Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld dublin screen 17 being rebranded as IMAX again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

cormie wrote: »
    How was the 3D combined with 48fps? Head f**k?

Actually didn't it find it too bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

yeah i was quite impressed it looked a bit weird for the first 10 mins or so but after that i really thought the film looked great , i spoke to someone last night who has now seen the hobbit on both a normal screen and the imax and they were much more impressed seeing it last night on the iMAX.
    also you are given IMAX 3d glasses going into the screen and you have to give them back at the end so no need to buy glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks, might just go to the imax so and experience the full thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

We don't know the measurements of the IMAX screen to compare. If it's the same size as the old screen then it's below average even for digital IMAX and iSense is bigger. It doesn't really matter though as they are both dwarfed by Vue.

• Advertisement

i have been to both and the isense might be slightly bigger but the IMAX had better sound and picture

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How was the 3D combined with 48fps? Head f**k?

The 3D is actually not jarring - it's the least intrusive 3D experience. The 48fps is supposed to smooth out any jaggy 3D movements and I believe it. The slow motion 3D/48fps are amazing and so sharp. That said, watching 48fps is the most noticeable, people moving at x1.5 speed until you get used to it!

Sad Professor, how large is this Vue screen? Might have to view it there! Is that 3D/48fps as well?

Where is the VUE screen again, liffey valley? Would that be the best place to see it so or is Parnell Cinema top?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Are there any technical docs for why things look 'sped up' in 48fps? I mean, if it takes 2 seconds for someone to lift a cup off a table, surely it still takes 2 seconds whether its 24fps or 48fps? Is there a conflict with the refresh rate of the projector or something that might be causing this 'sped up' thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The 3D is actually not jarring - it's the least intrusive 3D experience. The 48fps is supposed to smooth out any jaggy 3D movements and I believe it. The slow motion 3D/48fps are amazing and so sharp. That said, watching 48fps is the most noticeable, people moving at x1.5 speed until you get used to it!

Sad Professor, how large is this Vue screen? Might have to view it there! Is that 3D/48fps as well?

Don't know the exact measurements, but it's 195 square metres. For comparison sake, Cineworld 17 pre-IMAX was 125, Savoy is 165 and iSense is 160.

Although Savoy it should be noted is 2.35:1, while all the others are about 16:9. This means that for 2.35:1 films Savoy has a 33 percent advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

redt0m wrote: »
    Are there any technical docs for why things look 'sped up' in 48fps? I mean, if it takes 2 seconds for someone to lift a cup off a table, surely it still takes 2 seconds whether its 24fps or 48fps? Is there a conflict with the refresh rate of the projector or something that might be causing this 'sped up' thing?

It should be an entirely psycho/visual thing, simply being used to seeing movies tv etc at 24fps and then seeing the extra frame of movement most likely is interpreted subconciously as "faster", at least until you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there any way to see a sample of 48fps without going to see the Hobbit? I'm curious to see what it's like, but don't want to sit through a film I've no interest in, just to have a look. Is it something that can only be seen with equipment designed for it?

humanji wrote: »
    Is there any way to see a sample of 48fps without going to see the Hobbit? I'm curious to see what it's like, but don't want to sit through a film I've no interest in, just to have a look. Is it something that can only be seen with equipment designed for it?

as far as i'm aware this is the first time its been used and these are the cinemas that can show it that i know of

Belfast (Northern Ireland): ODEON
    Belfast: Movie House Cinema – Dublin Road
    Dublin: ODEON Point Village (on ISENSE screens)
    Dublin: Cineworld IMAX Dublin
    Dublin: ODEON Blanchardstown (on ISENSE screens)
    Dublin: Vue Cinema

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »
    as far as i'm aware this is the first time its been used and these are the cinemas that can show it that i know of

Belfast (Northern Ireland): ODEON
    Belfast: Movie House Cinema – Dublin Road
    Dublin: ODEON Point Village (on ISENSE screens)
    Dublin: Cineworld IMAX Dublin
    Dublin: ODEON Blanchardstown (on ISENSE screens)
    Dublin: Vue Cinema

Thought there was more cinemas showing it than that? Someone said The Eye in Galway has it too.

there will definetly be other ones but i only know which ones in belfast and dublin

Is the 48fps camera the type that's use to record water balloons smashing off peoples faces in slow-mo etc or would they be much higher frame rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Is the 48fps camera the type that's use to record water balloons smashing off peoples faces in slow-mo etc or would they be much higher frame rate?
    They would be at a much MUCH higher frame rates (Typically in the hundreds or even thousands of frames per second)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've already seen the hobbit at my local but I'm making the effort to see this tomorrow in 48fps (false IMAX). Hopefully it will have been worth my effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Has anyone being to the new IMAX screen at cineworld ?

Just wondering if its worth the extra money for a screen that isnt real IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jumboman wrote: »

I would say yes. It was my first experience of 48 frames and anything larger than a regular cinema screen. I booked good central seats and I found it to be very immersive. Definitely something new to what Ive been watching for the last 20 years and worth the extra 5 quid for the experience. If you think its not epic enough, at least you can leave it in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Have to say I was disappointed they don't have parking validation. Parking cost me just under €14.00. Two tickets cost about €23.00 and we bought some snacks. All in just over €50 for two people. I'd say bring your own food and avoid the car park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jumboman wrote: »

I'd say a resounding no, for The Hobbit anyway. It was a horribly non-immersive experience for me. Yes, it the resolution is better than your usual digital projector, but the extra clarity IMO is actually not a positive thing. It might look better with other films, though. But the price is pretty unforgivable IMO for what I felt was an inferior experience.

TBH, for the price just head to somewhere like The Savoy or (if they're showing the film in question) The Lighthouse. You'll probably get two people in for the price of one ticket in the farcically overpriced Cineworld 'IMAX', and a better all round cinema trip.

How does the iSense at the Point compare with iMax on Parnell? I'm willing to splash out on my first 3d film and 48fps so want a decent screen even if it's a bit on the expensive side..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

How does the iSense at the Point compare with iMax on Parnell? I'm willing to splash out on my first 3d film and 48fps so want a decent screen even if it's a bit on the expensive side..

I have been to the iSense and was not impressed by it the screen isnt even full wide screen. Screen 1 in the savoy looked bigger to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was it just me or did the start of the film look like it was on slightly fast forward?
    maybe it was my brain adapting to 48fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I thought I'd post this here as it's the most recently active Cineworld thread, but if there's a more appropriate general Cineworld thread, mods could move this.

Anyway, I got a letter this morning from Cineworld informing me of a price increase for the Unlimited card. The monthly charge is rising from €19.99 to €20.90.

I have to admit, I don't think this is too bad personally - it adds 22.75c to the cost of a ticket if you go once a week, and obviously less if you go more frequently. Still seems like great value for money to me at least.

Your thoughts? There are some changes to the T&Cs, but I haven't had a chance to look them over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Darvich wrote: »
    I thought I'd post this here as it's the most recently active Cineworld thread, but if there's a more appropriate general Cineworld thread, mods could move this.

Anyway, I got a letter this morning from Cineworld informing me of a price increase for the Unlimited card. The monthly charge is rising from €19.99 to €20.90.

I have to admit, I don't think this is too bad personally - it adds 22.75c to the cost of a ticket if you go once a week, and obviously less if you go more frequently. Still seems like great value for money to me at least.

Your thoughts? There are some changes to the T&Cs, but I haven't had a chance to look them over yet.

The 90c doesn't bother me at all but what bothers me is that this is the first price increase in years and that it may set a precedent for further price increases in shorter time frames, 90c here and there and before you know it we'll be paying €30 a month. I may be paranoid but if the frequency of price increases on their regular tickets is any indication, then it may be likely we'll be seeing more increases sooner rather then later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Still a waste of money to me. If it is your first year you pay extra for 3d, which is most showings. And now they put it up. I also go to other cinemas like lighthouse, savoy, screen and the ifi. For years I could go for 4-6e. It's grand if you go to cineworld all the time, a good deal, but not way I'd give up the lovely light house. Much nicer experience. Similar with savoy screen 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The extortionate prices of Cineworld mean that I'll never go there unless it's 10 AM and I'm in the mood for a film. Which is a very rare occurrence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement