Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The RTE spin machine

• 08-09-2012 8:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭

I decided to switch over to six one news tonight to see if i could grab coverage of the funeral of slain republican Alan Ryan. Since it was a high profile murder I thought it would of been on the mainheadlines but it wasn't and instead they had the ongoing investigation into four murders in France confused.png

Is it fair to say that the state broadcaster has deliberately refused to include this in its headlines and if so, who's behind this kind of political broadcasting?
    Tbh, I like to make my mind up on political issues and I don't need the likes of RTE with its reputation of broadcasting sh.it television impeding on that.
    If the guy in question was using the RIRAs name as a cover for criminal activities then I say fair enough but at least let the public make its mind up on the issue without the interferance of state television.

Mods, I don't want this thread merged with the other one. Any thread which includes an opening post that says 'good riddance' to somebody who was murdered is an absolute disgrace and is akin to the journalism practices of RTE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Totally agree OP, I fear RTE and other media outlets have decided or being told to keep this as low key as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who gives a **** that his funeral was today?

The murders in France is the far bigger story imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

Local news has always taken precedence over foreign news and the thread on his murder has shown how popular the topic is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Two innocent people were shot dead in france and their two daughters were let live to witness it in France. One scumbag got shot in Dublin.

Two is greater than one.

Whats the problem?

Edit: It was his burial? In that case I care even less. How is that news worthy?

slum dog wrote: »
    Local news has always taken precedence over foreign news!
    No, it hasn't.

The biggest news story takes precedence over the non biggest news story, regardless of the country of origin.

• Advertisement

No, it hasn't.

The biggest news story takes precedence over the non biggest news story, regardless of the country of origin.

So where is the thread on that then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Wow. No sarcasm intended but it is amazing to me that they would broadcast the funeral of one lone slain individual. It happens so frequently here that it just isn't something we'd show on the news unless it was a major celebrity or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I fail to see how yet another ex-IRA man being killed (not even, it's only the funeral. What are they going to say?) is bigger than the mysterious circumstances of a family and a passer-by being shot in the head.

Local news has always taken precedence over foreign news and the thread on his murder has shown how popular the topic is!

Foreign news trumps local non-news.

If he was in the RIRA he was a scumbag and I don't care he is dead, and I care even less that he got buried.

The murder of Alan Ryan is the biggest killing of a senior Republican in the Republic since Seamus Costello back in 1977, It has huge significance for this country in what sort of backlash the RIRA take,And what sort of backlash Criminals take,And for people to say let them kill each other that never works out.Innocents will certainly be killed here and to me that's much more important then murders in france.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I imagine they didn't cover because it's not really a story is it? Scumbag gets murdered & is buried. No big deal really. It's sad that Ireland has become like this but these stories are so commonplace now that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid never mind give a ****. It's such a common occurrence that we have become desensitised.
    And I imagine they didn't want to glorify his death in any way to people who are easily swayed by his criminal life.

Here.

Where's the thread about the funeral coverage today?

Well the fact that he was murdered exactly one year after the death of Michael Kelly maybe of some interest to those following the coverage. Ryan's gang was allegedly involved in that murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Should he have been given a state funeral covered live on RTE.??
    The mind boggles with the attitude of some posters here.:confused:
    The country is broke/bankrupt/fcuked or whatever way you want to phrase it.
    Much more important agendas than tv coverage of the murder of a multiple murderer.:mad:
    while i do agree with you on one thing, RTE is a shambles, but i for one do not want my licence fee spent on covering the funeral of a degenerate.

realies wrote: »
    The murder of Alan Ryan is the biggest killing of a senior Republican in the Republic since Seamus Costello back in 1977, It has huge significance for this country in what sort of backlash the RIRA take,And what sort of backlash Criminals take,And for people to say let them kill each other that never works out.Innocents will certainly be killed here and to me that's much more important then murders in france.

Thats nice but "what sort of backlash the RIRA may take", is not news so much as guess work. Guessing such would be irresponsible journalism, and I for one am happy to see RTE not try to guess what they may or may not do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Here:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't see why the funeral would make the news, the shooting would but the funeral is really only of interest to the print rags and the curtain twitchers that infest this country

His murder has already received plenty of media coverage, we're not talking about his murder though, we're talking about his funeral, which is a non-story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I don't understand why anyone would want to see the funeral of someone they don't know broadcast on television in the first place. Its an invasion of the familys privacy as far as im concerned. Regardless of the life they led.

Funerals are for paying respects and supporting a family who are grieving, whatever the deceased did or didn't do.

Here.

Where's the thread about the funeral coverage today?

The thread got 203 replies and the other one got 700+

Its obvious which topic is more popular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

yes boards is the pulse of the nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

They covered his murder in fairness, prob didn't want to glorify his funeral by broadcasting the suited men carrying his coffin for fear of making a martyr of him.

I agree though, its a sad state of affairs when the national broadcaster gets dictated to as to what is and is not to be shown on the news.

IMO, the sooner RTE gets sold off and privatised the better.

The YLYL thread has nearly 9000 replies, maybe that should have made the headlines?

The YLYL thread has nearly 9000 replies, maybe that should have made the headlines?

Whats the YLYL thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Rte covering funerals is weird enough as is, some priest being given national airtime to tell how someone he didn't know from Adam was a fine person and what a tragic loss it was. Or else the likes of a big fire which kills a family, "The local priest said the community was in shock" Wow, you don't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Man gets shot: unexpected and is news.

