Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally decided on build. Any thoughts before I commit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If you're getting a good SSD for your boot drive(which you are) then there's no need for a fast mass storage device. Get a drive below 7200rpm in the 2 - 3 TB range.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

The velociraptor stands out the most. Replace with regular 7200rpm disk, speed more than enough for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

iron_hide wrote: »
    Hey all, I have finally decided on my build components and I just wanted to run the selection by you guys before I pull the trigger.

I have decided to go with the Viewsonic VX 2336s monitor, just because of price/performance/size but I shall be getting that separately.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€40.94
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€216.29
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.89
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M, 650Watt|€96.45
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€391.43
    Enermax ETS-T40-TA|€39.31
    Cooler Master 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 - pure black|90.47
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB|€194.24
    WD VelociRaptor 1TB SATA 6Gb's|€232.85
    Total|€1385-ISH
    I may pull back on the HDD's for the final purchase but I do need a fast large disk that I can write to that is not my primary disk. (for recording software)

I'd actually change everything, not that your build is bad (it's very good), but you have a few items in there that won't work very well with each other.

CPU and motherboard: Swap the CPU to an i5 3450 if you're not overclocking, or an AsRock Z77 board if you are overclocking.

Cooler: Thermalright Macho instead of the Enermax.

GPU: HD7950 hands down. Can beat the GTX 670 overclocked when it's overclocked and the Gigabyte 3x model is only €296.

HDD: I wouldn't bother with a Velociraptor, the price/performance isn't great.

PSU: 650 watts is overkill, drop down to a 550 watt Super Flower Amazon to save money,

Case: For €90 a Corsair Carbide 500R seems like a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iron_hide

cheers for that. the reason for the fast secondary HDD is that software recording to the primary HDD that the game is running on is not recommended. Also the file sizes are massive so recording onto a relatively small SSD would mean more clean-up required and less space for programs/games etc.

Eboggles wrote: »
    I'd actually change everything, not that your build is bad (it's very good), but you have a few items in there that won't work very well with each other.

CPU and motherboard: Swap the CPU to an i5 3450 if you're not overclocking, or an AsRock Z77 board if you are overclocking.

GPU: HD7950 hands down. Can beat the GTX 670 overclocked when it's overclocked and the Gigabyte 3x model is only €296.

PSU: 650 watts is overkill, drop down to a 550 watt Super Flower Amazon to save money,

Holy crap. That is a lot to digest. Need to do more research me thinks! :D

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »

I made a error with the mobo, I had selected the AsRock Z77 but entered the wrong URL and description. :(

Also the Macho is out of stock never to be seen again!! :mad:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/52671/Thermalright+HR-02+Macho.article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

iron_hide wrote: »
    I made a error with the mobo, I had selected the AsRock Z77 but entered the wrong URL and description. :(

Also the Macho is out of stock never to be seen again!! :mad:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/52671/Thermalright+HR-02+Macho.article

It's discontinued? What a bummer :(

The True Spirit might be still available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

get 2 1tb drives and raid0.

I've built with that gtx670, its very good and bloody quiet. it depends on what games you play to wanna choose between a 670 and a 7950. you'll be happy with either though.

we're yet to find out how reliable the vertex4 is, but from past personal experience, and rma surveys, OCZ is one of few companies that you avoid at all costs. especially SSDs. I've had one fail on me and a friend. I'm also trying to rma some 'unlimited lifetime guarantee' RAM for the past few months and they're dragging their heels :(

tl;dr, get the Samsung 830 SSD. its much better.

the 690 is a pretty dated case at this stage. the Corsair c70 is pretty nice and not much more. or the 500R.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    get 2 1tb drives and raid0.

I've built with that gtx670, its very good and bloody quiet. it depends on what games you play to wanna choose between a 670 and a 7950. you'll be happy with either though.

we're yet to find out how reliable the vertex4 is, but from past personal experience, and rma surveys, OCZ is one of few companies that you avoid at all costs. especially SSDs. I've had one fail on me and a friend. I'm also trying to rma some 'unlimited lifetime guarantee' RAM for the past few months and they're dragging their heels :(

tl;dr, get the Samsung 830 SSD. its much better.

the 690 is a pretty dated case at this stage. the Corsair c70 is pretty nice and not much more. or the 500R.

Cheers Tea_Bag, the reason I choose the vertex 4 is the highest IO performance, and from what I have read since moving from SandForce to IndiLinx flash management they have sorted out any reliability issues. But I don't want to get burnt so I may go with the safer option.

I wasn't even considering two HDD's in raid 0 :o Will look into that also.
    Think I will stick with the GTX 670 though as I won't be over-clocking any time soon and a few FPS here and there will not make me loose a nights sleep.

Was trying to save money with the case by getting the cheaper option but will reconsider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what about getting a bitfenix prodigy? it means you'll have to spend a little more on an itx motherboard though. you will loose all PCIe slots though, so no room for a wireless or sound card, but you don't have either anyway?

prodigy also available in black.

itx z77 board it ain't cheap, but it does come with wireless. you're also down to 2 dimm slots, so get 2x8gb sticks.

you'll have to be a bit more careful with your choice in psu and CPU cooler. just double check that they fit in the case before ordering.

• Advertisement

This seems like good value from pixmania Radeon 7970, how does it compare to the card listed above?

Advertisement