Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifles and clubs

• 08-09-2012 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Looking to get into air rifle shooting any advice on clubs I could join an that not Olympic shooting and opinions on decent air rifles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

Firstly, what area of the country are you in and whats your budget for the air rifle?

You'll also need to decide what type of air rifle, whether pcp, springer etc. and what kind of target shooting you want to do! Then I can tell you what I'd recommend.

My local club is East Coast Shooting Club in Roundwood, and I shoot my air rifles there...mostly springers (vintage)...but some other guys have pcps. We shoot 25m paper targets and some field target knock downs. Good fun... and airgun shooting is also light on the pocket:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Dublin 15,budget 300-350,rifle springer rifle not sure on break or underlever,how much to join roundwood cheers for getting back to me

Google the club to find membership details.

My preference for springers is Weihrauch, by far. With a bit of digging around and good luck you might pick up a second hand HW80 or HW97 for your budget. They're the top end of German engineering and are really well made...and make perfect candidates for tuning, producing superb, consistant groups. I've two HW's that I tuned myself and they're silk smooth to shoot.

If not Weihrauch, then you're looking at BSA, Gamo etc. they're fine but not in the same league IMHO.

Let us know how you get on!:D

What would be your furthest range with the hw80 5 shot grouping at an inch I was looking at a gamo shadow an getting it tuned up

My first HW80, that I sold 15yrs ago:(, was tuned with a kit from Mike Wade Engineering and ran at about 20 ft lbs. I fed it the original Eley wasps in .22, and from a sitting position I used to be able to fairly consistently hit a 25mm spinner at about 45m. But for any hunting, I always keep to a max of 35m.

I guess in the right hands, a well matched HW80/pellet combination in .177 could 1" group out to 50m. But then there's wind, the odd flier etc to spoil the perfect group:D

• Advertisement

20 wtf I think i know the rifle il get u made mind there.must be a seriously strong rifle

Advertisement