Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund of car insurance?

• 08-09-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

My car is on way out...Insurance due Monday (only discovered that today)

If I insure on monday and sell / move on over next few weeks will Insurance company refund me the remainin 11 odd months ? (I may just not get another car for the moment..)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If you change insurance company rather than renew your existing policy you will get less of a refund - different rates can be applied in 1st year of policy.

In year 2 on it should be pro-rata (but do check the exact policy booklet) which means you pay an a per day basis potentially subject to a minimum cost etc.

If you are staying with your current insurer - i.e. renewing then check your current policy booklet - will have been sent with the certificate etc or check online for your insurer, a copy of often on their website.

Often cancelling the policy will depend on how far in, i.e. after 8 months it is often better to let the policy run (which officially you should not do if the car is no longer owned) and get the year's no claim discount as cancelling means that year is effectively nulled for nod benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You can cancel the policy at any time and you will get a refund, but there are usually some deductions the insurer will make, for administration, etc. so it may not be your calculation for the remaining time. We've had to cancel a policy after a death and start a new policy.
    You can also change your car at any time. Inform your insurer and they will advise if any extra premium is payable or refundable.

Advertisement