Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home care package

Options
  • 08-09-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭

on friday last i had an appointment with the pain doctor, who said that no operations or injections could help me, he told me to go home and live as best i could, that one of his staff would send me a home care package, what does this consist of, also how long have i to wait for its arrival.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

This may have been what the GP was referring to:

Citizens Information - Home Care Packages
    What does the Home Care Package scheme consist of?
    Each support package is tailored to your individual needs. Broadly speaking, they may include the services of nurses, home care attendants, home helps and the various therapies including physiotherapy services and occupational therapy services. Your individual package will vary according to your medical condition and the level of care required. For example, there might be a greater emphasis in some packages on home care assistants while other packages may require a greater level of therapy and nursing, depending on individual need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

hi, thanks for your help, it was the head of the pain relif clinic at the hospital, not my gp who sais this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

why did you leave and not ask what it was??

kinda shocked, i am fighting cancer as well as well as its assorted baggage, both are seperate issues, so being told to feck off home and manage as best i could, was not what i expected to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You should get back on to the Pain consultant's office/secretary and explain that you were in shock when you left and could she clarify what is meant by a home care package. Most consultants secretaries are extremely helpful and if they can't answer the question themselves will put you on to someone who can.

You could also go and see your GP and ask them what was meant by this. If they don't know, they will be able to find out.

Best of luck with it. You have a lot on your plate.

• Advertisement

thanks for your help everybody, i was with my gp today, i asked him what was intailed, home help, possibly a carer, he said, but he told me i had not a hope in hell of getting anything as they, i assume the hse were not issueing anything to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭apache

thats bloody awful flutered. i'm so sorry to hear. if it was the head of pain relief i suppose theres little point getting a second opinion?

there has to be something that can be done to ease your pain and make you more comfortable. i'm sure you've tried loads of different meds. sick of them at this stage i'd say. do opiate based ones not help at all?

if i was you i'd try and arrange another appointment to go back and speak with him and ask more questions. i find it useful writing out stuff you need information on so you don't forget anything. no wonder you were shocked and didn't get a chance to question anything if you were told to go home with nothing that can be done. is there a chance you can go back and explain your concerns. there has to be pain relief for your condition to make you comfortable. its medically ethical.

hope things work out. you have enough to be dealing with without this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Anybody try one of these, some people find them very good for back pain apparently.

Advertisement