Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Dublin

Options
  • 08-09-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

Next month I am going to work and live in Dublin. Which area is good to live in Dublin and not too expensive? I prefer a quiet area in Dublin. I am Dutch.

Nice to meet you here.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Theresia wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Next month I am going to work and live in Dublin. Which area is good to live in Dublin and not too expensive? I prefer a quiet area in Dublin. I am Dutch.

Nice to meet you here.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Can you give us an idea of what you are looking for, i.e. what kind of amenities you are looking for, what kind of lodging, how close to the city, what kind of commuting distance, city/suburbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

I prefer to rent a bed-sit. I am currently looking for a job and in contact with a few recruiters who search Dutch speakers for Customer service. There seemed to be a lot of big companies in Dublin. One recruiter told me first to find a job and then to search for a room in that part of Dublin. Distance can be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UJR

My favourite areas would be rathmines and castleknock. personally, I have lived closer to the city center and didn't enjoy it too much. the worst place I've ever lived is clancy quay though (islandbridge, dublin8), it's a new development but it's already run down and dirty. the level of antisocial behaviour is unbeliavable and even some of the security guards that are there 24/7 told me they've been beaten by the residents and their guests a number of times.

keep in mind that commuting might be an issue, but you might be working in an area where you wouldn't want to live.

Thanks for your message. I am already in Dublin now and like it a lot! I am currently staying in a hostel. I am very busy looking for a job in customer service or as a nanny. I have post an advertisement on gumtree and have already some reactions. Hope all will succeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Good luck with the job search,depending on where you get a job you will need to find somewhere that is close to good bus roots and luas line etc but also cheap enough to live,Rathmines may suit you as there are a lot of house shares there and its close enough to town aswell.

• Advertisement

Thanks I will have a look at Rathmines. Dublin is very big but I like it a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Theresia wrote: »
    Thanks I will have a look at Rathmines. Dublin is very big but I like it a lot!

Enjoy the weather ;)

Haha, thanks, I am Dutch, we have a bit the same weathertype in the Netherlands, so not really a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Hi, if you are using the LUAS here in Dublin, there is not the same level as security as on the city trams in say Amsterdam.
    I was in Amsterdam 2 years ago.
    I know how Ticket Inspectors, a whole echelon of them, deal with people who don't have valid tickets - I saw them in action.
    Be particularly careful if you are going to use the RED line from Point Depot Dublin city centre to Square shopping centre Tallaght

Thank you. Yes, in the Netherlands we seem to be very strict with rules. Thanks for warning. Someone told me there are some drugsareas in Dublin who are very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As with every city & large town there are places where you are relatively safe & some where you need to take a bit more care.

If you want more information - have a look through existing threads in the Dublin City forum.

tHB

Thank you!

Advertisement