Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the security in the new Visa debit card

Options
  • 08-09-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭

The OH used a new Visa Debit Card today.

Also asked for cashback, and the card was swiped through a reader (it also has a wireless logo on it too, so assume some places its only a matter of waving it near a reader) and was given back by the assistant, complete with the money.

No more entering a PIN number?

So I wondered where's the security?

If someone found that card lying on the ground, whats to stop them doing the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭3DataModem

NIMAN wrote: »
    The OH used a new Visa Debit Card today.

Also asked for cashback, and the card was swiped through a reader (it also has a wireless logo on it too, so assume some places its only a matter of waving it near a reader) and was given back by the assistant, complete with the money.

No more entering a PIN number?

So I wondered where's the security?

If someone found that card lying on the ground, whats to stop them doing the same?

No PIN? Are you sure?

The wireless reader only works for 20 euro or less. Was it that small?

Check receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

3DataModem wrote: »

Check receipt.

So if you found a card , you could do multiple "small" transactions with no security check for PIN . etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For contactless transactions, PIN entry is required from time to time as a security check.

Also very surprised if the PIN wasn't required for cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I have ulster bank and boi visa debit cards and I have never been able to carry out a transaction in person without using the pin and most of my online transactions required the verified by visa password thing that i never can remember!

Maybe check with your bank and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats what OH told me. tbh I think the cost was 40ish, plus took out more than double that in cashback.

The card was swiped through a reader not the ones you would stick card into and type in your PIN. Then handed back.

It was when came back to the car that the lack of security was mentioned, so can only assume my version of events is as it happened.

Slightly worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you sign a slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    3DataModem wrote: »

Check receipt.

So if you found a card , you could do multiple "small" transactions with no security check for PIN . etc ...

Just like cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did you sign a slip?

No, nothing signed.

Bar the odd random time when you might be asked to enter a PIN, this appears to be a bit open to fraud if the card is lost.

I never found entering a PIN troublesome, why do away with it?

Advertisement