Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Autumn/Winter 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Missed the lightning but heard the thunder dam .

Some sky here now in DN22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

looking south over dublin city
    8050995743_06a0dff0be_z.jpg
    down there & not here by jbredrebel, on Flickr

and to the north east, facing balbriggan

DB2819316E57437DB5DC55F678AABCA3-0000346468-0003032273-00640L-664B3BD53B8F41899D912B10451C501C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Video of that storm that passed over Clare yesterday. This video was taken in Scarriff in East Clare. The storm had lost most of its intensity at this stage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sparks now showing up on the west coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some more strikes in the Mayo area ( colour is orange atm so hard to see with radar )

223026.png

Weak squall line now forming..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Just a pic from a big wicked looking shower yesterday afternoon.
    Half expected to see a funnel cloud from it but no, not even a spark from it:(
    That squall line looks like its building up a bit.

223027.jpg

223029.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy squally shower in galway, gone very dark again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:eek:

223030.png

latest strike locations (Red)
    223045.gif

• Advertisement

A4X5EG-CcAA6Ciy.jpg:largeJust got this with phone, beauty.....

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

nice downpour here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Torrential downpour in armagh city. massive flash of lightening and a great rumble with it. The rain is easing now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Here's the video of the strike in Blanchardstown yesterday (from around 0:12 onwards, just to the left of the large yellow thing in the centre of the screen).

Poor quality as it's an app on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Here's the video of the strike in Blanchardstown yesterday (from around 0:12 onwards, just to the left of the large yellow thing in the centre of the screen).

Poor quality as it's an app on my phone.

Is that one of those safety cam app recorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Apocalyptic stuff in Belfast at the moment. It is actually as black as night. No thunder or lightning that I've heard or seen yet though:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Phone socket blown off my wall at home - that was some humdinger of a thunderstorm.

I know 2 people whose phones got fried. I was so lucky to have unplugged my phone and modem at the first rumble. Just got internet back now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Is that one of those safety cam app recorders?
    Daily Roads Voyager is the name of it. Got it cos I was too poor to get a real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    Plenty of heavy showers here all day. Here are 2 pics of another one rolling in.

222920.jpg
    222921.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the two U.F.O's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I see ship TBWUK35 reported a squall and 47 knot winds between the Faroes and the Shetlands at 1800 UTC this evening. It was located at 61.9N 3.2W, which is right along the frontal trough in the 1800 UTC FAX. 3-metre waves were reported, which would not be high enough to correspond to long-lived 47-knot winds, so it would indeed have been a sudden increase in wind associated with a squall. The isobaric gradient shown would suggest around 15 knots.
    BBXX TBWUK35 04184 99619 70032 41597 80747 10080 49857 51040 71866 888//
    22253 00100 20706 399// 40805=

223143.PNG

• Advertisement

talkabout wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else see the two U.F.O's :)

I actually spotted them after Talkabout. I have no idea what they are. Some sort of digital malfunction with the camera I guess.

Was driving this morning and noticed that the sky was basically divided into two parts, cloud and blue skies. The cloud line was directly across the centre of the sky. Couldn't take a photo of it as I was driving.

Looking at the satellite images and rainfall radar now and I can see the same line
    223158.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Was driving this morning and noticed that the sky was basically divided into two parts, cloud and blue skies. The cloud line was directly across the centre of the sky. Couldn't take a photo of it as I was driving.

Looking at the satellite images and rainfall radar now and I can see the same line

Yes, noticed that too at 8.30 as I was leaving the house with a 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old. The three of us were suitably impressed with this vista from the front door:

picture.php?albumid=1480&pictureid=14044

You can see the northern edge of the cloud but the really eye catching bit for us was the leading white wisps caught by the rising sun. Any name for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Caught this this morning thought it looked rather cool!

47A5CDC27A674B5BAC422282B953353B-0000334566-0003033831-00800L-30C0EFBE10F44E329A5CDBA06389D343.jpg

Southern coastal areas, including Cork City, have seen a miserable day weatherwise but the region can count itself lucky that it has missed the worst of the rain...so far

223214.gif

This rain is going to push east toward southern england and Wales later this eve and flood warnings are out here.

I would be a little concerned about the next few hours as it looks like more intense precipitation from this system will clip south Munster. This could lead to difficult driving conditions and some spot flooding. I do not think it was foreseen in forecasts that the system would edge this far north.

Take care if you are out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Southern coastal areas, including Cork City, have seen a miserable day weatherwise but the region can count itself lucky that it has missed the worst of the rain...so far

I would be a little concerned about the next few hours as it looks like more intense precipitation.

My rain alarm has been going off all day, but I've done my couple of walks and it was quite pleasant. Some really dark clouds on and off but now a calmness and medium dull think featureless cloud cover.

Been showing my wife the heavy rain just missing us, radar does show a possible hit soon, however, it does not 'feel' like rain, it did earlier but just did not materialise.

Been watching, am watching. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

jprboy wrote: »
    Yes, noticed that too at 8.30 as I was leaving the house with a 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old. The three of us were suitably impressed with this vista from the front door:

picture.php?albumid=1480&pictureid=14044

You can see the northern edge of the cloud but the really eye catching bit for us was the leading white wisps caught by the rising sun. Any name for these?

I would call it cirrocumulus vertebratus

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Was there any reports of thunder over Athlone at around 3:30 - 4:00. Had some huge black clouds pass over the north of the town and I was on the golf course with a few friends. The rain was so heavy with hailstones in it and we couldn't quite hear it with our umbrellas up, but it sounded like there was thunder and one of the lads even thought he saw a flash or two.

Ye folks that have those fancy websites that show the strikes might be able to let us know :)

Ye folks that have those fancy websites that show the strikes might be able to let us know :)

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html
    http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=lightning

computer-says-no1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

223214.gif

It hasn't been a bad day here at all...

Only just started raining in the last 30 minutes or so...And it's not even that heavy... Yet....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Su Campu wrote: »
    I would call it cirrocumulus vertebratus

Never heard of that one Su, so looked them up, they are lovely...

While I was looking them up I came across Cirrocumulus Lacunosus, they look like a good descriptor for them too...Do you know them, what do you think? (I was just going by pictures... you probably have the science :)

Either way, absolutely gorgeous!

Advertisement