Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your pick for first Ireland XI

• 08-09-2012 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭

Assuming all players are available ......

4 - 5 - 1

Westwood
    Coleman
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark
    McClean
    Andrews
    McCarthy
    Gibson
    McGeady
    Long

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Assuming all players are available ......

4 - 5 - 1

Westwood
    Coleman
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark
    McClean
    Andrews
    McCarthy
    Gibson
    McGeady
    Long
    no S.Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Westwood

Coleman Dunne O'Shea Clark
    McClean Gibson McCarthy McGeady

Long walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Little Pea wrote: »
    Westwood

Coleman Dunne O'Shea Clark
    McClean Gibson McCarthy McGeady

Long walters

I'd swap O'Shea and Clark, otherwise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Westwood

-Coleman--Dunne---O'Shea--Clark-

-McGeady--Gibson--McCarthy--McClean-

Walters

Long

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Westwood
    Coleman-Dunne-O'Shea-Clark
    McGeady-Andrews-McCarthy-McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Westwood

Kelly Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

McGeady - Andrews - McCarthy (although a leap of faith on my part) - McClean (another leap of faith)

Walters/Long - Keane

Doyle was out of my XI until last night and has made me reconsider but he's facing a tough season of Championship football so I'd have to opt with the above combo for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

noodler wrote: »
    Westwood

Kelly Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

McGeady - Andrews - McCarthy (although a leap of faith on my part) - McClean (another leap of faith)

Walters/Long - Keane

Doyle was out of my XI until last night and has made me reconsider but he's facing a tough season of Championship football so I'd have to opt with the above combo for now.
    Can't see how you would have Keane in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I have no idea what people see in O'Shea anymore. He's shocking. His distribution is terrible, going forward he's terrible and defensively he's not a shadow of his former self.

Westwood
    Kelly Dunne St.Ledger Ward
    McGeady Andrews McCarthy McLean
    Keane Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Gary Breen

-Breen--Breen---Breen--Breen-

-Breen--Breen--Breen--Breen-

Breen

Breen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

BOHtox wrote: »
    I have no idea what people see in O'Shea anymore. He's shocking. His distribution is terrible, going forward he's terrible and defensively he's not a shadow of his former self.

Westwood
    Kelly Dunne St.Ledger Ward
    McGeady Andrews McCarthy McLean
    Keane Walters

O'Shea is still very good at centre-half. Shocking fullback though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

nbar12 wrote: »

Gary Breen

-Breen--Breen---Breen--Breen-

-Breen--Breen--Breen--Breen-

Breen

Breen
    7 gary breen subs.
    manager: gary breen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GK: Westwood

RB: Coleman
    CB: O'Shea
    CB: Dunne/Clark
    LB: Wilson

RW: McGeady
    Lw: MCClean

DM: Whelan
    CM: MCCarthy
    CM: Gibson

CF: Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Westwood
    Coleman - Dunne - O'Shea - Ward
    Whelan
    McGeady - Gibson - McCarthy - McClean
    Long

Whelan can fcuk right off imo, its disgraceful how poor he is. I wouldn't have him in the squad never mind the team. His passing is atrocious, I really don't see what he brings to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Westwood

Kelly--Dunne--Clark--Wilson

Coleman--McCarthy--Andrews--Gibson--McClean

Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

4-5-1

Westwood
    Coleman
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark
    McClean
    Andrews
    McCarthy
    Gibson
    McGeady
    Jimmy Iovine

Similar to the OP's team but I decided to put myself in as the lone striker. I've been working hard in recent weeks and feel that I should be on that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

If I were to pick the XI it would be:

Westwood
    Coleman
    Dunne
    Clark
    Foley
    McGeady
    Ireland
    McCarthy
    McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

Bench: S. Henderson, Wilson, St Ledge, Brady, Gibson, Walters and Cox.

A new fresh generation with some veterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Westwood

Coleman
    Dunne
    Clark

McCarthy
    Andrews

Pilkington
    Ireland ---- Hoolahan ---
    Long

Walters

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Whelan can fcuk right off imo, its disgraceful how poor he is. I wouldn't have him in the squad never mind the team. His passing is atrocious, I really don't see what he brings to the team.

Why is he a regular starter in Stoke then? (Stoke being a team notorious for troubling "better" teams, in particular at home)

Ireland are never going to win pretty with 3 mid-fielders passing with ease. Whelan is a worker - closes down, tackles, makes it tough for the opposition - same style as Mascherano. Ireland need some of that in its teams if it's going to compete with Sweden, Austria etc.

alang184 wrote: »
    Why is he a regular starter in Stoke then? (Stoke being a team notorious for troubling "better" teams, in particular at home)

Ireland are never going to win pretty with 3 mid-fielders passing with ease. Whelan is a worker - closes down, tackles, makes it tough for the opposition - same style as Mascherano. Ireland need some of that in its teams if it's going to compete with Sweden, Austria etc.

I'm just going on what I've seen in a green shirt, we all know that club form isn't always a good indicator of how they play internationally.

I cannot comprehend how an international midfielder can have such a poor range of passing. Yes it may not be his role to be a playmaker, but I'd at least expect him to make 5 yard passes and look for possesion from the backline.

He does make some attempt at closing down, but he's average at best defensively and got caught out of position numerous times leaving the defence un protected. Andrews and McCarthy are both better defenders than Whelen, but they can pass the ball aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Westwood

Coleman----Dunne----O'Shea----Clark

Ireland----Whelan
    -Lawrance
    McClean-
    Long

Doyle

Basically any one that Trap does not want to play. P.S Ireland should never play for us again, id play Andy Reid before Ireland. :D
    McCarthy instead of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Westwood

Kelly--Dunne--Clark--Wilson
    McGeady--Gibson--McCarthy--McClean
    Ireland

Long

Subs: Henderson, Randolph, Sledge, O'Shea, White/Cunningham, Coleman, Meyler, Andrews, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Walters, Cox

Hard to leave out Keane and Doyle but it's just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Westwood
    Kelly---O'Shea---Dunne---Wilson
    Clark
    McGeady---McCarthy---McClean
    Gibson

Long

Very tough decisions though, dropping Gibson back and throwing on a second striker and moving Clark around the back 4 is always an option with Dunne and O'Shea aging. Coleman was the difficult one to leave out too but he'd play plenty rotating with Kelly and the wingers. Whelan, Andrews and the rest of the current crop could still have a role in the squad but wouldn't be key to the team like they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Westwood

Coleman
    O'Shea
    Clark
    Dunne
    McCarthy
    Ireland
    Andrews
    McClean
    McGeady
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

4-5-1

Westwood
    Coleman
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark
    McClean
    Andrews
    McCarthy
    Gibson
    McGeady
    Jimmy Iovine

Similar to the OP's team but I decided to put myself in as the lone striker. I've been working hard in recent weeks and feel that I should be on that team.

But jimmy ainty your rela name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Westwood

Kelly----O'Shea----Dunne----Wilson----
    Coleman----McCarthy----Andrews----McClean
    McGeady

Long

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Can't see how you would have Keane in the team

Really?

Even after the fact he has scored over 50% of all our competitive goals under Trap?

Whatever about who should have started or came on last night, thank **** it was Keane who was on the pitch to take that peno.

A serious pressure kick.

alang184 wrote: »

I'm just going on what I've seen in a green shirt, we all know that club form isn't always a good indicator of how they play internationally.

I cannot comprehend how an international midfielder can have such a poor range of passing. Yes it may not be his role to be a playmaker, but I'd at least expect him to make 5 yard passes and look for possesion from the backline.

He does make some attempt at closing down, but he's average at best defensively and got caught out of position numerous times leaving the defence un protected. Andrews and McCarthy are both better defenders than Whelen, but they can pass the ball aswell.

I've seen Whelan do alot more in a Stoke shirt.

Like all our midfielders, he is slightly hamstrung by the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Gk Westwood

RB: Coleman
    CB: O'Shea
    CB: Dunne/Clark
    LB: Wilson

RW: McGeady
    Lw: MCClean/duff

DM: Andrews
    CM: MCCarthy
    CM: Gibson

CF: Long/doyle

• Advertisement

People putting Andrews as a DM.

Have you watched him play?

The man can't tackle, he throws himself about but he's pretty poor positionally in defence and his tackling is abysmal.

He is good getting forward and getting onto second balls, shooting from the edge of the box, getting on crosses etc but he's not a defensive player at all.

Seaneh wrote: »

The man can't tackle, he throws himself about but he's pretty poor positionally in defence and his tackling is abysmal.

He is good getting forward and getting onto second balls, shooting from the edge of the box, getting on crosses etc but he's not a defensive player at all.

I'd say its because he has played a defensive role in the Irish midfield for about 4 years now.

And in terms of what constitutes success for the Irish football team, a play-off and qualification would indicate he hasn't been that bad at all.

He won good ball against France, and had a case as the only potential leader from Poland, he's in my team because he has a passion that I admire and miss in recent games.

He could be in the team in a 4-5-1, no problem.

But not as an anchor man.

As one of the two advanced cm's he'd be soild.

It shows all the same though, we have plenty of options, not much mention for Pearce though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

No-one rates Brady for a sub, even? Clearly not first team starting material (yet) - Watching him in United's pre-season I though he looked decent, with some nice pace about him too.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    No-one rates Brady for a sub, even? Clearly not first team starting material (yet) - Watching him in United's pre-season I though he looked decent, with some nice pace about him too.

I think he needs to go out on loan again this season if he isn't going to stall, he need to be playing competitive football right now and he won't get much chance of that at United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Fully agree Andrews is our problem in CM, I am actually a massive fan of Whelan for Ireland as our DM. Solid player puts good shift in, on player ratings id say he is prob top player for Ireland the last while, or at least up there

O shea looks shocking at full back, buut dunne st ledger look solid so sorry no o shea.
    Keane is so frustrating, makes very few teams- but as mentions scores so many goals, id prob injure him so didnt have make choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm always surprised to see so many people wanting Coleman at right-back. I don't think Moyes has confidence he can do the role for Everton.

I'm always surprised to see so many people wanting Coleman at right-back. I don't think Moyes has confidence he can do the role for Everton.

Its true.

The idea of a an attacking pacey full back is just very sexy for most people.

I actually have no idea what Coleman is like when defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Clark isn't a left back. He can play there in a pinch but would be a liability there against any decent wingers.

Give him another couple of months of first team football with Villa and if he can knock out the silly mistakes he will be a great option for us at CB but not LB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Paddy Kenny
    Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson
    McGeady, Gibson, McCarthy, McClean,
    Long, Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Westwood

Kelly
    Dunne
    Clark
    Wilson

McCarthy--Gibson

Ireland

^
    ^
    Walters
    McClean
    >
    <
    Long

Subs:Randolph, O'Shea, Coleman, Ward, St Ledger, Andrews, Whelan, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Doyle, Cox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I think we should select one from the plethora of DM's that Ireland possess to replace Andrews.

Well, no, I think we should players in their strongest positions.

As for defensive midfielders.

McCann, Whelan, Myler, Wilson, that's 4 players who would be more suited to the role than Andrews off the top of my head.

Andrews isn't a defensive player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Westwood

Coleman
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    O'Shea

Gibson
    McCarthy
    Andrews

McClean
    Long
    McGreedy.......purely because there is nobody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Westwood

Coleman
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    O'Shea

Gibson
    McCarthy
    Andrews

McClean
    Long
    McGreedy.......purely because there is nobody else
    Gibson andrews, cant defend for crap!
    McCarthy I like for future, but needs a DM behind him-
    whelan, myler now he's declared, or even O Shea as no place in def for him-
    Looking forward to seeing more of Brady for future and even players like connor clifford from 21's, but Trapp is not going to overall players/ system

Problem is if we lose Trap and his systematic approach, no one out there (manager wise) I think to get much more from players. Can you see us qualifying with another manager? If we open up and play football against some teams, we'll sadly get destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Surprised at the people choosing Clark over Wilson.

Westwood
    Coleman----O'Shea----Clark----Wilson
    McCarthy---Gibson
    McGeady
    Ireland/Walters
    McClean
    Long

skippy15 wrote: »
    myler now he's declared

He's from cork, he's not eligible for any other country and has 7 under 21 caps...

He had no need to "declare" for Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Westwood
    kelly O Shea Dunne/ Clarke Wilson
    McCarthy
    McGeady Mclean
    Andrews/ Cox
    Walters Long/Keane

Andrews behind the front two is a gamble but he has looked good when he has made forward runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Westwood

-Kelly--Dunne---St Ledger--Wilson-

-Brady--Hoolahan--McCarthy--McClean-

Walters

Keane

Id drop McGeady as I think hes useless at crossing the ball and having watched a good bit of Brady he has great delivery. I would sometimes start Long with Keane depending on opposition and definetly throw on Long when chasing the game. I would call up and have on the bench Ronan Finn, Pilkington, Clark, Coleman, Duffy. I'd have a chat with little Stevo Ireland, ask him if he wants to play international football again. Id keep him on the bench. If he hit great form for Villa and I liked his attitude I may think of starting him over Hoolahan.
    I would tell Paul Green, Keith Andrews, and Paul McShane that they are not in my plans and can go ****e, Id keep Whelan there just for an emergency. Id also call back up Liam Lawrence as I think hes done very well when hes played for us and have him on the bench.

Who is the black lad, fast winger 19/20 that played for Crystal Palace and has a cork surname? Id keep an eye on him, Conor Clifford and Shane Duffy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement