Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Nationality

• 08-09-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and just can't get my head round it.

Why are people so eager to change their nationality, and why is it even allowed?

A good friend of mine is from Romania, he's been living here 10yrs and earlier this year he became an Irish Citizen, i still class him as Romanian and always will.

On The Late Late Show last night were 4 Nigerian Ladies who have been living in Galway for 10yrs, last week they all became Irish Citizens.

Surely citizenship is 1 thing that should remain the same from the day you're born to the day you die.

I'm Welsh, been living here for 7yrs and would never dream of desserting my nationality because something better came along.

If you're born in a country then that country is your nationality.

What happens, say 10yrs in the future, if Ireland is already more fcuked than it is now, we've defaulted countless times on the debt, been thrown out of the euro and unemployment is hitting 40%, Will these 'New' Citizens jump ship and move along to the next up and coming country??

What are your views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

"I'm American, but I'm Irish because my great great great grandparents were from Ireland" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

benefits to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Preaching to the choir with me on this one, bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Because it entitled them to a goodie bag of social services and a ticket for their family to come on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

But that's gaining citizenship, not changing nationality?

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot change your nationality!

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »

On The Late Late Show last night were 4 Nigerian Ladies who have been living in Galway for 10yrs, last week they all became Irish Citizens.

Did the lanky string of piss, Ryan Tubridy, ask them why they wanted to become Irish citizens or how they ended up here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Given that you have no choice as to where you're born it seems a bit unfair to be stuck with the country you were born in.

Especially if you're Welsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IrishAm wrote: »
    Did the lanky string of piss, Ryan Tubridy, ask them why they wanted to become Irish citizens or how they ended up here?

Yeah, he did, answer "We came to see The Guinness Factory"!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What about dual nationality/citizenship then OP? Maybe some of these people have claimed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I would assume people want citizenship of the country they live in to access the services their taxes have helped pay for.

They might also want to be able to vote to influence the policies of politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and just can't get my head round it.

Why are people so eager to change their nationality, and why is it even allowed?

A good friend of mine is from Romania, he's been living here 10yrs and earlier this year he became an Irish Citizen, i still class him as Romanian and always will.

Surely citizenship is 1 thing that should remain the same from the day you're born to the day you die.

I'm Welsh, been living here for 7yrs and would never dream of desserting my nationality because something better came along.

What happens, say 10yrs in the future, if Ireland is already more fcuked than it is now, we've defaulted countless times on the debt, been thrown out of the euro and unemployment is hitting 40%, Will these 'New' Citizens jump ship and move along to the next up and coming country??

What are your views?
    My view is that your thinking is a wonderful expression of parochial smallmindedness. Indeed few published observations on ignorance and coloninial mindset such as yours have ever been made public, you sir, in a a sentence, are a stunning example of why the welsh should never be trusted with either autonomy or independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I am a citizen of the world. Not to mention for Somethings u need to be a citizen . Or well for me I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mis-leading thread title. Citizenship is not the same as Nationality.

Look it up.

cml387 wrote: »
    Given that you have no choice as to where you're born it seems a bit unfair to be stuck with the country you were born in.

Yeah I'm Welsh, and i'll stay Welsh, that's what i was born as and that's what i'll die as, be it unfair or not. But no way in hell am i gonna go to another country and choose to become one of there citizens just because it's a bit better than Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Citizenship is a legal status in a political institution such as a city or a state. The relationship between a citizen and the institution that confers this status is formal, and in contemporary liberal-democratic models includes both a set of rights that the citizen possesses by virtue of this relationship, and a set of obligations or duties that they owe to that institution and their fellow citizens in return.
    Nationality, on the other hand, denotes informal membership in or identification with a particular nation (which is not a synonym for country or state).[1] While nationality is sometimes conferred as a legal status (see below), it and nations are properly understood as social categories, characterised by at least a common language, culture and territory, and sometimes also by a common religious faith and a purportedly shared ancestry.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=difference%20between%20citizenship%20and%20nationality%20&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWikipedia%3ACitizenship_and_nationality&ei=ObdLULiuK4aFhQeh-oCQCw&usg=AFQjCNFwvRagEDFHcVxQgq8Ol_20cKIdJw

Might help.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    My view is that your thinking is a wonderful expression of parochial smallmindedness. Indeed few published observations on ignorance and coloninial mindset such as yours have ever been made public, you sir, in a a sentence, are a stunning example of why the welsh should never be trusted with either autonomy or independence.

I was merely asking why people would ditch there own nationality just because something better has come along, get over it

Yeah, he did, answer "We came to see The Guinness Factory"!!!!

Il have a look at it on the RTE player. How far in approx?

Yeah I'm Welsh, and i'll stay Welsh, that's what i was born as and that's what i'll die as, be it unfair or not. But no way in hell am i gonna go to another country and choose to become one of there citizens just because it's a bit better than Wales.

Thats great. As a welshman you can probably stay here as long as you like unless Irelands relationship with Great Britain changes significantly. The chances of you being deported are unlikely. The chances of you being deported increase substantially if you are say Romanian or Nigerian.

Also, nationality and citizenship are different things. You can be Romanian and have Irish citizenship but still be called Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Preaching to the choir with me on this one, bud.

Me too. I'm married to a Dutch guy, living in dutchland, and I'd NEVER give up my Irish Passport. Wny would I want to? Although it's kinda different, I'm an EU citizen living in another EU country. There are benefits to giving up an outside EU nationality to get that wine coloured document!

I was merely asking why people would ditch there own nationality just because something better has come along, get over it

I've always like Men Of Harlech as a tune mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Absolute utter bollox. Thats one of the most small minded comments you can get, so simple yet nationality is not so straight forward as that.

I'm sorry but somebody born abroad and left there when they were 1, does not constitute as "their" nationality.

Are Ronan O'Gara and Jamie Heaslip American and Israeli respectively and not Irish? Please answer I would be interested to hear your opinion on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i wish i was born in Germany

There's a guy i work with, He's from Pakistan, he married a Latvian woman 4yrs ago and has been in Ireland ever since, he doesn't live with her, yet has just applied for Irish Citizenship!!! All because he married an EU member!

There's a guy i work with, He's from Pakistan, he married a Latvian woman 4yrs ago and has been in Ireland ever since, he doesn't live with her, yet has just applied for Irish Citizenship!!! All because he married an EU member!

I'm sorry old bean we're beginning to see a trend here.

After 5 years in Ireland you can apply for Irish Citizenship.

Please learn the difference between citizenship and nationality. You're starting to make yourself look silly.

Il have a look at it on the RTE player. How far in approx?

1hr 3mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Sham marriage,thousands of them in the last 10yrs.

Absolute utter bollox. Thats one of the most small minded comments you can get, so simple yet nationality is not so straight forward as that.

I'm sorry but somebody born abroad and left there when they were 1, does not constitute as "their" nationality.

Are Ronan O'Gara and Jamie Heaslip American and Israeli respectively and not Irish? Please answer I would be interested to hear your opinion on this.

Are there parents Irish? Sure they could get away with being classed as Irish then

Sure they could get away with being classed as Irish then

I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i was born and reared in canada. i've lived in ireland for 14 years. i've had irish citizenship for the last ten years. i hold dual citizenship, but i'll always consider myself canadian. it's easier to have dual citizenship, than to just keep remaining here as a permanent resident, renewing those stamps every year.

i was born and reared in canada. i've lived in ireland for 14 years. i've had irish citizenship for the last ten years. i hold dual citizenship, but i'll always consider myself canadian. it's easier to have dual citizenship, than to just keep remaining here as a permanent resident, renewing those stamps every year.

But what's the problem with spending a few hours every year renewing your visa/stamp? Surely it would cut down on all sorts of fraud (Not in any way insinuating you're involved in any fraud)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

In fairness someone would only become a citizen in a country when it would benefit them to become one.

I certainly wouldn't be applying for citizenship in the likes of Nigeria, no matter how long I was living there!

But what's the problem with spending a few hours every year renewing your visa/stamp? Surely it would cut down on all sorts of fraud (Not in any way insinuating you're involved in any fraud)

well i cannot speak for the motives for others, but in my own case -- i was working here full time paying taxes, my husband is irish, and i live here permanently.... so why not? if he wants to go and get canadian citizenship, i've no problem with that. not everyone is out to sponge off a country.

but your OP is about nationality, and i stated that i do have dual citizenship, but my nationality is canadian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

"I'm American, but I'm Irish because my great great great grandparents were from Ireland" :rolleyes:

Very disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The obvious answer being that someone who has lived and worked in this country for years has earned the right to play a full role in society. That is, avail of all the duties, responsibilities and, yes, benefits of citizenship

This is not the same as nationality, which is rather more nebulous concept. As plenty of others here have pointed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Are there parents Irish? Sure they could get away with being classed as Irish then

Well this is where it gets complicated, my parents are Irish as well but I didn't move till I was 14, meaning I still speak with an English accent, therefore probably classified as English by most people.

In hindsight, as sad as it sounds, your nationality is really determined by what accent you speak with by most people rather than birth.

also, just want to add -- i would like to think that anyone who takes up citizenship of another country, is not someone who will "jump ship". it's a fairly serious thing, in my book, to take on citizenship of another country. perhaps it's people on temp visas and the like, who are ones who will "jump ship". (i've heard the term 'economic migrants' being used for those)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

i wish i was born in Germany

Ich bin ein Berliner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What passport do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

jessiejam wrote: »
    In fairness someone would only become a citizen in a country when it would benefit them to become one.
    Euh NO!!

Im belgian, lived there till i was 16. Spent the next 17yrs in ireland (still here btw). I went to college here.
    Ive Been working and paying tax for last 10yrs. Ive an irish wife and son...

Im looking at what i cN do to get citizenship because i want to be an irish citizen judt like my wife and son, end of!!

Why do people assume its all about sham marriages and benefits chests?

Maybe, just maybe some of us are proud to be irish(by proxy)

• Advertisement

So why were these ladies on the show last night saying they were now so proud to be Irish???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Not this again. Dey r tekkin our jobss............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

keith16 wrote: »
    Not this again. Dey r tekkin our jobss............
    Not to forget carz, women, houses, spots on the soccer, football, hurling and rugby teams, places in schools and colleges, taking up hospital bed ...

How dare we :)

Heard 'em all before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I grew from a single cabbage seed in a pot inside the German embassy, so I was 'technically' born in Germany, but my cabbage leaves touched Irish soil first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So what? He's here four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

In hindsight, as sad as it sounds, your nationality is really determined by what accent you speak with by most people rather than birth.
    Accent is as good a shorthand as any and better than most. Where people live during their formative years is pretty important and the experiences gained here obviously play a role in developing how they see the world

But then the whole issue of national identity is hugely complex. What is important to state though is that people shouldn't be put in boxes. Why be Irish or English? It's perfectly possible to be a mix of both, to carry elements of both and Irish and English upbringing with you. Arguably that's inevitable
    scudzilla wrote:
    So why were these ladies on the show last night saying they were now so proud to be Irish???
    Maybe because they're now able to participate as legal equals in the country that they've spent the last decade living in?

Are you so conditioned by talk of 'welfare cheats' and the like that you're unable to comprehend how people might actually be proud to live in Ireland and to be an Irish citizen? That being able to play a full and unrestricted role in Irish society, in which they have technically been aliens for a decade, might be considered a Good Thing?

Madam_X wrote: »
    So what? He's here four years.

So, because hes here four years, due him being married to a Latvian, we should give him Irish citizenship?

Do you value Irish citizenship at all at all at all, lads?

Should we give it out with ten Tayto wrappers ,twenty euro handling fee, and E4.95 postage and packaging?

Reekwind wrote: »

Are you so conditioned by talk of 'welfare cheats' and the like that you're unable to comprehend how people might actually be proud to live in Ireland and to be an Irish citizen? That being able to play a full and unrestricted role in Irish society, in which they have technically been aliens for a decade, might be considered a Good Thing?

Watch the clip the Welsh lad is alluding to. These ladies gave birth to Irish born children and evidently, got leave to remain due to that fact. When Tubridy asked them why they came here, they claimed that they wanted to see the Guinness Factory in the flesh.:rolleyes:

Of course Tubridy failed to press her on such a ludicrous answer.

Bollix of the highest order.

Former asylum seekers, who gave birth here before the IBC loophole was closed up by referendum, got leave to remain to bring up their "Irish" children and eventually gaining citizenship thanks to Justice minister Shatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

cml387 wrote: »

Fortunately for us Brits, the Irish and British governments have a reciprocal agreement where citizens of our two countries have more or less the same rights wherever we live. It isn't the same for Romanians Nigerians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Probably just cheaper in the long run since visas/stamps/time costs money if you're non eu. Most are forgetting there's a fee to becoming a citizen, roughly 1k plus time and large amounts paperwork, lawyers etc. I've dual citizenship myself, less hassle entering a country as its citizen and more convenient having 2 since some countries have better links between them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement