Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Nationality

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ehhh? Are you actually reading this thread or just typing crap? IrishAm has not once said he's Welsh!!

Sorry on iPhone made a mistake my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

keith16 wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Shatter.

Stop giving the bleedin' fordieners citizenship. There's not enuf fur all of us. Stop it.

Hey, since you are Jewish, you would like their policy where they don't give citizenship to de fordieners. Izrael is the bleedin same as us. Israel for Israelis only, ya know what I mean Mr. Shatter?

Kind Regards,

Fúckin Damo

Oh, look. Trying to make fun of us Dubs and our accents. How cute.

I note that you are living in Dublin. May I suggest that you go to your nearest public house and take the p*ss out of a few Dubs by mimicking their accents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

IrishAm wrote: »
    Ninety per cent of asylum seekers in Ireland are bogus.
    You always trot this one out, but what does it have to do with the new citizens mentioned in the OP?

I am Irish and an indigenous European.

I've only been to Wales once.:confused:

My bad am tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Sappa wrote: »
    Because it entitled them to a goodie bag of social services and a ticket for their family to come on board.

That sounds so racist!. I dont know why you arent banned by Moderator!

I suppose millions of Irish living in America that became American citizens do the same?

Say no to racism!. Without other countries, Ireland will still be begging for food at this point. Ireland cant also survive without import nd export from other countries!. Stop being racist!

• Advertisement

If you have read any of my other posts you will see I agree that a huge number of Asylum application are bogus, you will all see I have repeatedly called for serious reform in this area. I also think its a total shame that liars are rewarded by this state who then take years to decided to deport and then let people sit here for further years before trying to actually deporting. That is unfair to genuine asylum seekers and to this state, but unlike you I have actually said thisto TD'. A system could be put in place that could decide Asylum in most cases a matter of months and have bogus asylum seekers back home within one year of arriving. This would save millions. In any case asylum applications have fallen from 12000 a year to less than 2000 and still falling.

The first Minister for Integration was a local TD in my area. The next and last, was from the ward beside.

I've written, emailed and spoke in person with them about my concerns. As did many others in the community. Fat lot of good it did.

Both are now ex members of the Dail. Quelle surprise.

I hope the same can be said of Shatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Oh, look. Trying to make fun of us Dubs and our accents. How cute.

I note that you are living in Dublin. May I suggest that you go to your nearest public house and take the p*ss out of a few Dubs by mimicking their accents?

oh I do don't worry, says mister "us Dubs are subsidising the exchequer":rolleyes:

EDIT: I apologise for taking the piss. Could you please address my earlier point? Why should non citizens pay tax on their income?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You always trot this one out, but what does it have to do with the new citizens mentioned in the OP?

Because the government did not have the backbone to send them packing and now many thousands of them are getting Irish citizenship bestowed on them.

That's why.

Because the government did not have the backbone to send them packing and now many thousands of them are getting Irish citizenship bestowed on them.

That's why.
    If you can provide us with the figures of exactly how many of these new citizens were actually bogus asylum seekers, that'd be great.

Thanks.

That's why.

Hey, just to let you know. I will be getting my citizenship shortly! .. I hope you live to see it ;)

• Advertisement

The first Minister for Integration was a local TD in my area. The next and last, was from the ward beside.

I've written, emailed and spoke in person with them about my concerns. As did many others in the community. Fat lot of good it did.

Both are now ex members of the Dail. Quelle surprise.

I hope the same can be said of Shatter.

I think shatter is doing a better job which is not hard. I believe he is trying to clear out all the backlog of cases. Then deal with new cases quickly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's why.

Time spent as an asylum seeker doesn't count when applying for citizenship by naturalisation.

That's why.

You can only get citizenship if legal an illegal of whatever type cannot get citizenship.

Hey did you know that Guinness Brewery Company make more money in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world? Nigerian money helps fund Irish state and its people

Hey did you know that Guinness Brewery Company make more money in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world? Nigerian money helps fund Irish state and its people

Ya if I remember correctly the largest Guinness Brewery in the World is in Nigeria.

Yeah I'm Welsh, and i'll stay Welsh, that's what i was born as and that's what i'll die as, be it unfair or not. But no way in hell am i gonna go to another country and choose to become one of there citizens just because it's a bit better than Wales.

