Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night transport to outlying areas

Options
  • 08-09-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

I thought i heard something a few years back about possible arrangements for late night transport for areas outside the city centre. Minibuses or something.
    Did anything ever get sorted out? Or is everybody still relying on paying taxi fares of €10-€15 if not higher at night.

Just envisioned the possibility of having a couple of minibuses going from Eyre Square or somewhere as easily accessible at say 2.30 or 3 a.m. so that people could club etc more cheaply.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CIE reluctantly ran night buses c 2009 for a few months. Maybe 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    CIE reluctantly ran night buses c 2009 for a few months. Maybe 2008.

Farrells run regular night buses to Athenry on fri and sat (maybe thurs too). Taxis apart from that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Hard enough to get transport within the city during the day so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hard enough to get transport within the city during the day so I doubt it.
    Yep never seen a 'bus' before in galway.:confused:

Yep never seen a 'bus' before in galway.:confused:
    I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as meaning there are no buses in Galway, maybe someone else will be able to explain it to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as meaning there are no buses in Galway, maybe someone else will be able to explain it to you.
    Hopefully, they might even explain your man crusade against BE too, who knows.

On topic, i know there was a service like the op mentioned tried about ten years ago and quickly stopped as it was too messy given the drunken behaviour of the clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Stevolende wrote: »
    I thought i heard something a few years back about possible arrangements for late night transport for areas outside the city centre. Minibuses or something.
    Did anything ever get sorted out? Or is everybody still relying on paying taxi fares of €10-€15 if not higher at night.

Just envisioned the possibility of having a couple of minibuses going from Eyre Square or somewhere as easily accessible at say 2.30 or 3 a.m. so that people could club etc more cheaply.

How far outside the city centre? Do you have any particular areas in mind?

Hopefully, they might even explain your man crusade against BE too, who knows.
    I could equally point out the hard on yourself and Just Mary (quick, Like eachothers posts!!) have for defending a service virtually everybody I've met is disappointed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I could equally point out the hard on yourself and Just Mary (quick, Like eachothers posts!!) have for defending a service virtually everybody I've met is disappointed in.

We're straying OT here, and into the foothills of another traffic thread! That said, as someone who is in favour of PT and often finds the services unsatisfactory, I would make this observation: one of the biggest complaints in Galway City is the traffic, yet most people keep on driving...

Getting back to the OP, I suspect the problem with late night transport to outlying areas is the lack of a critical mass (potential number of passengers versus size of catchment area) to make such a service affordable and practicable.

Businesses in the city recently collaborated to fund a private ambulance/paramedic service. Are their pockets deep enough for a bus service to outlying areas as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no traffic problem at night so bringing traffic into it is precisely the sort of straying off course you mean. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It'd be handy enough going out to Salthill, walking out that way at night isn't something I'm willing to do as a girl. Do it like the nitelinks in Dublin, a fiver for your ticket, and drivers can kick you off if you're acting the maggot, or don't let you on if you're too drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    It'd be handy enough going out to Salthill, walking out that way at night isn't something I'm willing to do as a girl. Do it like the nitelinks in Dublin, a fiver for your ticket, and drivers can kick you off if you're acting the maggot, or don't let you on if you're too drunk.

Galway is small though: if theres two of you then a taxi is cheaper than a fiver each, so im not sure that the economics would add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Citylink used have a late night bus to shannon airport at 3.15, it was great, serving oranmore, clarinbridge ardrahan and gort!!! Any night i ever got it, it was always packed with people getting off here and not going as far as the airport

glineli wrote: »
    Citylink used have a late night bus to shannon airport at 3.15, it was great, serving oranmore, clarinbridge ardrahan and gort!!! Any night i ever got it, it was always packed with people getting off here and not going as far as the airport
    Nowadays Citylink don't even serve Shannon, one of the major international airports in the country. Well played Citylink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I could see them charging an arm and a leg for it though. But sure I suppose fuel is crazy now anyways. How much is a city bus now?! If I'm not mistaken it used to be 80c for an adult and 55c for a child? It must be around a fiver now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

€1.70 or €3.70 for a day pass.
    €1.70 is way to much, get it down to a euro and that will get plenty of cars of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

swiftman wrote: »
    €1.70 or €3.70 for a day pass.
    €1.70 is way to much, get it down to a euro and that will get plenty of cars of the road

Single fare is on the expensive side but the day ticket is great value IMHO.

Advertisement