Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Glass, WP8, Kinect & IE

Options
  • 09-09-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

So, I've been away for the past year and was wondering what all of the above is like integrated with each other? I haven't updated my 360 in over 2 years so I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on what it's like nowadays? Does anyone use a combination of Windows Phone and Kinect? What's this Smart Glass malarkey? Can a WP be used to navigate IE on the Xbox and is it any good? I'll be home in 3 weeks and I'm seriously itching to turn on my 360.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ok so first of all I should point out that IE isn't available on the public dashboard, only on the beta, but chances are the beta dashboard will have a final release before youre back.

Ok well the dashboard as you'll see it will be metro-ised anyway, it looks nice IMO. I have a Kinect and use the voice navigation regularly, its pretty accurate. I don't have a Windows Phone thoug, but yes, you will be able to control IE from your Windows Phone, but also iOS and Android when the apps for those are released.
    This explains Smartglass better than I could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_SmartGlass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Looking forward to all this when I get back......and all the games I missed out on over the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Meesared wrote: »
    but yes, you will be able to control IE from your Windows Phone, but also iOS and Android when the apps for those are released.

I take it there's a proper point to this?

How do you mean?

How do you mean?

Its probably going completely over my head, but why would you want to control your 360's IE via your Smartphone?

• Advertisement

Using the screen of your phone/tablet as a touchpad essentially, would be a nicer way of controlling it than with a joypad.

Using the screen of your phone/tablet as a touchpad essentially, would be a nicer way of controlling it than with a joypad.

Ah I see. Meh

Nicer to have it than not have it!

Nicer to have it than not have it!

In my opinion I couldn't be arsed, its all gimmicky integration thats largely useless. But again, thats just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Would the navigation be as fluid as browsing on a smartphone? Ie, a quick flick of the finger on the smartphone and the browser on the 360 responds just as smoothly.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't imagine so, it going through the Wifi, but the scrolling is pretty smooth on the Xbox though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

The full soft keyboard on mobiles/tablets is one of the things I'm most looking forward to with Smartglass, no way I'm paying 30 quid for one of the text pads.

Shred wrote: »
    The full soft keyboard on mobiles/tablets is one of the things I'm most looking forward to with Smartglass, no way I'm paying 30 quid for one of the text pads.
    Theyre very handy to have in general in fairness

Shred wrote: »

I got mine for a tenner on adverts. And they attach on perfectly to the joypad so its not gonna be a case of jumping from your phone to your pad. Do they retail for 30 quid?
    Theyre very handy to have in general in fairness

They're very handy agreed.

Advertisement