Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld dublin screen 17 being rebranded as IMAX again

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most digital cinema these days show at 2k. Note the big hype that the Hobbit will be in 4k. In selected cinemas, of course.

I wouldn't get hopes up that this is going to be anything other than a really big screen. As Prof said, proper IMAX is in limbo at the moment after TDKR, so would be a silly time to invest in such an impractical setup.

So to all extents and purposes they're basically making Screen 17 bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I was surprized to find out how much different that something called iMax can actually be.
    Here's an image of the different size screens in the UK - http://twitpic.com/at3fz7/full

I'd be interested in seeing the details that Cineworld release as to the specifics of the screen / tech being used!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was surprized to find out how much different that something called iMax can actually be.
    Here's an image of the different size screens in the UK - http://twitpic.com/at3fz7/full

I'd be interested in seeing the details that Cineworld release as to the specifics of the screen / tech being used!
    Only the top 5 in that image are "true" IMAX screens. The rest are regular size cinema screens, i.e. "fake" IMAX. As it current stands, Screen 17 in Cineworld would be about the same size as the smallest screen in that image. As you can see, Cineworld would have to do a lot more than raise the roof to fit a true IMAX screen in there. They'd probably have to add two extra floors to the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Only the top 5 in that image are "true" IMAX screens. The rest are regular size cinema screens, i.e. "fake" IMAX. As it current stands, Screen 17 in Cineworld would be about the same size as the smallest screen in that image. As you can see, Cineworld would have to do a lot more than raise the roof to fit a true IMAX screen in there. They'd probably have to add two extra floors to the building.

I did ask the question would they be removing Screen 3 & 4 and was told no. :( They are also trying to make as little dent in the current building. So
    I'm leaning towards more "Fake" IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've never managed to get to an IMAX cinema, so this is good news to me even if it isn't the full thing and I'm looking forward to it :)

Wonder what the pricing on tickets will be like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,642 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Digital "fake" IMAX = digital, 2k resolution, projected onto a slightly larger than ordinary size screen, often with the seats pushed closer to make it seem more immersive. A fairly ordinary cinematic experience held to a very high standard. It's considered a watered down version of old IMAX or even a con by many people. But most of the time when you hear about "IMAX" these days, this is what is being referred to. Nearly all the big films are being released this way.

So would Veu (I think) and Dungarvan offer a better experience with the new 4k projectors, rather than a 2k Imax digital? (obviously I mean when showing movies shot in 4k - TDKR for example)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So would Veu (I think) and Dungarvan offer a better experience with the new 4k projectors, rather than a 2k Imax digital? (obviously I mean when showing movies shot in 4k - TDKR for example)

Potentially, yes, but it depends. I don't know about Dungarvan, but Vue use these Sony 4K projectors which, if there's a 3D filter in place, aren't really 4k at all, rather two 2k images superimposed on top of each other to compensate for light loss in 3D projection. And in most cases the 3D filter isn't removed for 2D showings.

And afaik the DCP for most films is still only 2k, but some big films have gone out in 4k. I'm not sure if TDKR was one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

How big is the odeon isense? I seen a poster in blanchardstown centre that said "3 storey high screen", thought it might be a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,642 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Potentially, yes, but it depends. I don't know about Dungarvan, but Vue use these Sony 4K projectors which, if there's a 3D filter in place, aren't really 4k at all, rather two 2k images superimposed on top of each other to compensate for light loss in 3D projection. And in most cases the 3D filter isn't removed for 2D showings.

And afaik the DCP for most films is still only 2k, but some big films have gone out in 4k. I'm not sure if TDKR was one of them.

Not sure on the ones Veu have, as they are the older 4k machines but the Dungarvan ones are the latest spec - without the filter as far as I know, it is all built in to how the machine operates now from what I have been told. Was also told that TDKR was def shown in 4k, on the 4k projectors and the quality was unreal.

Was told I should check it out but I really couldn't be bothered driving all the way to Dungarvan to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

maximoose wrote: »
    Wonder what the pricing on tickets will be like....

€17 I'm hearing...

Certainly the one in London was about £20.

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    How big is the odeon isense? I seen a poster in blanchardstown centre that said "3 storey high screen", thought it might be a bit of a stretch.

iSense Point Village is a little bit larger than Cineworld. I assume Blanch is about the same. About 9 metres tall.

iSense is basically faux-IMAX btw. A lot of cinemas don't want to pay IMAX for the branding so they invent their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

iSense Point Village is a little bit larger than Cineworld.

... but the sightlines are dire. I remember when the Odeon opened and several people on this forum made the point that the seats in front often blocked the bottom of the screen. Unforgiveable, frankly.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Galvasean wrote: »
    €17 I'm hearing...

Certainly the one in London was about £20.

Hmmmm. I see on the Cineworld UK site it says the premium on top of normal ticket prices for IMAX is £4.50, so about €5.70.

I assume it'll be like 3D films where if you have an unlimited card you just pay the premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It would be nice to get a proper IMAX screen but I'm sure this will just be a digital "fake" IMAX but it's better then nothing tbh, i certainly wouldn't object to them making an already massive screen even bigger, I would not like to have to pay extra on top of my unlimited subscription to use it though (unless the new premium card will allow that).

Premium card eh? Whats this?

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to see a film on this screen, as long as it's not a ridiculous fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No one really knows TBH. There's a thread about it in this forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

No, no more than there is for 70mm IMAX. But it's generally larger than average.

Original iMax was apparently 23mx30m (76ft x 97ft)

LieMax as its known is 8.5mx18m (26ft x 58ft

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

New black unlimited card for those that have been signed up a year or more. 25% discount on food/drink and no extra surcharge for 3D films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

For anyone interested, they are now booking tickets to the Hobbit IMAX 3D screenings. The price of a peak time ticket is €16.30. They don't have IMAX pricing in the price section on the website but if you work it out as €11.30 for an adult ticket + €2 for 3D, you can come to the assumption that IMAX screenings will be €3 extra.

Hoping it'll be a little less for Unlimited members (3D is €1.50 for Unlimited).

http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson/5758?cinema=75&date=advanced

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wonder what it would be for the unlimited members of over one year, they get 3d for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

it is euro 5 extra for all including unlimited/premium unlimited as well..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty lame. I've spent 5e to see films in the screen/savoy for the last few years. Sometimes 4. Steep when it's just slightly better than it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

wrong thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CMpunked wrote: »

3 stories high isn't very tall really.
    I think "storey" just sounds big, maybe because most people think a house is 2 stories, and mis-scale it.

A regular IMAX is about 8 stories high.

Mellor wrote: »
    3 stories high isn't very tall really.
    I think "storey" just sounds big, maybe because most people think a house is 2 stories, and mis-scale it.

A regular IMAX is about 8 stories high.

I thought as much. Thought the manchester imax was awesome but if isense is only a third in size then i'm not too bothered. Especially how cineworlds new imax screen is bigger than that again.

Actually Cineworld's IMAX is about the same size as iSense, possibly smaller.

Oh.
    Thats a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi folks, interested in seeing the hobbit in the cinema. Would watching a 3 hour 3d movie wreck your head though? I'm yet to see a 3d movie although I did watch some paleontology movie in the Parnell cinema about 15 years ago in 3d, but not the new 3d.

What would be the best place to see it in 2D and what would be the best place to see it in 3d could anyone suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i was at the hobbit at the cineworld IMAX last night. the screen is not that big compared to some of the IMAX cinemas in the UK but the clarity of picture and sound was very impressive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How was the 3D combined with 48fps? Head f**k?

Advertisement