Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Music Tastes?

• 09-09-2012 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭

Have you found your taste in music changing as you got older?

I say this as I'm downloading Elton John's greatest hits. I've heard a few of the songs on the radio and in pubs lately and realised that they were just damn good songs!

But guarantee you that 3/4 years ago I probably would have dismissed them, and I can't even tell you why.

Used to dislike a lot of music as a teenager, even when I didn't really because I was a big Nirvana fan and I couldn't like anything seen as commercial...
    Can't really listen to them at all now, except for unplugged, but still listen to a lot of Pearl Jam which was kinda conflicting in a stupid way at the time

Anyway, I suppose it's part of getting older, you just don't care anymore and like what you like. I think it's kinda tragic when I see people my age (30) who still define themselves or state what they're "like" by wearing band t-shorts and deriding other peoples taste, or their perceived lack of taste

I love that now I listen the Lyric FM a hell of a lot when I have to study or drive and have just realised that Kenny Rogers "Coward of the County" is this weeks favourite song that I never bothered to listen to!

And Rolf Harris's "Two Little Boys" is one of the greatest songs of all time #ionlyhavedustinmyeye

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Of course it does. I started out blaring the Barney the Dinosaur song when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Of course it does. I started out blaring the Barney the Dinosaur song when I was younger.

I loved his earlier stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

My iPod sounds like a music shop has puked on it.
    I have everything & anything on it.
    Variety is the spice & all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

yes i tend now to judge music by the songs rather than the artist/musical genre
    disco to jazz to metal to pop to folk to techno to classical to trad, if the song is good i'll listen to it
    few years ago i wouldn't have been so open
    end of the day, it is all just noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery in existence. I like a lot of music and really don't like listening to a lot of it too (Country music, sorry, I just really don't like you.) but I never get angry at someone for liking a certain genre like a lot of people often do. Except for maybe when someone tells me X is better than everything else, especially when X in that situation is someone like Justin Bieber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This thread is so good it should be in music. Yeah definately. When I was a teenager up until 20, I was predominantly into indie rock and classic rock. Metal was generally a no go area. I was introduced by friends to bands like Korn but the music was just too intense and hate filled (according to my perception at the time). Although I was partial to some metal without growled vocals eg Rammstein and I found the metal show a source of endless curiosity. Trial by Fire by Testament when I first heard it on phantom in 2000/2001 really caught my attention, particularly the neo classical intro (I was completely oblivious to the existence of neo classical metal or any of the neo classical influences therein). For me anything classical influenced, in terms of chord progressions, were to be found in Muse or Radiohead. I also was partial to System of a Down and RATM. But as I got older and got better on guitar I was more and more drawn to metal and now most of what I listen to is either classic rock or metal. I barely listen to anything that could be classed as indie anymore, I guess I could link it partially to my dissapointment with what indie has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Well - I have found The XX lately and I think theyre super. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I always had a very broad taste. Both my parents have a massive interest so I was exposed to a lot of different styles from a young age. At heart though I'm a guitar, bass drums band man.

In recent months though I've started to listen to Tupac, Rap was never an interest of mine but I have to say I'm very taken by this man's lifetime of work.

I think this what inspired me to write this thread was hearing the Pretenders "Brass in Pocket" earlier. I don't know their catalogue or anything but they're a great bad from what I know and that is a great song. But the bass is so simple in that song that I know it would have pissed off the bass players that I knew back in the day
    But still a good song, and so a good product

And do you know what else is a good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Well initially I like Elvis & Johnny Cash, but then I found myself liking Johnny Cash & Elvis, wierd that isn't it?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Grunge.
    Does anybody like it 5/10 years later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You can hardly expect teenyboppers to listen to teenybopper music all their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

When I was a teen, I was all into music. I was the kid that had my walkman with me everywhere I went. Now that I am older, I find myself listening to talk radio more. Especially NPR.

When I was a teen, I was all into music. I was the kid that had my walkman with me everywhere I went. Now that I am older, I find myself listening to talk radio more. Especially NPR.

I listen to Newstalk a hell of a lot, not that mad into sport but love Off The Ball, those lads make chess sound amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Yup i can 100% agree with OP
    i used to hate one direction, justin bieber, niki/nicky/nicki (whichever ghetto way she spells it) minaj
    Now i just hate them 1000 times more after various awards and concerts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I like both kinds of music. Country & Western.

No but seriously, Everyone's taste changes. I find myself having a new second favourite band every week or so.
    (Although, i've been a Thin Lizzy fan since i can remember and i don't see that changing anytime soon :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Aenaes wrote: »
    Grunge.
    Does anybody like it 5/10 years later?

yep. brings me back to when I was in my teens. Am with ya buddy :D

When I was a teen, I was all into music. I was the kid that had my walkman with me everywhere I went. Now that I am older, I find myself listening to talk radio more. Especially NPR.[/QUO

Do you not still hold an interest in the music you listened to as a teen or anything out there in the present? Personally I love and listen to talk radio regularly, but I still couldn't go a day without music.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

In the space of the last year, I've gone from Nickelback (who need a genre of their own, preferably off in a corner, where they can't hurt themselves...) to Nirvana. Hearing Holiday on the radio introduced me to Green Day, my friends showed me stuff like Queens of the Stone Age and Black Keys. Right now the favourites are Rise Against and Snow Patrol. Green Day is in its death throes, so they're going out now.
    The thing about music has to be the emotional force behind it. I reckon you can tell a lot about people from their musical tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What I like in music depends on my mood I guess. I like a lot of the chart stuff to dance to and then more indie stuff when I'm chilling out.

Music snobs would shriek in horror if they had a look through my music collection. Don't care.

• Advertisement

When I was a teen, I was all into music. I was the kid that had my walkman with me everywhere I went. Now that I am older, I find myself listening to talk radio more. Especially NPR.[/QUO

Do you not still hold an interest in the music you listened to as a teen or anything out there in the present? Personally I love and listen to talk radio regularly, but I still couldn't go a day without music.

Not so much. I might listen to my MP3 player if I am sitting on the bus, but I ruined my hearing when I was younger listening to music so loudly and so often. When I am at work, I listen to NPR and when I am driving home, I listen to NPR. When there isn't something interesting on NPR, I'll turn to Pandora, but even then, my favorite stations are the comedy stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Next year it will be some of the same only different. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ten years ago, I would have considered opera oul' lads music and never understood why someone would bother listening to a fatso screaming in Italian.

I'm beginning to appreciate it now for the sheer sound of it - the fact that the music and voice alone can convey so much, regardless of the language barrier.

So in conclusion, tastes can change and I'm now a thirty-something oul' lad.

policarp wrote: »
    Next year it will be some of the same only different. . .

On the current crop of popular chart music certainly. For a real connoisseur though there's so much more to explore and enjoy out there from a wide variation of different genres and artists both past and present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

girl2 wrote: »
    Well - I have found The XX lately and I think theyre super. Really.

Agreed..I just found them a few days ago & they are brilliant...listening to night time as i type this..possibly one of my favourite songs ever!!..so unique...perhaps people would know of others similar bands??

In terms of music changing..yes ive been through every stage...although now I tend to go for less commercial stuff...Only because it all sounds the same to me..music quality chart wise has no variety whatsoever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I'm 20 and recently started developing a taste for Tom Jones lately :confused:

WHYYY WHYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYYY DELILAH !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My music tastes have changed a tiny bit over the years. But i'm still a Rock & Metal fan since the age of 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I'm 20 and recently started developing a taste for Tom Jones lately :confused:

WHYYY WHYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYYY DELILAH !

It's not unusual to like Tom Jones.

On the current crop of popular chart music certainly. For a real connoisseur though there's so much more to explore and enjoy out there from a wide variation of different genres and artists both past and present.

Where will it come from though?
    Africa, South America, China or Europe.?

• Advertisement

Where will it come from though?
    Africa, South America, China or Europe.?

It's here right now, you've just got to delve a little deeper than the current pop offerings. There's a wealth of talent still in operation today, also think of the great catalogue of real music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

started off with the beatles (parental influence)

got 'Bad' by michael jackson, and was mad about him for about 12 years

discovered the red hot chilli peppers (blood sugar sex magic)

which developed into indie, like pavement, sonic youth, sebadoh

these days i'm still mostly rock oriented, but have found myself getting into the much derided 'bro-step' genre :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I've only ever listened to one musician(s) and that's Milli Vanilli. I feel it would be the ultimate betrayal if I even thought of listening to anybody else.

RIP Pilatus and may you rest in jesus arms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Last year, if you played me the Jamie xx album "we're new here" which is a remix of various gil Scott heron songs, I'd have laughed. Now it's all I can listen to! :D Jamie XX along with The XX have to be the best things to come from the 21st century so far!

It's here right now, you've just got to delve a little deeper than the current pop offerings. There's a wealth of talent still in operation today, also think of the great catalogue of real music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

I thought in the 60ts, 70ts, 80ts 90ts,00ts.that was music
    Then there was the 20ts Boom Boom Boom
    Then there is Techno. To me, not music. . .

I thought in the 60ts, 70ts, 80ts 90ts,00ts.that was music
    Then there was the 20ts Boom Boom Boom
    Then there is Techno. To me, not music. . .

My point is that a lot of the good stuff for a real enthusiast is no longer present in the Pop charts. However the arts of song writing and musicianship are still alive but just aren't as prevalent as they were in the hay day of the real stuff. I fully agree that the industry is heading in the wrong direction. The current popular Number 1 material makes me feel like searching for a tow rope and creating a suspending noose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Growing up I always had a broad range of music I liked ( at least compared to friends). My first ever single was Europe's Final Countdown, first album was Bon Jovi's New Jersey. But at the same time I loved the rap of NWA, Ice T, Ice Cube, Onyx. And Michale Jackson as well followed by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns N'Roses, Metallica, Faith no More. Loved U2 and the Pogues too and Van the Man as well.

So by 18 I was a grunger, metaler, rapper and also like pop and Irish music too.

Nowadays I still like and appreciate all of the above but with time my musical tastes have gotten even broader than they were before. I discovered more and more bands who were well retired or dead before I was born- the Kinks, Beatles, Doors, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, the Who and so on.

A few years later I grew an appreciation for female soloists, not talking Cheryl Cole here but real female soloists who can use the full note range of their voice- women like Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone. At the same time I also appreciated the early beginnings of dance and electronica like the Prodigy and DJ's like Paul van Dyke, Pete Tong, Carl Cox. Still love to watch the best DJs in the business play, Fatboy Slim being a favourite and have an admiration for Tiesto and Daft Punk too.

Then I went out with a Spanish music composer / producer for a while and she introduced me lots of Latin music like Rodrigo y Gabriela, Buena Vista Social Club and Mano Chao, still love them all. She also introduced me to other world music like samba from Brazil and drummers like Yamato from Japan who are just stunning to see live- the reverbarations from their drumming reach every bone in your body.

I also took up playing the saxophone so got into my jazz a fair bit and still love Charlie Parker and Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock too. That also led me into the Blues of Muddy Waters and gave me a new appreciation for how that genre influenced some of the biggest bands like the Rolling Stones.

I'm 34 now and am beginning to enjoy moody music like Enya and also classical but modern pianists like Philip Glass. Also love anything by the German film score composer Hans Zimmer- its fascinating how much people know his music but don't know it is by him but he is basically the king of Hollywood when it comes to film music, everyone from Disney to Quentin Tarantino has used his talents to set music to film.

So to answer the OP's question, for me personally my music taste hasn't changed - I still love and listen to all of the above (some a lot more frequently than others) but it is more so my tastes have grown as I discover more and more. One band that I know I will always always go back to is Pink Floyd and I know I'll never ever tire of Dark Side of the Moon and the Wall- their methods of making music laid the groundwork of electronica, sampling, synthesizing as well as being a darn good rock band, or progressive rock as the critics labelled it. Also having one of the best ever guitarists in David Gimour and best writers in Roger Waters helped a lot too=)

I haven't yet got into Barbershop Quartets but the way I'm going that is not far off either :D

The current popular Number 1 material makes me feel like searching for a tow rope and creating a suspending noose.

This is something that every generation has probably said. Can you imagine being part of the generation that was first introduced to reproduced sound? Or, the parents who grew up listening to swing music and jazz but their kids listened to the Doors and the Rolling Stones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I listen to NPR in the mornings and daytime at weekends but need a few hours of music nightly. Can be kickass Ska, Soul or Disco

Sorry for hijacking the question KW :)
    Yup. I still play The Selecter, Specials, Byron Lee and The Dragonaires, Madness, Jimmy Cliff, Toots and The Maytals and, of course, Lee Scratch Perry

Advertisement