Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BFP ~ 1st Doctor Visit

Options
  • 08-09-2012 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I got my BFP on Mon and am still a little shocked! Going to the doctor on Thurs to confirm ~ I'm a little nervous about what will happen. Do I need to bring anything? Will I be examined or just answer questions? Do I pay for first visit and the rest is free or how does it work? Thanks ladies ~ all advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Congratulations!!

The gp will do another test to confirm the pregnancy and there won't be an internal examination (in fact on my first child my first internal was when I went into labour!)

They'll ask a few questions and which hos you want to go to and answer any questions you have.

I believe the first visit is free too (from memory) but I'm open to correction.

They then give you the letter of referral for the hospital & also a little appointment card so that the hospital and the doc are singing from the same hymn sheet if you're doing combined care.

Enjoy the ride!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I had up pay for my first gp visit as the shared care papers gadng been completed at that time. Id imagine its to your docs discretion whether they charge you for the first visit or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

Thanks for the advice ladies ~ I'm a little nervous but I'm sure all will go well!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

Congratulations! I had to pay for my first visit and then everything has been free since. My gp didn't do another test or examination, she said that the home tests are better than what they have so if that was positive then there was no need for another test. After that we were just chatting about dos and don'ts, filled in forms and then I just waited for the hospital appointment to be sent out. I wasn't given any appointment card or referral letter - they dealt directly with the hospital. As I'm in Cork, I didn't have a choice of hospitals to discuss.

Advertisement