Moderator please ban this guy!.. Racists like him dont belong here.

Xenophobic maybe but racist I doubt.

Time spent as an asylum seeker doesn't count when applying for citizenship by naturalisation.

I know that. But only a small percentage of asylum seekers are deported. According to the DoJ ,90 per cent are bogus,yet they are given leave to remain for arbitrary reasons and evidently, eventually gain citizenship.

Like the four ladies on the Late Late last night.

Ya if I remember correctly the largest Guinness Brewery in the World is in Nigeria.

People like scudzilla fail to realise that Ireland can never ever ever, succeeded without other countries. All their borrowings are from other countries!. all their exports and imports are from other countries!..

If it wasnt for other countries, Ireland will still be in great famine as of now

michelleling, if you have a problem with a post, please use the report post button (little red and white triangle with an exclamation mark inside it) and a mod will look at it - don't derail the thread with posts like that.

Thanks.

/mod

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Me too. I'm married to a Dutch guy, living in dutchland, and I'd NEVER give up my Irish Passport. Wny would I want to? Although it's kinda different, I'm an EU citizen living in another EU country. There are benefits to giving up an outside EU nationality to get that wine coloured document!

You can have Dutch passport and Irish Passport if you want. Is just that it is similar cos its the same EU states. People from non eu and america however would wanna have Irish or Dutch passport to move freely without embassy issues. You ve been to the embassy b4? applying for visa? very very stressful!

I know that. But only a small percentage of asylum seekers are deported. According to the DoJ ,90 per cent are bogus,yet they are given leave to remain for arbitrary reasons and evidently, eventually gain citizenship.

Again, please provide proof that the four ladies on the Late Late last night were bogus asylum seekers.

michelleling, if you have a problem with a post, please use the report post button (little red and white triangle with an exclamation mark inside it) and a mod will look at it - don't derail the thread with posts like that.

Thanks.

/mod

Ok thanks. Got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Migration is awesome. Expands diversity, brings new food, and adds to the community.

I believe the 4 ladies are here under IBC05 no longer available after constitutional amenfment. The only other avenues after asylum is refused are subsidiary protection or humanitarian leave to remain. Our Asylum law is very strict so a person from say Syria may not qualify for Asylum as they can't show a ground under the UN convention. But they may qualify under subsidiary protection as the place is a war zone. Stupidly Ireland insist that a person apply for asylum even if they don't believe they qualify but do qualify for subsidiary protection. Humanitarian leave is the last chance salon before deportation order may cover anything really where the minister thinks is just to leave the person stay it pretty rare in my experience to get that.

So the above are not really arbitrary and in fact supsidary protection is EU law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Reekwind wrote: »
    djflawless wrote: »
    Was thinking of moving to poland or 1 or those european countrys to becoming a resident, then riding social welfare here for everything 'foreign nationals' are entitled to...foolproof the last 6-10 years
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I'm sure the Poles are smart enough not to generalise that all Irish are freeloading wasters on the basis of your one example

But hey, it looks like we've arrived at the point where everyone gives up the pretence of talking about citizenship/national identity and starts railing against supposed illegal immigrants or freeloaders. Dey tuk ma job!

I would be perfectly happy to work at what im good at
    but anywhere i apply for work, it sems to be that "the foreign fella from out the road" can do the same job for half min wage...he gets some kind of benefits aswel as what he gets for working because he "doesnt understand our system"....
    Make sense?me not it doesnt

djflawless wrote: »
    I would be perfectly happy to work at what im good at
    but anywhere i apply for work, it sems to be that "the foreign fella from out the road" can do the same job for half min wage...he gets some kind of benefits aswel as what he gets for working because he "doesnt understand our system"....
    Make sense?me not it doesnt

Then if you are aware of such things happening you should inform NERA and the Sicial Welfare. Only way to stop rave to the bottom in wages.

Again, please provide proof that the four ladies on the Late Late last night were bogus asylum seekers.

IrishAm, its time to provide proof that the four ladies on the Late Late last night were bogus asylum seekers like the moderator asks or you may face ban. Stop stereotyping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Because it entitled them to a goodie bag of social services and a ticket for their family to come on board.

That sounds so racist!. I dont know why you arent banned by Moderator!

I suppose millions of Irish living in America that became American citizens do the same?

Say no to racism!. Without other countries, Ireland will still be begging for food at this point. Ireland cant also survive without import nd export from other countries!. Stop being racist!
    Sounds like the truth, not racism
    how many foreign nationals livingg or claiming in ireland?surely going to be a LARGE sum of money towards a deep hole we shouldnt be in????

• Advertisement

There's a guy i work with, He's from Pakistan, he married a Latvian woman 4yrs ago and has been in Ireland ever since, he doesn't live with her, yet has just applied for Irish Citizenship!!! All because he married an EU member!

That she doesnt live with him does not simply mean that she is not his wife and vice versa.

Citizenship is an honour and not an entitlement. Not because you are married to EU citizen will give you a citizenship.

Stop worrying about people that are working so hard in this country and wanting to obtain citizenship. worry about Irish government and their people, jobs, recession etc.

IrishAm, its time to provide proof that the four ladies on the Late Late last night were bogus asylum seekers like the moderator asks or you may face ban. Stop stereotyping
    michelling, please don't back seat mod.

/mod

Diageo is a corporation, the Irish people do not own it or benefit from their profits.

Anyway, 40 per cent of Nigerian adults in the state are unemployed(census 2011). Another large swathe of them are on BTEA or state funded courses. A minority of you work.

And, on a per capita basis, Nigerians are the highest proportion of people in receipt of rent allowance.

Your comments about the famine are beneath contempt,

Diageo is a corporation, the Irish people do not own it or benefit from their profits.

Anyway, 40 per cent of Nigerian adults in the state are unemployed(census 2011). Another large swathe of them are on BTEA or state funded courses. A minority of you work.

And, on a per capita basis, Nigerians are the highest proportion of people in receipt of rent allowance.

Can you post links to that information.

See, thats my point. You mentioned about Nigerians, what about Irish? Polish? UK? Nigerians can have the highest proportion of people in receipt of rent allowance but I know for the fact that other nationalities will have the highest proportion of other s.welfare benefits, like One parents? Sounds familiar? Disability allowance, job seekers etc?

When more than a million of Irish people moved to America, all of them where unemployed at the time them moved weren't they? any comments?

I'd like to see the information too!!

• Advertisement

And while you're at it, please provide links to figures backing up the following statement:

That's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Have you got any links to any of these stats or links saying the 4 girls were bogus asylum seekers?

Bit rich coming from a guy that calls a german neo-nazi gang "Patriots"

Sham marriage,thousands of them in the last 10yrs.

Sham marriage hardly gives you citizenship as you have to be living with you wife for 3/5 years and b4 citizenship application make a statutory declaration with you wife!

There are also so many things that will be put into account b4 considered. I am a foreign national, I know sham marriage exists to few people, but note this. You can never get a citizenship by it and their so called wives will go back to their country of origin after marriage which citizenship process never accepts!

Also marriage never gives you an entitlements to Citizenship. Unlike Irish, if you were arrested for public order, drink drive, fight, road traffic. then say bye bye to citizenship. Plus you will never been on social welfare benefits!

Would be Irish citizens are like saints in my eyes!.. The are called the good citizens!

39 per cent, my bad.

Amongst non-Irish nationals, Nigerians had the highest unemployment rate at 39% (down from 45% in 2006) while nationals from the Nordic countries had the lowest rates.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0726/unemployment-rate-of-39-among-15-24-cso-business.html

The people who come second in the rent-allowance league table are the Nigerians -- barely less than the British, with 3,024 claimants. But whereas the British figure constitutes just 2.7pc of the total population of Britons living here, the figure for Nigerians is 18.6pc of their total Irish population of 16,300. Alas, just how many more Nigerian dependents are the beneficiaries of the rent allowances that are being granted to the 3,024 family-heads, I cannot say.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

You want to become an Irish citizen, Michelleling or whatever, yet you slag off the famine. Bad form. I understand that I may have irked you, so I suggest you apologise for that comment. Call me a taig, paddy, mick, jackeen, bogwog, spoon burner or what have you and I shall laugh it off.

But the famine is a no go.

39 per cent, my bad.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0726/unemployment-rate-of-39-among-15-24-cso-business.html

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/risible-lies-about-immigrants-no-substitute-for-honest-debate-1456226.html

You want to become an Irish citizen, Michelleling or whatever, yet you slag off the famine. Bad form. I understand that I may have irked you, so I suggest you apologise for that comment. Call me a taig, paddy, mick, jackeen, bogwog, spoon burner or what have you and I shall laugh it off.

Whats a spoon burner?

• Advertisement

39 per cent, my bad.

What I stated was nothing but a fact. Ireland has been in great depression in da past with so so many people dying of starvation as stated by my Irish Spouse!.. They have to move to America cos of starvation and poverty..

Millions of them moved! and many aquired American citizenship. FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

You can have Dutch passport and Irish Passport if you want. Is just that it is similar cos its the same EU states. People from non eu and america however would wanna have Irish or Dutch passport to move freely without embassy issues. You ve been to the embassy b4? applying for visa? very very stressful!

Not so, the Netherlands doesn't allow dual citizenship.

keith16 wrote: »
    oh I do don't worry, says mister "us Dubs are subsidising the exchequer":rolleyes:

Chill, man. Don't take this so personally. I note that you have been snoopin' through my previous posts!

At the end of the day we are only pixels on each others screen. If we ran into each other in a bar tomorrow during Sunday lunch, we would share a few pleasantries and move on.

Its only a chat, not the world council. Nada will change due to discussion on here.

Not so, the Netherlands doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Well thats the difference innit. Some countries like Germany does not allow Dual citizenship, but I dont see how countries like Ireland that does allow one should not be obtained by people that needs it for the best reasons.

Although their might be some exceptions tho. I will check that out and get back to you later. Some countries that does not allow dual citizenship still grants it if you are married to their citizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well thats the difference innit. Some countries like Germany does not allow Dual citizenship, but I dont see how countries like Ireland that does allow one should not be obtained by people that needs it for the best reasons.

Although their might be some exceptions tho. I will check that out and get back to you later. Some countries that does not allow dual citizenship still grants it if you are married to their citizen

And what reasons would you class 'Best Reasons'?

Whats a spoon burner?

Never heard it before, until a moment of genius from a Cork fan before a Dub-Cork game in Croker.

Throwing abuse at three Cork lads who were going the game. Anyway, they paid their bill when two of us were outside having a quick smoke. The youngest of them turns around to us and screams "**** ye Dubbalin coonts, you pack of spoon burners."

Took about thirty seconds to register. Spoon burners - junkies. I p*ssed myself laughing from the Red Cow to the Luas.

What I stated was nothing but a fact. Ireland has been in great depression in da past with so so many people dying of starvation as stated by my Irish Spouse!.. They have to move to America cos of starvation and poverty..

Millions of them moved! and many aquired American citizenship. FACT!

There are many a reason why Irish people moved to the New World. If you want to compare Irish emigration to the New World, with mass third world immigration into Ireland, please set up a thread.

Please do. :cool:

And what reasons would you class 'Best Reasons'?

People living and working here would like to travel freely to other EU member states just like you!..

Have you been to an embassy b4? Its a mess, lots of paper works and very stressful. For that alone is sufficient for people to become Irish citizens.

People would like to vote!.. Its very bad to deprive people of that!

Most people have families here and children born here as an Irish citizens!. here is now their home!

People would like to become Gardai? work in some government and European office? Work as a Census emulator, become a Soldier and any posts in it. etc etc etc

It can take me all night!.. See its not all about the S. welfare!

Innit? You don't live in London, my Naija friend.

I would much rather our diaspora claim citizenship. After all, they are part Irish and will strive to further our nation. No need to spend hundreds of millions integrating them.

According to this thread, you lot seem to obtain it to avoid visa problems.

Not exactly the loyalist of people. "I am an Irish now", indeed.

No retraction from the famine slurs, I note.

Absolutely splendid.

There are many a reason why Irish people moved to the New World. If you want to compare Irish emigration to the New World, with mass third world immigration into Ireland, please set up a thread.

Please do. :cool:

You are trolling now. I just answered you question!..
    Besides, if any body needs an apology it should be me!.. You really insulted immigrants!. You have no respect for us!.. Like I said, strip the emigration whatever. If it wasnt for other countries Ireland will still be a very poor country! Fact.

After the joining of EU was when funding and lending starts coming in from other countries. Besides Import and Export will never exist!..

Apologies to me, cos ignorant people like you dont know much at all!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement