Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Autumn/Winter 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

eskimocat wrote: »
    Never heard of that one Su, so looked them up, they are lovely...

While I was looking them up I came across Cirrocumulus Lacunosus, they look like a good descriptor for them too...Do you know them, what do you think? (I was just going by pictures... you probably have the science :)

Either way, absolutely gorgeous!

Yes, you're probably right. Lacunosus is a better description, although it does show the rare transverse cirroform pattern that can occur on the periphery of strong jet streaks. Maybe cirrocumulus lacunosus vertebratus is a good compromise!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »

Ye folks that have those fancy websites that show the strikes might be able to let us know :)

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html
    http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=lightning

computer-says-no1.jpg

Thank you :) wish i had my phone on me. The clouds looked awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

0 - -1 LI 2moro with some slight cape and nice lapse rates, but poor shear tomorrow.. so possible pulse type showers in the south and midlands , hail possible with the odd bit of sparky spark here and there... too tired to upload charts.. sowi..

3 STRIKES recorded in Cork from a pretty nasty cell !

224227.png

Any photos people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Iancar29 wrote: »
    3 STRIKES recorded in Cork from a pretty nasty cell !

224227.png

Any photos people?!

Hmmmmm....

Didn't see or hear a thing..

Feck it anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Any photos people?!

No, about 12:30 was coming back from Ballycotton and watched the cell roll in. It was featureless with no photographic interest imo. I was going to stop to take a snap anyway.

I drove into it, and it sure felt thundery, did not hear anything and at the time of your post I was at home. It was pretty brief for the radar echo as it passed over Cork city going east.

Might have been intensifying, I was noticing a few convection clouds and then the dark mass in the distance which just filled the sky as we hurtled towards it, no defining features from my angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

heard nothing. that torrential downpour was not fun to be in though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    heard nothing. that torrential downpour was not fun to be in though. :(

Ahhh,,It was great to be out in it..Traffic was heavy though..Wipers were going mental. :D

Love this weather..

Cb Capillatus over N dublin :)

554533_10151268322461718_312559950_n.jpg

Potential wallcloud!! :O ....

190245_10151268341981718_1452354385_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Some nice convectiOn over towards the airport , viewing from work here so can't post photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Anyone in Wicklow or Wexford, LOOK EAST NOW! Regular large flashes visible over the Irish sea on the horizon. Not near a pc but from the radar I presume those cells near the welsh coast are the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Anyone in Wicklow or Wexford, LOOK EAST NOW! Regular large flashes visible over the Irish sea on the horizon. Not near a pc but from the radar I presume those cells near the welsh coast are the cause?
    Yes Beasterly

Couple of strikes off Cardigan Bay
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

BEASTERLY wrote: »

I saw some massive convection earlier from the coast today that looked to be out towards Welsh coast, looks to have kept up forming just off the coast and moving inland for most of the day. Some strikes showing up now off the welsh coast alright
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ESTOFEX have issued a rare Level 3 for Sicily and southern Italy today.
    A level 3 was issued for Sicily and far S-Italy mainly for excessive rainfall amounts, very large hail, damaging wind gusts and tornadoes (a signifcant event is possible).

A major and potential life-threatening severe thunderstorm outbreak is forecast, including excessive and flash flood producing rainfall amounts and strong tornadoes over Sicily and parts of S-Italy.

More here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Massive supercell the size of Ireland over Sicily right now, continuous lightning across the whole mass of it

22448138.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Found this live streaming camera in Sicily you can see the lightning

Link: http://torrefarometeowebcam.dyndns.org:8150/en/avmain.asp

Link no worky Storm 10 :(

Scroll down and press the play button its working for me non stop blue flashes

http://www.camscape.com/view/34241

Not as bad now as it was 10 minutes ago but pretty crazy

• Advertisement

No picture at my end is it working

neither work for me :'(

Ah working for me for the past hour..?

Keep reloading and it might work, well worth it, its gone mental again now, massive flashes of lightning and crazy wind and rain, power keeps flashing on and off

Edit: While its loading, click the camscape logo in the top left then click back, worked for me when I tried to open it again

THanks working now

Jez that lightning is unreal pity there is no sound

Harps wrote: »
    Ah working for me for the past hour..?

Keep reloading and it might work, well worth it, its gone mental again now, massive flashes of lightning and crazy wind and rain, power keeps flashing on and off

Edit: While its loading, click the camscape logo in the top left then click back, worked for me when I tried to open it again

woo! worked!!... liking the music too! :D

dance_animated_gif-2-1.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Estofex have Level 1 warning for Ireland (mainly for the eastern half) today:

...SW UK and Ireland...

Some cold air convection is expected in the wake of the cold front of a low pressure system west of Ireland. Some hundred J/kg of SBCAPE in the lowest levels may point at a slight tornado chance as LL wind shear is in order of 10 m/s, locally even more. As common for intense extratropical cyclones with a strong gradient flow and convection in the wake of the trough, isolated convectively enhanced severe wind gusts are possible as well.

http://www.estofex.org/

I confused about that level one... i cant see any charts showing any hope till 2moro morning???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

I confused about that level one... i cant see any charts showing any hope till 2moro morning???????

Think it more for strong wind gusts

A level 1 was issued for SE Ireland and SW UK for severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

Advertisement