Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What constitutes 'A Member of The Press'?

• 09-09-2012 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I recently emailed a fairly mundane event by anyone's standards (agricultural event) and asked for press access to accommodate our video camera crew and still photographer (our company is a website) who would be highlighting the event, but was told that such access was only "for members of the press."

Can anyone tell what exactly that is? Does it solely refer to holders of an NUJ card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

obrecki wrote: »
    I recently emailed ...... but was told that such access was only "for members of the press."

Can anyone tell what exactly that is? Does it solely refer to holders of an NUJ card?

Members of the press are people who are associated with a press organisation (work for a paper) or supply to a press organisation on a regular basis (freelance or agency affiliated).

I don't hold an NUJ card, but am a member of the press.

If you can prove that your images/video will be used by a press organisation (newspaper, recognised website) then they may grant you access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Strange approach in this day and age. Plenty of blogs have more impact than many 'established' sources. A quick glance at an organsation's website or wares should be enough to tell if they're worth giving access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Syferus wrote: »
    A quick glance at an organsation's website or wares should be enough to tell if they're worth giving access to.

Many organisations don't go looking at every blog/website that applies for accreditation. The permit working press or those working for well known organisations.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is, and many organisations are tightening their rules for granting access.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 obrecki

Thanks for the advice. Without naming it, our company, once the name is said is known instantly. We recently started a digital media department and have been met by multiple 'no's when asking events for press access. Yet, our traditional type press officers have no issues when trying to access events.

It's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I cover a lot of events but don't bother with an NUJ card, for music I already know the managers and venues. When it comes to press events I just make sure to get clearance from whomever is running it, I've done so many that just dropping my name usually works because Dublin is a very small city. You do always find the one event or organizers who are just ridiculous to work with, ironically its usually the less important events so they shoot themselves in the foot by making it so hard for photographers or camera crew. I've seen people with NUJ cards being turned away from certain events, I was fine again because I did more than just show up unexpectedly with a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 obrecki

I cover a lot of events but don't bother with an NUJ card, for music I already know the managers and venues. When it comes to press events I just make sure to get clearance from whomever is running it, I've done so many that just dropping my name usually works because Dublin is a very small city. You do always find the one event or organizers who are just ridiculous to work with, ironically its usually the less important events so they shoot themselves in the foot by making it so hard for photographers or camera crew. I've seen people with NUJ cards being turned away from certain events, I was fine again because I did more than just show up unexpectedly with a card.

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you, re contacting the organisers. I contacted them 3 weeks in advance as I personally loathe turning up on the day and expecting to be let in because of our name.

I think I will just telephone them because it seems a bit ridiculous. They barely get a mention on the news and here we are trying to give them free positive press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Let me in....do you know who I am?

Laughable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Spoofing seems to work for some but it's hard to figure if it works in gaining access or appearing to work to sound important.

Spooky spoofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pete4130 wrote: »
    Let me in....do you know who I am?

This is only funny when it doesn't work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Zillah wrote: »
    This is only funny when it doesn't work.

No it's not. It's always funny. It's even more funny when it works in my thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement