds. Unfortunately there is a lot of **** out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd be in favour of doubling/tripling dog licences to pay for the cleaning of footpaths and shooting dead any unlicensed dog and their owners.
    But I've been told I'm a bit too "extreme" about these things.

Most dog owners don't own a license, so that's a pointless exercise. There nothing to enforce this law (that I'm aware of), bar a threat. The only time these people get found out imo, is an angry neighbour pissed of with the dog barking or some other issue they have with their neighbour.

I agree with you in saying that owners should pick up after their dog if they shít on footpaths and grassy areas where children play and the like. If the dog runs off into the woods I don't see the point in chasing the dogs arse.

Theres plenty of signs around about picking up dog shít, but theres nothing to stop the owner from leaving it there, bar a passer-by watching their dog take a shít, look over their shoulders waiting for the owner to pick it up. There is no enforcement.

The only mashing you would be doing is into dog poo.

That sounds like something my niece would say.

She's 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There should be little posts that have a trash can and a container of small poop bags along the sidewalks. Here, I believe people can be fined for not picking up their dog's poop so maybe add a fine if a person is caught doing it.

There should be little posts that have a trash can and a container of small poop bags along the sidewalks. Here, I believe people can be fined for not picking up their dog's poop so maybe add a fine if a person is caught doing it.

I've seen these somewhere, I think it was in Limerick. Thought it was a really good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

dulux wrote: »
    "Golden Brown out on the town.
    Golden Brown smelling like hell.
    Gets on your shoes gives you the blues,
    ALWAYS a frown with golden brown....."

refers to the rear-end production of a golden retriever or similar breed.........

:o I always thought them words was a song from the stranglers about heroin :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

They have these on the seafront in Bray.

Abi wrote: »
    Most dog owners don't own a license, so that's a pointless exercise. There nothing to enforce this law (that I'm aware of), bar a threat. The only time these people get found out imo, is an angry neighbour pissed of with the dog barking or some other issue they have with their neighbour.

I agree with you in saying that owners should pick up after their dog if they shít on footpaths and grassy areas where children play and the like. If the dog runs off into the woods I don't see the point in chasing the dogs arse.

Theres plenty of signs around about picking up dog shít, but theres nothing to stop the owner from leaving it there, bar a passer-by watching their dog take a shít, look over their shoulders waiting for the owner to pick it up. There is no enforcement.

Shouldn't be that hard to enforce licencing, I mean all dogs have to go to the vet at some stage. So you put pressure on the veterinary clinics to check for licencing. Most dogs these days are chipped anyway so I dont understand how they can be chipped and on a database but the state is powerless to check if they are licensed or follow up on those who arent.

As for not being able to stop them shítting on the footpath, if they ignore the pick up the dog crap sign you stick up a no dog sign and fine anyone caught with a dog on the road. If people dont want to pick up the shít then the dogs shouldnt be allowed in those areas.

Or resort to my plan of lying in wait and shooting everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Raising the cost of a dog licence isn't going to do much. Quite a few dog owners don't actually own a dog licence.

I am one of those owners, I really should get one

I am one of those owners, I really should get one
    It's an easy thing to forget. Lots of people don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

So nobody should walk on the grass because you've decided that paths are for walking on and grass is for dogs to sh1t on? Children like to play and run on the grass you know, it's not actually provided for use as a dog toilet.

You're embarrassed that people might laugh at you picking up? I'd be more worried about people being pissed off at you for leaving it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I understand how dog owners wouldnt be into the whole pick it up, put it in a bag and carry it round with you for an hour thing.

ha ha ha what a laugh its your ****ing dog you moron, it cant clean up after itself.
    wouldnt be into it my arse.thats like saying:

i wouldnt be into the whole burying the wife when she die's thing myself, ill just let her rot in the bedroom.

what a statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

To be perfectly honest I am utterly sick of seeing signs about picking up after your dog in areas where there is nowhere to dispose of it. As it is I always clean up after my dog but it is an absolute disgrace that for an area used most commonly for walking dogs they do not have 1 single bin.
    Scioch wrote:
    Shouldn't be that hard to enforce licencing, I mean all dogs have to go to the vet at some stage. So you put pressure on the veterinary clinics to check for licencing. Most dogs these days are chipped anyway so I dont understand how they can be chipped and on a database but the state is powerless to check if they are licensed or follow up on those who arent.

I have a feeling that would end up with a lot of dog owners simply neglecting their animal's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Why can't people on the dole do this job, do something useful for once ffs

crazygeryy wrote: »
    ha ha ha what a laugh its your ****ing dog you moron, it cant clean up after itself.
    wouldnt be into it my arse.thats like saying:

i wouldnt be into the whole burying the wife when she die's thing myself, ill just let her rot in the bedroom.

what a statement to make.

I don't have a dog.
    People obviously don't like picking up poo.
    You don't commonly hear people going round saying 'I picked up a lovely poo today'.
    Thats because its not a pleasant thing to do.
    I said that I understand this.
    Can you understand that people don't typically enjoy picking up dog faeces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement