Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Nationality

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

IrishAm wrote: »
    Chill, man. Don't take this so personally. I note that you have been snoopin' through my previous posts!

At the end of the day we are only pixels on each others screen. If we ran into each other in a bar tomorrow during Sunday lunch, we would share a few pleasantries and move on.

Its only a chat, not the world council. Nada will change due to discussion on here.

Yet you still refuse to address my point. And no, I haven't been snooping through your posts.

I remember that particular comment from the Mayo / Dublin match thread. I and several other posters asked you to explain that comment and you also remained silent.

I suspect that if Ireland rid itself of all "bogus asylum seekers" you still wouldn't be happy. You'd want all "culchies" out of Dublin.

I'm not in the habit of exchanging pleasantries with insular folk such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

It can take me all night!.. See its not all about the S. welfare!

And you also thought Diageo was owned by the Irish government and all it profits were privatised.

The vast majority of your people, Nigerians, are in receipt of Irish state funds. That's a fact.

It is one you cannot deny and if you were more gracious, maybe I could let it slide. Instead, you mock our famine dead. Even though you claim to be in the process of obtaining Irish citizenship.

Can you not see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

Innit? You don't live in London, my Naija friend.

I would much rather our diaspora claim citizenship. After all, they are part Irish and will strive to further our nation. No need to spend hundreds of millions integrating them.

According to this thread, you lot seem to obtain it to avoid visa problems.

Not exactly the loyalist of people. "I am an Irish now", indeed.

No retraction from the famine slurs, I note.

Absolutely splendid.

According ton this thread, I have explain other reasons people need citizenship rather than just Visa problem!.. Please read carefully!

"No need to spend hundreds of millions integrating them". So you are saying that millions of Irish that emigrated to the states needed billions of dollars for integration? Did America really spent that much on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Have you been to an embassy b4? Its a mess, lots of paper works and very stressful. For that alone is sufficient for people to become Irish citizens.

!

At least you have partly answered my question in the OP, but if a person decides to give up their citizenship/nationality just to help get rid of some paperwork and stress then i find that very very sad indeed, and totally against what the whole process if there for

And you also thought Diageo was owned by the Irish government and all it profits were privatised.

The vast majority of your people, Nigerians, are in receipt of Irish state funds. That's a fact.

It is one you cannot deny and if you were more gracious, maybe I could let it slide. Instead, you mock our famine dead. Even though you claim to be in the process of obtaining Irish citizenship.

Can you not see this?

Call me a Nigerian again without proof and you'll be reported!.. You stereotypical, prejudice person

keith16 wrote: »

I suspect that if Ireland rid itself of all "bogus asylum seekers" you still wouldn't be happy. You'd want all "culchies" out of Dublin.

I'm not in the habit of exchanging pleasantries with insular folk such as yourself.

I am far from insular, mon amie. Believe you me. Ive lived abroad and was married to a foreign national(EU).

You made slurs on me, due to the fact that I am a Dub. Because I disagreed with you. Shows your tolerance levels. I, on the other hand, have no issue with my fellow European citizens moving to Ireland.

I would never mock someones accent.

Anyway, have you acted the man you like to portray here and slagged off a load of Dubs due to how they speak?

Or are you only a hardman online?

I am far from insular, mon amie. Believe you me. Ive lived abroad and was married to a foreign national(EU).

You made slurs on me, due to the fact that I am a Dub. Because I disagreed with you. Shows your tolerance levels. I, on the other hand, have no issue with my fellow European citizens moving to Ireland.

I would never mock someones accent.

Anyway, have you acted the man you like to portray here and slagged off a load of Dubs due to how they speak?

Or are you only a hardman online?

Go back and read my post, I apologised for taking the piss.

scudzilla wrote: »
    At least you have partly answered my question in the OP, but if a person decides to give up their citizenship/nationality just to help get rid of some paperwork and stress then i find that very very sad indeed, and totally against what the whole process if there for

Omg omg!.. Nigerians and many nationalities do not give up their citizenship/nationality when they become Irish citizens!!!!.. Should I scream!!. You really dont know anything if you dont know about this, and should leave this thread immediately!..

Nigerians and many nationals that have Irish Citizenship also have what they call a DUAL CITIZENSHIP!.. Google that and leave this thread!

Call me a Nigerian again without proof and you'll be reported!.. You stereotypical, prejudice person

Report to whom?

You are Nigerian. Any goon can see that.

Why not tell the truth and admit your nationality and be proud of it.

Your first response was in mention of Nigerians.

Next, when you claimed you were on the verge of Irish citizenship.

Ok. So where are you from?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

I'm confused...

I thought this:

There is no Willy

is what it meant by changing your nationality...

Report to whom?

You are Nigerian. Any goon can see that.

Why not tell the truth and admit your nationality and be proud of it.

Your first response was in mention of Nigerians.

Next, when you claimed you were on the verge of Irish citizenship.

Ok. So where are you from?:rolleyes:

Firstly you've been reported. Many some action may be taking against you. maybe not.

I mentioned Nigerians cos this thread is about 4 Nigerian ladies innit?

Omg, something is really wrong with some people on this thread!.

"Next, when you claimed you were on the verge of Irish citizenship."? Not only Nigerians do acquire Irish Citizenship!.. Tens of other countries does!

Firstly you've been reported. Many some action may be taking against you. maybe not.!

Ok,famine joker. Tell me what one is reporting me for and I shall make this easy. With my name and address.

You fail to realise that you are someone like me's wet dream.

Reporting me for what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Ok, today (Sunday) i want to be Australian, Next Thursday i want to be Japanese.

Don't be so ridiculous, people's nationalities, IMO, are determined the moment they are born

I was born in Japan on an American military base. My father was American. I wasn't legally granted any form of citizenship until my parents presented proof of my birth and relations, as well as my father's proof of citizenship, to immigration officials in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA after I was old enough to travel 9 months later. Because of this, I have 2 birth certificates. I am an American national and citizen because my father was so. I never applied for Japanese citizenship. Though my mother was Japanese, neither she, nor I, nor anyone I knew considered myself a Japanese national. Nationality can be a tough question, citizenship is a legal question. It would take me several months to go through the process of becoming a Japanese citizen. I would imagine since you have likely no ties to Japan as I do that it would take you a bit longer than this Thursday would allow. It's not as simple an issue as you try to maintain.

This also explains why many Irish are so confused when Americans say, "I'm Irish". They mean a part of their nationality is of Irish descent. Not that they are Irish citizens or solely of Irish nationality. America is a huge mixing pot of hundreds of nationalities which make up the entire content of American citizens. Perhaps other Irish also are confused about the difference; this would explain a lot. In countries where a large influx of immigration occurs, nationality is often used to differentiate a person from his citizenship and his birthplace. In countries where immigration is far less common, it can mean nearly the same as citizenship.

It also explains how I can say "I'm Japanese" and yet be an American Citizen. Your Nationality is part of who you are, where you are from, along with it's traditions, and customs. Your citizenship is where you reside legally as a citizen. The two are not always interchangeable, and their meanings differ more and more the smaller this world becomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Can you not see this?

The fact that Guinness head office is in Ireland is good for Irish economy. That was my point.

The vast majority might be in receipt of Irish state funds simply because people like you would never wanna give them job cos of your prejudice and stereotype. FACT!

The most hardworking people I know, Nigerians are one of them.

I love Irish and everything about it, except people like you that my hate will die with. I am married to an Irish, and will be very proud to be Irish!

• Advertisement

Firstly you've been reported. Many some action may be taking against you. maybe not.

"Next, when you claimed you were on the verge of Irish citizenship."? Not only Nigerians do acquire Irish Citizenship!.. Tens of other countries does!

No, this thread IS NOT about 4 Nigerian ladies, this thread is asking why someone would want to give up there nationality/citizenship of the place they're from for somewhere else.

I used the 4 ladies as an example, i also used my Romanian friend as another example, it is you who is saying that this thread is solely based on Nigerians

Ok,famine joker. Tell me what one is reporting me for and I shall make this easy. With my name and address.

You fail to realise that you are someone like me's wet dream.

Reporting me for what exactly?

Still trolling about the Famine? Seems like you re quite hurt about the FACT!.. Well atleast you re little hurt compared to comments you make about immigrants!. dreadful!

Besides, I am a Citizen of the earth!.. Which means that Ireland and all the countries in the world are included :)

No, this thread IS NOT about 4 Nigerian ladies, this thread is asking why someone would want to give up there nationality/citizenship of the place they're from for somewhere else.

I used the 4 ladies as an example, i also used my Romanian friend as another example, it is you who is saying that this thread is solely based on Nigerians

When someone acquires citizenship of another country they don't renounce their original citizenship.

Reindeer wrote: »

This also explains why many Irish are so confused when Americans say, "I'm Irish". They mean a part of their nationality is of Irish descent. Not that they are Irish citizens or solely of Irish nationality.

At our nation's lowest ebb, we were forced to see millions of our own vanquish into the New World. Some survived. Many did not.

I am a firm believer in awarding the ancestors of such folk, citizenship.

I think it is morally wrong to shut the door on a member of our diaspora, just because his last direct relative was his great grandfather. Even though he or she considers them selfs an Irish person.

Still trolling about the Famine? Seems like you re quite hurt about the FACT!.. Well atleast you re little hurt compared to comments you make about immigrants!. dreadful!

Besides, I am a Citizen of the earth!.. Which means that Ireland and all the countries in the world are included :)

Like to see that one stand up in a court of law :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ha see? Per this link you are entitled to be both Dutch and Irish Citizenship because you are married to a Dutch!.. Happy married life tho ;)

I respect EU citizens and get on with them. I also respect skilled non EU migrants. You lot have nothing to do with them.

I can link to a DoJ report explaining some of the bullcrap reasons you lot have given to obtain residence in my country. Want it?

You are not an immigrant.

Still not big enough to apologise for your famine remarks, I see.

Someday it will. But will defo be when we humans discover other plants that are habitable? ofcourse you will need a passport earth which you are a citizen of!.. now back to the thread!

I am willing to be taken to a court of law by this Nigerian.

No problem.

Balls in her court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

keith16 wrote: »
    When someone acquires citizenship of another country they don't renounce their original citizenship.

That depends, citizens of China for one have to renounce Chinese citizenship as the are not allowed by the laws of china to be dual, also a number if other countries require it. The US require in their oath require forsaking etc but they kinda look the other way in reality:

The American oath on taking citizenship

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

I respect EU citizens and get on with them. I also respect skilled non EU migrants. You lot have nothing to do with them.

I can link to a DoJ report explaining some of the bullcrap reasons you lot have given to obtain residence in my country. Want it?

You are not an immigrant.

Still not big enough to apologise for your famine remarks, I see.

This is still the point that I am making!.. You are saying you lot a in Nigerians? I know many skilled Nigerian worker than I know of Irish. FACT!

Stop prejudice and stereotypical!.. DO you even know what that means?

Can you ever give a Nigerian a job? honestly speak the truth. I dont think you are cos you discriminator and stereotypical person!

Besides, if im a Nigerian, my English is not so bad is it ? ;)

The fact that Guinness head office is in Ireland is good for Irish economy. That was my point.

The vast majority might be in receipt of Irish state funds simply because people like you would never wanna give them job cos of your prejudice and stereotype. FACT!

I am on little more than the dole and I work by myself. I am not a wealthy man. Far from it.

Its not my fault your people, well, the majority, are in receipt of state funds.

You are not even in the EU. So any dude that cant pay his own way, should be deported. Simple as that. We owe you nada, zilch, fuccccck alll.

The vast majority of your people are in receipt of handouts. Thats a fact.

You made Irish famine slurs. Thats a fact.

So, why are you hoping to become an Irish citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Are you not reading this thread, I'm Welsh and would never consider giving up my nationality/citizenship for another country

Um, exactly. Whether your passport - i.e. your citizenship - is via Britain or Wales, your nationality is still Welsh. That is what people have been trying to explain to you for the last 15 pages.
    Why would we, as Europeans, care?

We are suffering with an unemployment crisis here. If you are highly skilled in a skill we are lacking, welcome. If not, sorry.

Did you actually read my post, or did you just stop at the 'non-EU citizen' part? Starting a business = creating jobs and/or tax revenue. Buying a house = stamp duty, etc.
    Ninety per cent of asylum seekers in Ireland are bogus.

That is an official government document, if you doubt the claims and figures, write to your local TD to complain.:)

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/PR07000171

Are you stuck in some 2003 time warp? The citizenship loopholes were closed in 2004. Given that it takes years to get paperwork through the Irish immigration system, it is not surprising that people are claiming Irish citizenship. Hell, many Eastern Europeans are starting to claim citizenship, having been in the country for the requisite five years.
    At our nation's lowest ebb, we were forced to see millions of our own vanquish into the New World. Some survived. Many did not.

I think it is morally wrong to shut the door on a member of our diaspora, just because his last direct relative was his great grandfather. Even though he or she considers them selfs an Irish person.

It is patently absurd that an American who has never set foot in Ireland and is several generations removed from the island should have the right to citizenship over someone who have lived, worked, and paid taxes in Ireland for 5+ years...that is, if citizenship means anything in the civic sense - i.e. a sense of duty to the country, an interest in its affairs, etc.

Finally, an American of third-generation Irish descent is no less instrumental in their objectives than other non-EU citizens in seeking Irish passports, as Irish citizenship is simply a means to an end that has nothing to do with pride in or a desire to join the Irish nation: the subsequent right to work anywhere on the continent. There were plenty of Americans in the boom years who took advantage of distant blood ties to Ireland in order to get an EU passport via Ireland - yet somehow this is less troubling than West Africans or South Asians doing the same thing? LOL.

I am willing to be taken to a court of law by this Nigerian.

No problem.

Balls in her court.

This has nothing to do with court you silly buffoon. You do not need an Irish passport or an EU Citizen to visit other planets if discovered!. You will have a passport earth!.. Again back on the thread!

This is still the point that I am making!.. You are saying you lot a in Nigerians? I know many skilled Nigerian worker than I know of Irish. FACT!

Stop prejudice and stereotypical!.. DO you even know what that means?

Can you ever give a Nigerian a job? honestly speak the truth. I dont think you are cos you discriminator and stereotypical person!

Besides, if im a Nigerian, my English is not so bad is it ? ;)

Nah, nah. Bring me to court.

I back up all my claims with suitable articles.

Take me to court for slurs against Nigerians.

Please. Please do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

It is profoundly saddening when I see the Irish disparage Americans whom claim to have Irish descent. It should be an honour to see a person of another country whom are descendant from your own blood proudly claim so. Much of the Irish blood in America came of desperate times, fleeing the fetters and the blights and tribulations of Ireland and Europe for a better chance in life in the New World. Your Irish ancestors had no small part in building America, and you all should be rightly proud to share blood with those men and women.

This has nothing to do with court you silly buffoon. You do not need an Irish passport or an EU Citizen to visit other planets if discovered!. You will have a passport earth!.. Again back on the thread!

Attack the post, NOT the poster

I am on little more than the dole and I work by myself. I am not a wealthy man. Far from it.

Its not my fault your people, well, the majority, are in receipt of state funds.

You are not even in the EU. So any dude that cant pay his own way, should be deported. Simple as that. We owe you nada, zilch, fuccccck alll.

Did America owe Irish nada, zilch, fuccccck alll when Irish moved their begging for food and jobs? Sleeping on the streets? Did they?

By the way that is fact!

It is patently absurd that an American who has never set foot in Ireland and is several generations removed from the island should have the right to citizenship over someone who have lived, worked, and paid taxes in Ireland for 5+ years...that is, if citizenship means anything in the civic sense - i.e. a sense of duty to the country, an interest in its affairs, etc.

Nah, its not. Far from it. Many kids, mother and fathers have grown up American, but have absorbed themselves in Irish culture. I would have no problems with our Irish diaspora obtaining Irish citizenship. Righting a wrong, if you will.

Problem?

You still have not got over the fact that many Irish Men and Women died of starvation? Beg for food, shelter, jobs? ... Thats the point, If you have gotten over it, you wouldnt have been so discriminative afterall.. It pains you to know that this happened to Irish people. It burns you!

Well Nigerian emigration history are far more better than of the Irish. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

You can have dual citizenship. In my mind if you have lived in a place for a long time you inevitably feel affection towards it. You can still have your passport from where you were born. There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from and being proud of where you have lived for a long time.

Did America owe Irish nada, zilch, fuccccck alll when Irish moved their begging for food and jobs? Sleeping on the streets? Did they?

By the way that is fact!

IrishAM, Still waiting for your answer pls

mcwinning wrote: »
    You can have dual citizenship. In my mind if you have lived in a place for a long time you inevitably feel affection towards it. You can still have your passport from where you were born. There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from and being proud of where you have lived for a long time.

Thats the post I always wanna see. Thats why I am never gonna back down from Irish people like this. Soon I will be proud to be Irish!

Thats the post I always wanna see. Thats why I am never gonna back down from Irish people like this. Soon I will be proud to be Irish!

But you will NEVER be Irish, sure, you may get citizenship but you will never be Irish. You will always be Nigerian, I will always be Welsh

• Advertisement

You threatened me with court, bub. My names Jay, I am a Tallaght boy and every nationalist that ive ever made contact with in Europe will be there backing me up.

Lets play.

FM

But you will NEVER be Irish, sure, you may get citizenship but you will never be Irish. You will always be Nigerian, I will always be Welsh

Again wrong!.. Supposedly that I am Nigerian and have Irish Citizenship. It means that I am also 100% Irish!... Citizenship by birth or by Naturalisation are all Citizenship!

The beauty of it tho is that they will represent two countries in the out-most scale!..

A Nigerian that has an Irish Citizenship can proclaim to be just Irish Citizen anywhere, anyhow whenever he or she wants!

Please leave this thread. You have know clue!

You threatened me with court, bub. My names Jay, I am a Tallaght boy and every nationalist that ive ever made contact with in Europe will be there backing me up.

Lets play.

FM
    Trolling..

Please answer my previous questions please? I like challenges and so far I am winning by miles!

Again wrong!.. Supposedly that I am Nigerian and have Irish Citizenship. It means that I am also 100% Irish!... Citizenship by birth or by Naturalisation are all Citizenship!

The beauty of it tho is that they will represent two countries in the out-most scale!..

A Nigerian that has an Irish Citizenship can proclaim to be just Irish Citizen anywhere, anyhow whenever he or she wants!

Please leave this thread. You have know clue!

How???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

How???

Because she is a citizen. I think people are now assuming that nationality, citizenship, and heritage all mean the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you're born in a country then that country is your nationality.

what a load of rubbish.

Here's my collection

JsqFm.jpg

I haven't changed my nationality, I was born with 2 and added one a few years ago.

I have 3 Citizenship's and that comes with 3 Nationalities, I'm heading off to China next week and when I was applying for my Chinese visa it asked me what was my Nationality and I put Australian because that's the Passport I am using to enter the country. If I was using my Irish Passport I would have simply put Irish.

Same as applying for an Australian federal job are open to Australians only, I'm entitled to apply if I choose. If I put Irish or British in the application I would be rejected so it makes sense to put in Australian.

At the end of the day I can decide on what nationality suits me depending on the circumstances or simply what I feel like on the day.

On another valid point which is quite common these days, if you have an Irish couple who are working and living in Australia on a 457 sponsored visa and they have a baby born in Australia that child will have an Australian Birth certificate but will not be an Australian its Nationality is deemed Irish.

That child will only be an Australian if

a) The child (and parents) become Permanent residents and then apply for Citizenship.

b) The child lives for most of the first 10 years of its life in Australia then it Automatically becomes a citizen on its 10th Birthday.

A baby born in Australia is only considered an Australian if at least one of it parents is either a Permanent resident or Australian Citizen. If both your parents are only temporary residents and you didn't live long enough in Australia you wont have Australian Nationality.

Personally I either consider myself either Irish or an Irish/Australian.

btw I have never used that Brit passport but its handy to have in case of emergencies.

• Advertisement

How???

Because Irish Citizenship is a privilege and an Honour.. If you wanna ask me how next time please Google what Citizenship actually means. It will help you to the right part of understanding.

A Nigerian/Irish Citizen can for example represent both countries in an olympic games! and any other thing a born Irish can do. So that makes then 100% Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

How???

Does adopting the Irish way of life, Irish culture and embracing Irish traditions not make you Irish?

Because she is a citizen. I think people are now assuming that nationality, citizenship, and heritage all mean the same thing.

thnks for the comment. Please help me educated the ignorant!

Trolling..

Please answer my previous questions please? I like challenges and so far I am winning by miles!

You threatened me with court. I have contacts that are Euro

mandrake04 wrote: »
    what a load of rubbish.

Here's my collection

JsqFm.jpg

I haven't changed my nationality, I was born with 2 and added one a few years ago.

I have 3 Citizenship's and that comes with 3 Nationalities, I'm heading off to China next week and when I was applying for my Chinese visa it asked me what was my Nationality and I put Australian because that's the Passport I am using to enter the country. If I was using my Irish Passport I would have simply put Irish.

Same as applying for an Australian federal job are open to Australians only, I'm entitled to apply if I choose. If I put Irish or British in the application I would be rejected so it makes sense to put in Australian.

At the end of the day I can decide on what nationality suits me depending on the circumstances or simply what I feel like on the day.

On another valid point which is quite common these days, if you have an Irish couple who are working and living in Australia on a 457 sponsored visa and they have a baby born in Australia that child will have an Australian Birth certificate but will not be an Australian its Nationality is deemed Irish.

That child will only be an Australian if

a) The child (and parents) become Permanent residents and then apply for Citizenship.

b) The child lives for most of the first 10 years of its life in Australia then it Automatically becomes a citizen on its 10th Birthday.

A baby born in Australia is only considered an Australian if at least one of it parents is either a Permanent resident or Australian Citizen. If both your parents are only temporary residents and you didn't live long enough in Australia you wont have Australian Nationality.

Personally I either consider myself either Irish or an Irish/Australian.

btw I have never used that Brit passport but its handy to have in case of emergencies.

Nationality and Citizenship are almost the same thing really!.. Tho your country of Origin may defer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement