Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fries (Chips) or Chips (Crisps)

• 08-09-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Having a minor argument with a friend over what's better with a good burger. I say burgers go best with fries but my friend says with chips.

Burgers go best with: 119 votes

Fries (Chips)
    0% 0 votes
    Chips (Crisps)
    86% 103 votes
    OMG! Like totally a salad. For realz!
    10% 13 votes
    I can't be bothered.
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Eh, Chips (not crisps).

End of argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A Sandwich goes better with tayto's.

But a Burger goes with chips, there is no substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

daddy or chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

who eats a burger with crisps???????? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Burger, chips, swimming in vinegar.

Crisps, as someoe said, with a sandwich or a beer.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

chips - you know the ones you deep fry

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Are you American op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There are many restaurants around the US that make their own chips (crisps) to serve with their food. But mostly, during the summer months, people bbq burgers and eat chips (crisps) with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

IM0 wrote: »
    chips - you know the ones you deep fry

Not to be mistaken with the ones you solder onto a PCB. They're a bit hard and not so much flavour off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

littlelulu wrote: »
    who eats a burger with crisps???????? :eek:

See it all the time, in them fancy arse restaurants. Like 6 crisps on a plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

If ye are arguing over that, really, the pair of ye are simple.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Are you American op?

Location ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Anything edible generally goes with beer...:o

As for the burger thing it depends when your eating it. For lunch salad is good. After beer... see above

Having a minor argument with a friend over what's better with a good burger. I say burgers go best with fries but my friend says with chips.
    There are many restaurants around the US that make their own chips (crisps) to serve with their food. But mostly, during the summer months, people bbq burgers and eat chips (crisps) with them.

stop trying to americanise us OP. when in rome an all that...

chips = hot deep fried

crisps = cold and crispy ;)

xzanti wrote: »
    Location ;)

Plus profile. :D

Are you American op?

Location ;)
    I asked what the ops nationality is, not they're location.
    Sure I could have my location as France, doesn't mean I'm French.

IM0 wrote: »
    stop trying to americaniZe us OP. when in rome an all that...

chips = hot deep fried

crisps = cold and crispy ;)

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

cloud493 wrote: »

I wouldn't know anything about them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Why are you friends with someone who eats Taytos with a burger?

Do volunteer with special needs kids or something?

Location ;)

Plus profile. :D
    Had a look there now. Btw I can't see location as I'm on my phone.
    You can get away with calling them chips/ fries so.
    I might not like it but you can do it :)

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Why are you friends with someone who eats Taytos with a burger?

Do volunteer with special needs kids or something?

yeah he eats soft mushy things with a sharp crunchy thing. how many times has he been to the ER OP

in b4 the clip from pulp fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

With thick home made chips swimming in vinegar. Hate thin chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It's bad enough people calling Crisps 'taytos', what is this about calling them Chips? Not in this hemisphere :mad:

And Burgers and Chips every time. The ones you get from a Chipper, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Colonialists OUT! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

cloud493 wrote: »

Hardly seems worth it to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The whole question and the poll is somewhat confused by the 'Americanisation' of the question.

Chips are chips, made from potatoes and sold in the chippers, d'ya want salt & vinegar on dem?
    Crisps (Tayto/King/Walkers etc are sold in a bag in the supermarket or at the corner shop.

Burgers normally go with chips or French fries (which are not proper chips).

LordSutch wrote: »
    The whole question and the poll is somewhat confused by the 'Americanisation' of the question.

OP,
    Chips are chips, made from potatoes and sold in the chippers, d'ya want salt & vinegar on dem?
    Crisps (Tayto/King/Walkers etc are sold in a bag in the supermarket or at the corner shop.

Burgers normally go with chips or French fries (which are not proper chips).

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mickey H wrote: »
    Hardly seems worth it to be honest...

That's the point I was making :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not sure if disgusted or intrigued.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Why isn't there an option for "Chips (Chips)" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Do you know that if you just called them crisps

1. We would still know what you meant
    2. It would be faster
    3. You would not seem as big of a douchebag (wanker)

I'm ****ing American. It seems inauthentic to use terms or spelling that I wouldn't use on a daily basis. However, being aware that you all use different terms and spellings, I added what you would call them so as we are clear about what I am asking.

Seriously. This was supposed to be a light hearted thread in the spirit of the After Hour charter (chatter you'd have with a friend after a few beers).

Whats with the American term (British English translation) going on in this thread?

• Advertisement

I'm ****ing American. It seems inauthentic to use terms or spelling that I wouldn't use on a daily basis. However, being aware that you all use different terms and spellings, I added what you would call them so as we are clear about what I am asking.

Seriously. This was supposed to be a light hearted thread in the spirit of the After Hour charter (chatter you'd have with a friend after a few beers).

My Field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Sorry, on boards.ie we mostly speak English, not American.

If you move to a different country you should learn it's local language/dialect, in Ireland's case, Hiberno-English. Don't just expect the locals to speak your own language/dialect, it's rude and inconsiderate. It may be inauthentic for you but not for the local population. Say "chips" instead of "fries", "crisps" instead of "chips", "mobile" instead of "cell phone" and "footpath/pavement" instead of "sidewalk". Also spell "realise" instead of "realize", "organise" instead of "organize" and "doughnut" instead of "donut", etc... Additionally, don't forget to use degrees Celsius instead of degrees Fahrenheit.

Skid wrote: »
    It's bad enough people calling Crisps 'taytos', what is this about calling them Chips? Not in this hemisphere :mad:

Ireland is actually in the Western Hemisphere too. So is most of Britain west of the Prime Meridian.

/exits

If you move to a different country you should learn it's local language/dialect, in Ireland's case, Hiberno-English. Don't just expect the locals to speak your own language/dialect, it's rude and inconsiderate. It may be inauthentic for you but not for the local population. Say "chips" instead of "fries", "crisps" instead of "chips", "mobile" instead of "cell phone" and "footpath/pavement" instead of "sidewalk". Also spell "realise" instead of "realize", "organise" instead of "organize" and "doughnut" instead of "donut", etc... Additionally, don't forget to use degrees Celsius instead of degrees Fahrenheit.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's a fair point. The fact you felt the need to put the Irish terms in brackets afterwards shows you knew it would cause confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Firstly my answer. Burger and Chips please!

If you are posting on an Irish forum you are better off using the terms familiar to the Irish. I'm in America now, I use fahrenheit, miles and tell the time in American speak, if I did it the Irish way nobody would understand.

Also on this for what it's worth, I never realized that there are chips in America. Chips like at home. French Fries are thin, chips are like steak cut chips. You can get Fish and Chips here. The people I work with have referred to steak cut chips as chips. I would think that's probably right too, I'd call what you get in Supermacs chips but what you'd get in McDonalds as Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It makes sense now. TBH it never was an option to have crisps with a burger here, it does not sound right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A Yank?

Welcome, welcome, spend lots of money and then off with ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ireland is actually in the Western Hemisphere too. So is most of Britain west of the Prime Meridian.

/exits

The good people of Britain also know the difference betwen chips and crisps.

Obviously I meant America :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't like burgers, either be crisps, chips or salad for me!

It's a fair point. The fact you felt the need to put the Irish terms in brackets afterwards shows you knew it would cause confusion.

Which is why I added the brackets behind the words, to avoid confusion. My argument was about eating chips or fries with a burger, it wasn't about eating chips and crisps. Since I was posting in another thread, I thought: "self, why not bring the discussion to AH? They seem down for that sort of thing." Instead, I am now defending word choices.

Even when I lived in Ireland, things were still downtown, vacuums, sidewalks, cookies, and fries to me; their Anglo-Irish equivalent didn't pop into my head because I didn't know their names. I didn't force anyone to adopt my spelling or my word choice in this thread, which is why I provided the words in brackets.

It makes sense now. TBH it never was an option to have crisps with a burger here, it does not sound right

Hmm... maybe I should have done a poll on sandwiches in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

And Burgers and Chips every time. The ones you get from a Chipper, obviously.

/exits

The Western hemisphere is an American expression.
    In this part of a world we have a Northern and a Southern hemisphere......because you know there is a straight line that divides them.....

Advertisement