Man is buried after being shot: natural continuation and is not news. Wouldn't expect more than a short clip as a reminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In reference to the France shootings, stuff like that happens every day in the likes of Sudan and Uganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I thought this was going to be about the winning streak spinning machine thing :o

• Advertisement

Whats the YLYL thread?
    Does it matter?

Look, all I'm saying is it's really not the biggest story. The shooting happened almost a week ago, and there's no great mystery behind it. It's all pretty clear what happened and why, it's old news.

The shooting in the Alps happened only two days ago, almost a whole family were murdered by what seems to be an assassin, a little girl lay under dead bodies for a few hours and we're none the wiser as to who did it or why. It's not old news, it's current and as a result is given priority in the media.

Does it matter?

Look, all I'm saying is it's really not the biggest story. The shooting happened almost a week ago, and there's no great mystery behind it. It's all pretty clear what happened and why, it's old news.

The shooting in the Alps happened only two days ago, almost a whole family were murdered by what seems to be an assassin, a little girl lay under dead bodies for a few hours and we're none the wiser as to who did it or why. It's not old news, it's current and as a result is given priority in the media.

So you think RTE didn't suppress this story then?

This no ordinary Funeral in the sense that there are masked men & women supported by hundreds of mourners/onlookers at it.These same people dont & wont recognize our Government or courts,To me that is news that I want to know about as it might concern me here.

So you think RTE didn't suppress this story then?

Suppress what story?

I don't think freedom of speech should have to suffer just because the funeral might of given the RIRA a propaganda boost

This no ordinary Funeral in the sense that there are masked men & women supported by hundreds of mourners/onlookers at it.These same people dont & wont recognize our Government or courts,To me that is news that I want to know about as it might concern me here.

Ok, let me fill you in. There are masked men and women who don't recognize our government at a funeral of a guy who got shot a few days ago and might have been in a terrorist organisation. In other news, Galway is getting ready to sock it to Kilkenny tomorrow in a game of two halves involving 22 men running around after a piece of turf. And now the weather: The kids are back to school which means theres a decent chance of a bit of sunshine, but bring your umbrella with you just in case. Radar charts can be viewed on the Met Eireann website, email us if yo can decypher them better than us.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Ok, let me fill you in. There are masked men and women who don't recognize our government at a funeral of a guy who got shot a few days ago and might have been in a terrorist organisation. In other news, Galway is getting ready to sock it to Kilkenny tomorrow in a game of two halves involving 22 men running around after a piece of turf. And now the weather: The kids are back to school which means there's a decent chance of a bit of sunshine, but bring your umbrella with you just in case. Radar charts can be viewed on the Met Eireann website, email us if yo can decyfer them better than us.

Don't need you to fill me on anything thanks.But I would expect the state broadcaster to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get why some gangland funeral should be on the six o'clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The RTE spin machine :pac: FFS! How many here knew who this guy was before last week? He's a nobody. Just like the rest of those fools wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

In other news, Galway is getting ready to sock it to Kilkenny tomorrow in a game of two halves involving 22 men running around after a piece of turf.

30. It's hurling not soccer.

token101 wrote: »
    The RTE spin machine :pac: FFS! How many here knew who this guy was before last week? He's a nobody. Just like the rest of those fools wearing masks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Massereene_Barracks_shooting

He was one of the leaders of this ^^^^ organisation.

• Advertisement

Don't need you to fill me on anything thanks.But I would expect the state broadcaster to.

Why???
    30. It's hurling not soccer.

Sorry, haven't played hurling since I was about 10.

Why???

Why, well as you dont even know how many players are on a hurling team I will take RTE over you any day.

Why, well as you dont even know how many players are on a hurling team I will take RTE over you any day.

Because hurling and the Real IRA are so closely aligned.

Some douchebag got shot. Today they stuck him in the ground. Whoopdy feckin doo. Pass the scampi fries.

Because hurling and the Real IRA are so closely aligned.

Some douchebag got shot. Today they stuck him in the ground. Whoopdy feckin doo. Pass the scampi fries.

Whatever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whatever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

'Cause one rolleyes wasn't enough.

Tell you what. You take me off your christmas card list, I'll take you off mine, and we can both save ourselves a few cents this Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I decided to switch over to six one news tonight to see if i could grab coverage of the funeral of slain republican Alan Ryan. Since it was a high profile murder I thought it would of been on the mainheadlines but it wasn't and instead they had the ongoing investigation into four murders in France confused.png

Is it fair to say that the state broadcaster has deliberately refused to include this in its headlines and if so, who's behind this kind of political broadcasting?
    Tbh, I like to make my mind up on political issues and I don't need the likes of RTE with its reputation of broadcasting sh.it television impeding on that.
    If the guy in question was using the RIRAs name as a cover for criminal activities then I say fair enough but at least let the public make its mind up on the issue without the interferance of state television.

Mods, I don't want this thread merged with the other one. Any thread which includes an opening post that says 'good riddance' to somebody who was murdered is an absolute disgrace and is akin to the journalism practices of RTE.
    Jesus H christ a low life paedo child killing drug dealer gets his cumuppamce and you are up in arms because RTE are not glorifying his depravity?
    Get a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Good Riddance

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Good Riddance

You can say that again.

Good Riddance.

Edit: I wish I had said it sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

His funeral was covered on both the 6:01 and 9 o'clock news, and also on RTE news now. I'm really not sure what your gripe with RTE is? What's the conspiracy? :confused:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10046635

Its at 5:26 mins there

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10046652

and 09:16 on the 9 o'clock news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He would have been in his late teens around the time of the omagh bombing...very unlikely he was a boy general :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement