Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Autumn/Winter 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And now it looks like the sun is coming out in Galway :D Solid grey black wall of clouds to the east .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Too all bare Wolfe reporting such sights/ events...

PICS OR............!!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Too all bare Wolfe reporting such sights/ events... PICS OR............!!!!!! ;)

I'm stuck in an office obscured by trees, couldn't see much other than all the leaves falling off from the trees. Only moved here over the weekend though so not a bad welcome after going 17 months without a single rumble in donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks to be another line of showers approaching in the direction of Galway from the West, might develop as it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Phone socket blown off my wall at home - that was some humdinger of a thunderstorm.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Phone socket blown off my wall at home - that was some humdinger of a thunderstorm.

Photos???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Will post a photo when i get home....
    Power is still out also - maybe i should stay at work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

I was shooting video most of the time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ki65Se6LXSs

but I got this pic as the storm moved away
    222760.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I took the back roads to work today to "chase" that thunderstorm that passed over Galway around 2:30pm. I missed a few strikes with my camera while I was "chimping" at previous video i had taken. I found a good vantage point to catch the back of the storm and managed to get a video of a possible rotating funnel cloud, with rumbles all around me!!!
    I will try and post the video when I get home! It was Excellent!

I took the back roads to work today to "chase" that thunderstorm that passed over Galway around 2:30pm. I missed a few strikes with my camera while I was "chimping" at previous video i had taken. I found a good vantage point to catch the back of the storm and managed to get a video of a possible rotating funnel cloud, with rumbles all around me!!!
    I will try and post the video when I get home! It was Excellent!

Fair play ! Looking forward to z video! :)

EDIT : 2 sferics in the Dublin mountains region... anyone to confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Naas a little while ago

13DCB6B9C6CF4C4F818059622CE6A745-0000334566-0003031296-00800L-FC47E913A01D458F8CF70C5E84BD1031.jpg

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Fair play ! Looking forward to z video! :)

EDIT : 2 sferics in the Dublin mountains region... anyone to confirm?

I wouldn't get my hopes up as it was so dark it may be hard to make out. I'll know better when i open it on the big screen.;)

Smile added in for effect :P

222777.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

this is heading my way now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ESB reporting damage to pylons and sub stations due lightning strikes in galway during storm

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Any more rumbles to be expected tonight. Can't beat lightening at night :)

Here is the MODIS image for 1pm today.

I have circled Galway City. The line of heavy showers that proiud thunder in the Galway area can be clearly seen here. Some high cloud tops there
    222826.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Any more rumbles to be expected tonight. Can't beat lightening at night :)

From ESTOFEX:
    ... N-Ireland, Scotland and N-UK ...

Sporadic thunderstorm activity occurs beneath cold mid-levels and atop the warm SSTs. Highest probabilities probably exist after sunset, when a strong vort max approaches from the west with 500 hPa temperatures dropping to -28°C or less. Strong winds accompany storms.

Aviation chart for 1 am shows some embedded Cbs to 24,000 ft along a trough in the northwest. Met Éireann's chart states isolated heavy rain showers and thunderstorms in that area.

PGDE14_EGRR_0000.PNG

Trying to edit my video from today, forgot that I uninstalled all my software when I updated to Windows 7! Maybe i'll get it done tomorrow, also have to remember my you tube account details!

Here's one shot as it moved away towards Athenry/Monivea direction
    222834.JPG

This is the best I could do so far on the funnel cloud, right in the centre of the picture.
    222835.jpg

Looks great redsteveireland !

Strike detected Near Ballina , Mayo about 20mins ago folks... might stay up another bit to see what happens :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some nice thunder and lightning here too yesterday afternoon which I wasn't expecting at all. Very interesting was how long some of the rumbles lasted as the shower came into 'hearing' distance with some of them lasting up to a minute with nice high quality bassy booms. It was unusually dark as well which just added a certain grimness to the whole atmosphere. :)

Yesterday afternoon's strikes from Meteox.

21otq2q.jpg
    Here's one shot as it moved away towards Athenry/Monivea direction

This region seems to be the wettest part of the country so far this October with 27.0 mm already recorded at the Athenry met station, wetter than even Valentia at this point though I doubt this boast will last too long.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1875
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=2275

A nice developing Cumulonimbus Capillatus over towards the Ashbourne region atm :)

Here is a vid I put together in relation to today's shower activity

Data: Met Eireann, EUMETSAT and NASA/MODIS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhgzNq162M

Thunder!!! D11 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty big thunder clap during a very heavy rain shower here in Dublin 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lightning strike near the Blanchardstown centre. Even caught it on the dashcam. I'll try upload it later.

Got the thunder roll on video , not great, was looking out the wrong window to hav had a chance to see the flash!! GRRR!!!!!!!

Lightning strike near the Blanchardstown centre. Even caught it on the dashcam. I'll try upload it later.

222918.png

:) .. Would of loved to see the flash myself! :'(

• Advertisement

Plenty of heavy showers here all day. Here are 2 pics of another one rolling in.

222920.jpg
    222921.jpg

Advertisement