Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bud_Cheap/Bud_Dear etc

• 08-09-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

I was in Tesco today and I saw an offer. Buy two boxes of 20 bottles of Bud for 25 euro. Thats quite cheap. But what I have been told is, the quality of the beer in them offers is worse than the normal ones you would buy.

For example with that offer 1litre of that Budwiser would be E2...

Where as the normal bottles of Budwiser which were in the shop were E4.50 a litre.

That goes for most of the beers that come on offer.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Is it true? If so how much worse can the ones on offer be :):)

ps... as you know they have these offers regularly :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I was in Tesco today and I saw an offer. Buy two boxes of 20 bottles for 25 euro. Thats quite cheap. But what I have been told is, the quality of the beer in them offers is worse than the normal ones you would buy.

Where as the normal bottles of Budwiser which were in the shop were E4.50 a litre.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Is it true? If so how much worse can the ones on offer be :):)

Good god, how could they make that tripe worse? Kick you in the balls after drinking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tesco's own brand of anything is 99% of the time gonna be worse than a proper brand./

cloud493 wrote: »
    Tesco's own brand of anything is 99% of the time gonna be worse than a proper brand./

That's like saying "oh good, I've developed type II diabetes. Type I would have been worse"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It's Bud, it will taste like piss either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Feck off with yer 'Bud' and drink a real beer (as in anything that isn't 'Bud')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In before the beer snobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

In before the beer snobs
    No, no you weren't. Pity. Bud must be crap, that's why they sell so little of it... no, wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

How could even contemplate drinking that paint stripper...

I'd rather go sober, and that's saying summit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

It's all good op. Get it into ya and be merry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

RachaelVO wrote: »
    How could even contemplate drinking that paint stripper...

I'd rather go sober, and that's saying summit!

What do you drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What do you drink?

Dutch Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Mostly drank by Red Necks over here. Slips down smoothly whilst sitting on the tailgate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hang on, slow down. Budweiser is a beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Apparently all popular beers do it.
    Was talking to a manager of an off-license a few years back. I just happened to say how 1 euro for a can of Carlsberg was good value to him. He said it wasn't the proper Carlsberg. Its still made by Carlsberg but just a cheaper version they also make.

What do you drink?

Depends, I am currently drinking a belgian beer called Duivel, but usually a micro beer called Bolle Jan (it's Dutch, from Eindhoven). Nice stuff, all natural. When I'm home it's usually Carlsberg.
    zerks wrote: »
    Dutch Gold.

Saints preserve us from that sh1te!

Pottler wrote: »
    No, no you weren't. Pity. Bud must be crap, that's why they sell so little of it... no, wait..

Since when does quantity = quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

This is one of the worst things about the forum
    OP asks a question that in normal society would be answered, but here everyone tells them how ****e their taste is. And it's a bit predictable

OP, don't know the answer, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

keith16 wrote: »
    Since when does quantity = quality?

its not quantity is popularity in this case. not saying i like it or dislike it before i get dragged into beer snobbery which always ends terribly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This is one of the worst things about the forum
    OP asks a question that in normal society would be answered, but here everyone tells them how ****e their taste is. And it's a bit predictable

OP, don't know the answer, sorry

In real life most people just wouldn't tear into some randomer over their taste of beer. Here they would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

eth0 wrote: »
    In real life most people just wouldn't tear into some randomer over their taste of beer. Here they would

In fairness, no matter what the subject is people try to tear into anyways.

Like there are joke threads, threads of serious topics, news threads & then random observation type threads (like this one) .. doesnt matter what it is alot of people just wanna tear it apart. Ideally the op. Whilst trying to be "witty" and always proving that their opinion is 100% correct.

Yes, boards.ie is not meant to be taken seriously but if a guy is posting a thread about something there is no need to be a dick like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I was in Tesco today and I saw an offer. Buy two boxes of 20 bottles of Bud for 25 euro. Thats quite cheap. But what I have been told is, the quality of the beer in them offers is worse than the normal ones you would buy.

Buy the offer and buy one separate full price bottle. Inspect the labels see if there's any difference and then taste to see if there's any difference?

Who told you about this by the way? I never heard it before myself.

BA Baracus said some off licence manager told him it, but if he doesn't get them offers in himself it's in his interest to spread rumours like these. Also that could have been the UK Carlsberg which is regularly sold cheap which is a measly 3.8%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Depends, I am currently drinking a belgian beer called Duivel
    oh no you're not. no such beer

kenmc wrote: »
    oh no you're not. no such beer

Ooop, added an I, should be Duvel

http://www.duvel.be/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hang on, slow down. Budweiser is a beer?

Nope, it's a lager. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Pottler wrote: »

Selling a lot of something doesn't make it a good product. It just means they are fcuking excellent at marketing. It's like the emperors new clothes.
    Mickey H wrote: »
    Nope, it's a lager. ;)

It's still a beer. All lager is beer, but not all beer is lager.

Depends on your definition of a good product
    Personally I can't stand the stuff, but plenty do. And these are people who have (often) tried all sorts but are happy with their bud, and so drink it by choice. And if so good luck to them. And Bud has been successful by appealing to them

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

zerks wrote: »
    Dutch Gold.

Dutch Mould is rank !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

It's still a beer. All lager is beer, but not all beer is lager.

Good point.

I think it's wrong to call someone a "beer snob" because they dislike budweiser. It would be like calling someone a music snob for disliking Justin Beiber. It's just shíte produced for the masses. Nothing snobby about it.

• Advertisement

I think it's wrong to call someone a "beer snob" because they dislike budweiser. It would be like calling someone a music snob for disliking Justin Beiber. It's just shíte produced for the masses. Nothing snobby about it.

That's probably the best beer comparison I've heard in a while and quite accurate.

Us "beer snobs" generally don't like bud because it's designed to be as inoffensive as possible to as many people as possible. With no flavours that are too strong and nothing that stands out at all. It is entirely unremarkable, and if it came on the market tomorrow as a new beer without the marketing campaign that has gotten it where it is, it would die a death.

eth0 wrote: »

I do, I constantly give my dad abuse for drinking Bud :D

I'm always at him to try something, anything else. And he usually does in fairness, but still sticks to his budweiser!

I agree with you taste wise, it's inoffensive sh*te to my pallet. But people do like it, and we're not talking kids who like Bieber.
    And as kids for who like Bieber, big success for him, he has appealed to his market but yeah, kinda sad for adults to like it, which I don't think they do

One of my mates drinks Bud and we give him sh*te about it but that's just us being d1cks, he may not have the best taste to our eyes but he likes it and doesn't like much else

Personally I think he's missing out but then he knows a lot more than me about plenty of other things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ooop, added an I, should be Duvel

http://www.duvel.be/

fucking great choice man!!
    didn't know you could get it in Ireland
    any beer that translates as Devils beer is good with me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

To answer the question, No, cheaper promotional offers of Budweiser (or any other drink) wont be different than the regularly prices drink. Carslbery can be different, because there are a few different variations of Carlsberg on sale in Ireland.
    That's not to say the Budweiser in the Republic of Ireland can be different to that brewed in the UK (or northern Ireland) and a large chain like Tesco could be selling UK Budweiser at a cheaper price than Irish Budweiser (but i doubt it).

Mickey H wrote: »
    Nope, it's a lager. ;)

lager is a beer. bud is just piss tho

• Advertisement

I agree with you taste wise, it's inoffensive sh*te to my pallet. But people do like it.
    I'm not sure that's true, I think those folk dislike bud less than they dislike other alcoholic products, and only drink it for the sake of drinking something alcoholic. I've gone to places where the choices were bud or 7up, chose 7 up every time

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true, I think those folk dislike bud less than they dislike other alcoholic products, and only drink it for the sake of drinking something alcoholic. I've gone to places where the choices were bud or 7up, chose 7 up every time

I think that's pretty cynical, I think they just like it.

I think that's pretty cynical, I think they just like it.

Budweiser is like Milhouse, noone likes it. They just like advertising. And Bud do have some of the best ads out there.

they do have good ads. that's where the money goes, certainly not into the ingredients.

Ah lads, not being sh*tty with ye or anything, but is it beyond your comprehension that someone might just like it?

People have different tastes, this is abc stuff

• Advertisement

Ah lads, not being sh*tty with ye or anything, but is it beyond your comprehension that someone might just like it?

People have different tastes, this is abc stuff

Yes it is very much beyond comprehension. People might put up with it, but there are no strong flavours or aroma's in Budweiser. I can't understand how people with a choice in the thousands of beers in the world would go for Budweiser and consider it the best.

It's not that they like bud, it's that they dislike other beers, more than likely because the advertising isn't good enough. I have yet to hear a single solid argument of why Budweiser is better than any beer. It's great advertising and mediocre taste.

I'd chuck Miller and Coors in there too. Very similar to Bud.

While the major Western European beers are all pretty much the exact same as each other too. Heineken and Carlsberg, drinkers of both will swear there is a difference, but most would fail a blind taste test.

Yes it is very much beyond comprehension. People might put up with it, but there are no strong flavours or aroma's in Budweiser. I can't understand how people with a choice in the thousands of beers in the world would go for Budweiser and consider it the best.

It's not that they like bud, it's that they dislike other beers, more than likely because the advertising isn't good enough. I have yet to hear a single solid argument of why Budweiser is better than any beer. It's great advertising and mediocre taste.

I'd chuck Miller and Coors in there too. Very similar to Bud.

While the major Western European beers are all pretty much the exact same as each other too. Heineken and Carlsberg, drinkers of both will swear there is a difference, but most would fail a blind taste test.

Well to go back to the music argument that you enjoyed earlier, I doubt there are too many Bieber fans who would say that it is better than Bach or Mozart but it is what they like and what they prefer

I doubt there are too many McDoald fans who would say it is better than fine dining but it is what they prefer

It is there preference, and as such is implicit that they prefer it...

You, and I don't mean this in a d1ckish way, may consider yourself someone who knows beer, and if so I admire your knowledge.
    But I guarantee you, for example, that my buddy who likes but would know 100 times more than you abut wood and its grain and how to work it and smell it and how to enjoy it. But he wouldn't deride someone for being happy with a nice Ikea flatpack for their apartment

You don't like Bud. That's sound. But others do. Is it technically the best beer. Christ no. But lots like it anyway, and I doubt that many would be so condescending as to suggest it would be but are quite happy drinking it because, well because they just enjoy it

indeed, its like a religion to some. personally I'd always choose the beer I've never had before when given a choice, just in case its the most mind blowing, eye opening experience EVER! carlswiesermillliken drinkers always stick to the one boring crud as "it always tastes the same and I know what I'm getting"
    yawn.

You don't like Bud. That's sound. But others do. Is it technically the best beer. Christ no.
    actually, it IS technically the best beer. there is so nothing flavourwise in it, that any little mistake in the process will be instantly noticed. I've brewed the same recipe many times, but have never ended up with the same beer twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Bollocks.

Take Czech Budvar for example. It tastes remarkably the same as Budweiser, albeit with slightly more kick due to its higher alcohol content. Yet Budvar is a bit of a niche drink and is highly rated. Budweiser is the mass produced muck? Please.

Bollocks.

Take Czech Budvar for example. It tastes remarkably the same as Budweiser
    eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

2 boxes of bud for 25 euro?? ****ing hell, I spend that much on 2 grams of bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

I like Budwiser.... Thats why I drink it. If I liked something else I would drink something else simple as. I prefer to drink Rum to Vodka, why? Because I think it tastes nicer, as for beer, bud is my choice.

Advertisement