Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Autumn/Winter 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

vickers209 wrote: »
    Think it more for strong wind gusts

A level 1 was issued for SE Ireland and SW UK for severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

The strong winds dont arrive till mid day 2moro.. .

Starting to think it is indeed from 2moro morning the level 1 risk is for, could be a pre dawen sparky spark display for some lucky people :)

224688.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Starting to think it is indeed from 2moro morning the level 1 risk is for, could be a pre dawen sparky spark display for some lucky people :)

Yeah, just bear in mind that the Estofex forecasts tend to be 0600 to 0600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Very heavy rain in Cork now..

I think flood warnings have been issued for the City Centre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

DOCARCH wrote: »

Excellent...:D

• Advertisement

POSTING Lightning data in storm alert thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There seems to be some thunder activity in West Cork and South Kerry at the moment. This cell will probably move up towards Limerick in the next hour out two.

A couple of strikes now this morning from showers off the south and SE coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 171930/172230 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST SOUTH OF N5400 AND EAST OF W01000 TOP FL300 WKN=

That ended then at half 10 ?... still some cell along the east coast that might pop something off.

This shot was taken earlier over on the welsh coast by a Paul Appleby... lucky BASTID!! ha

227545_10151221008492145_1051542568_n.jpg

• Advertisement

That ended then at half 10 ?... still some cell along the east coast that might pop something off.

This shot was taken earlier over on the welsh coast by a Paul Appleby... lucky BASTID!! ha

227545_10151221008492145_1051542568_n.jpg

That's 22:30 UTC (23:30L). Sigmets are only issued for 3 hour periods. It expired and none was issued in its place.

Anyone have a good view of the lone cell just West of Maynooth?... its mostly blocked from here for a decent shot but looks like it has nice structure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nice rotation over central Ireland, its not something you see too often.
    press play >

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Cells on the east coast too!!!... anyone out near swords or howth for a shot?! Nice anvils on them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Cells on the east coast too!!!... anyone out near swords or howth for a shot?! Nice anvils on them!!

Dam it i was going to,was driving by there today then is started bucketing down:mad:

They have produced off the Louth/Down coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Energy dissapating rapidly now, Evelyn's warning of evening downpours and thunder might be a bit wide of the mark

That's some convection line currently between Cherbourg and Southampton!

225011.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Messing around with Photoshop I overlayed recorded monthly sferics from the UK Met Office archive to get a picture of the extent of strikes this year so far over Ireland. The result: (map covers period Jan to Sept)

225395.png

Think I'll have to move east! :D Map looks a bit grainy but will mess around with transparency options etc to see if it possible to get a better sense of lightning strike density as opposed to just layering sferics on top of one another as I think it might be interesting to see which locality (if it is possible) has seen the highest density of strikes in the year 2012 at years end. So far this year, it seems that SW to Mid Ulster and North/central Leinster have seen the most strikes so far, but that is just going by a quick eye over.

Image(s) from UK Met Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This thread might get quite busy later in the week (hopefully) - with cold Arctic air over the still warm sea there may be some decent convective storms for those of us in coastal areas, like October 2003 and Nov 2010 though obviously nowhere near as cold as '10.
    It may not happen of course, pressure may be too high and the atmosphere too stable but the ingredients are certainly there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Nice map deep easterly. I think what you need is a heatmap. I played around with them before once.
    It would give a better idea of the hotspot areas than the map in its current state.
    Though you would have extract all the coordinates of the strikes from your image to get it to work. That could be tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nice map deep easterly. I think what you need is a heatmap. I played around with them before once.
    It would give a better idea of the hotspot areas than the map in its current state.
    Though you would have extract all the coordinates of the strikes from your image to get it to work. That could be tricky.

Sounds interesting!:) I have no idea as to how to create a heat map though but is it possible to create one using Photoshop? Will welcome any advice.

The idea I had was to try and overlay each months' sferic data using a set (and low) transparency, thus the more sferic layers applied the more 'dense' the sferic colour would become if layered directly a previous month/s sferic. Tricky thing with this is that it seems to be near impossible to set a transparency rate once these sferics are copied from one image before pasting onto another. (not sure if the above makes sense at all :o)

A SIGMET's been issued for embedded thunderstorms forecast in the northwest, moving southeastwards at 25 kt.

EISN SIGMET 04 VALID 280830/281030 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST N OF 5330 N W OF W008 TOP FL320 MOV SE AT 25KT NC=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen a flash of lightening here a while ago.

Thunderstorms forecast for the northwest

EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 031130/031530 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR EMBD TS FCST W OF LINE N5520 W00655 - N5425 W00810 - N5330 W00900 - N5200 W00900 AND S OF N5200 TOP FL220/250 NC=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of sferics scattered around the country, anyone have a better map to pinpoint those strikes in the west? Galway/Clare area?
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Or here for the rain radar overlay, turn on ATD at the top

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Looks like they were somewhere around Gort

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A heavy shower passing here(Knock Airport) at the moment. No thunder but plenty of CB's about. Just 5 degrees here now with a dew point of 2 degrees. An Aer Arann aircraft avoiding thunderstorms en route to Cork atm also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Very dark sky to the west of Galway city at the moment, have a great view of it from the window so keeping an eye out for an unlikely strike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sunday world reporting storms next week! Is there a thread on it?

Advertisement