Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Haggis vs. Scientology

• 08-09-2012 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!....just happened upon this amazingly detailed, researched and written piece on the church. It took me hours....runs 26 pages but is an utterly engrosing read.

It's not your typical journo piece that only puts one side or starts with "Scientology is evil" and then creates a story to support that. It's extremely well fact checked, puts multiple accounts across, often contrdicatory and has numerous quotes from the churck, 99% of which are denials or calling defectors liars and perverts.

My not so intellectual conculsion about Scientology after reading the piece?

It's a money orientated cult, it relies on control and brainwashing to keep it's members in check. It's completely OBSESSED with image and PR/public perception.

Everything they say in statements is that of a lawyer, they have a rebuttal for everything, anyone who defects is a liar and sexual deviant of sorts.

The sheer level of "auditing"...translation, information gathering on it's members is astounding!, in many ways it reminds methe the Nazi party, members ratting out other members, punishments meeted out.

Moreso the courses and donations very much make it a church based on financial gain, but then again one could argue the Catholic church is the same in some respects.

The astounding list of high paid well known celebrities is staggering!....i fully belive they target the rich and famous for obvious reasons, these so-called "personality audits" are merely code for seeing who is fecked up enough to be brainwashed.

Scientology is NOT unique in regards it's tactics and methods, cults and many mainstream religions have obvious paralells. It's a fascinating albeit very long read but worth it.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I ate a haggis once. Wasn't bad at all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Tl;dr version: Scientology is a load of w@nk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

eth0 wrote: »
    I ate a haggis once. Wasn't bad at all now

I almost ate some once,enjoyed it better that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I tried the Religion section....but there was no subforum for cults......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Its sad that when a new thread is opened in AH regardless of how well constructed or factual the post there always must be a procession of thanks whoring posts clogging up what may be a good discussion. Get a life ffs.

I believe the next step is to pick out something I have said and use that to restart the thanks whore cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I tried the Religion section....but there was no subforum for cults......?

Surely there's a section for the cult of the spagetti monster.:eek:
    Plenty of places for the cult of celebrity.:mad:

Celebrities would probably have been a better forum, since half of them seem to be Scientologists lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its sad that when a new thread is opened in AH regardless of how well constructed or factual the post there always must be a procession of thanks whoring posts clogging up what may be a good discussion. Get a life ffs.

I believe the next step is to pick out something I have said and use that to restart the thanks whore cycle

thinly veiled i have a life post

is that what you wanted? your counter-thankswhoring has been denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's a money orientated cult

Certainly is. Some of the stories i've read are just shocking.
    But it has to be said L. ron hubbard was arrested for fraud back in the day. I guess the church of scientolgy stills shares his "vision" for making money ;)

But on the subject of so many famous hollywood actors being apart of the group. They must have some control in Hollywood. Makes me think a few people joined the group to advance theirs careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Thinly-veiled thanks whore post. Your one, I mean. Not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

[QUOTE=Richard Dower;80677441 It took me HOURS....runs 26 PAGES but is an utterly engrosing read.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=1[/QUOTE]
    Wait until you start reading War and Peace,it'l take you the rest of your lip moving reading life to finish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Certainly is. Some of the stories i've read are just shocking.
    But it has to be said L. ron hubbard was arrested for fraud back in the day. I guess the church of scientolgy stills shares his "vision" for making money ;)

But on the subject of so many famous hollywood actors being apart of the group. They must have some control in Hollywood. Makes me think a few people joined the group to advance theirs careers.

There is a long section about the famous Hollywood Playhouse....a class that spawned countless actors and celebs, they seemed to have had Scientology people planted to cherry pick the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There is a long section about the famous Hollywood Playhouse....a class that spawned countless actors and celebs, they seemed to have had Scientology people planted to cherry pick the best.

Geez.
    Is anything what you know instead of who you know in this life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Depressing thread but great piece and well worth the read. No country, in the English-speaking world at least, can compare to the US when it comes to essays and short stories. This is a good example of the former: well written, informative, superbly researched, topical subject and avoids shrill hyperbole or caricatures
    housetypeb wrote: »
    Wait until you start reading War and Peace,it'l take you the rest of your lip moving reading life to finish.
    How long would it usually take you to read a 25,000 word essay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Reekwind wrote: »

How long would it usually take you to read a 25,000 word essay?

51 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

That's War and Peace in about 15 hours. Well done to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Serious forums are elsewhere

Advertisement