Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the average wage in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

sarumite wrote: »
    Though these figures can fluctuate on an average basis without any decrease or increase in wages on personell basis. The CSO figures tell us what is happening, not why it is happening. For example the average wage can increase because everyone is getting a pay rise or it can increase because a lot of new people started in positions that pay higher than average wages. Equally if a lot of people were to leave the workforce who were at the top of they payscale and be replaced by people at the bottom then the average wage could decrease.

Some people will deny all available evidence no matter how clear cut it is.

Can you explain to me how it is possible for the statistics to be wrong about the wage cuts in the public sector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Godge wrote: »

Can you explain to me how it is possible for the statistics to be wrong about the wage cuts in the public sector?

To be fair...........
    The average earnings dropping in the public sector are most likely as a result of the amount of retirements over the past number of years and the moratorium on recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

New entrants earning less than the average.

What else can it be given there have only been two cuts to gross pay during the last four years despite more than two CSO quarters of cuts to PS pay.

Perhaps, you only want things to be clear cut when they support your point of view Godge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

noodler wrote: »
    New entrants earning less than the average.

What else can it be given there have only been two cuts to gross pay during the last four years despite more than two CSO quarters of cuts to PS pay.

Perhaps, you only want things to be clear cut when they support your point of view Godge.
    There really haven't been that many new entrants.
    The drop is more likely to do with the amount of higher earners retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Interesting.

Once again the figures show that earnings and numbers continue to decrease in the public sector while the private sector sees rises in both wages and numbers.

At that rate of attrition they will even up in about 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I see my point on the usefulness of CSO data has completely gone over your head. c'est la vie
    Hmmm....who said that? I would tell the person who said it, that statistics are just statistics. The problem with statistics being 'wrong' can arise if a person over interprets a limited data set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kippy wrote: »
    There really haven't been that many new entrants.
    The drop is more likely to do with the amount of higher earners retiring.

Agreed - my point was more about less high earners and more low earning new entrants specifically but yes, of course you are correct that the amount of people who have retired on larger wages would dwarf the relatively small and targeted recruitment drives of the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

sarumite wrote: »
    I see my point on the usefulness of CSO data has completely gone over your head. c'est la vie

Hmmm....who said that? I would tell the person who said it, that statistics are just statistics. The problem with statistics being 'wrong' can arise if a person over interprets a limited data set.

Do not trust any statistics you did not fake yourself -- Winston Churchill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average earnings 2015 = 36,519

Still below what it was in 2008 = 36,792

Sad, no general rise in wages in 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

CPI Dec 2006 = 100

2008 = 107.0
    2009 = 102.2
    2015 = 106.0

2008 to 2015 = minus 0.93% inflation

Okay, fair enough, slightly up in real terms.

2016 q2 prelim data

Average earnings

21.93 per hour

704 per week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I would imagine somewhere in the region of €30k - €35k is average if not a little more , cant imagine the majority of people are earning under €25,000, sure that's only a good graduate starting salary in most places.

I would imagine somewhere in the region of €30k - €35k is average if not a little more , cant imagine the majority of people are earning under €25,000, sure that's only a good graduate starting salary in most places.

No need to imagine, it's published by CSO.

Approx 704 pw, approx 36,608 pa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Geuze wrote: »
    No need to imagine, it's published by CSO.

Approx 704 pw, approx 36,608 pa

Yeh that sounds like an accurate figure to be honest

Gross i'm assuming ?

All earnings are quoted gross.

Average earnings = 36,600 approx

Average earnings in industry = 851 pw, or 44k approx.

2016 earnings data published just now.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2016/

Average earnings = 36,919, up 400 from 2015

Average for full-time workers = 45,611

Average in industry = 44,821

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

2016 earnings data published just now.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2016/

Average earnings = 36,919, up 400 from 2015

Average for full-time workers = 45,611

Average in industry = 44,821

So the average weekly wage is around 850/ 900 euros. Lol pull the other one. There is some serious salaries inflating that figure. I would say 60% of the workforce are on 25k or below per annum.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So the average weekly wage is around 850/ 900 euros. Lol pull the other one. There is some serious salaries inflating that figure. I would say 60% of the workforce are on 25k or below per annum.

Woo! Top 40%!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, they would be.

Average wage is got by adding up all the salaries paid to everybody, and dividing by the number of workers.

So, imagine that 75 out of 100 of the workers do front-line jobs and earn, say, 25K. 20 workers are employed in managerial roles and earn 40k. And the remaining 5 workers are in senior executive/partnership/owner positions, and earn 100k.

Average wage in that economy is just under 32k. (You can do the maths yourself.) But 75% of workers earn less than that. The average is skewed upwards by a small number of high earners. In real life, most national economies have a relatively small group of high earners and a much larger group of lower earners, so most people earn less than the average wage.

If you line all the workers up in order of what they earn, and then go to a point exactly in the middle of the line and find out what that worker earns, that's called the median wage. In the example given above, the median wage would be 25k.

In real-world economies, the median wage is lower than the average wage. Half the workers in the economy will earn the median wage or less, and the other half will earn the median wage or more.

I've heard it said - sorry, no cite, and I could be misremembering - that the median wage in Ireland is about 29k, as opposed to 36k for the average wage.

It would be helpful if median earnings were published.

Eurostat do publish median hourly earnings for Ireland.

Eurostat data

Median gross hourly wage = 20.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Does Eurostat also publish an average gross hourly wage?

It strikes me that the ratio of the median wage to the average wage might be useful information regarding the distribution of income in an economy - the closer the median is to the average the more evenly earnings are shared, and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Eurostat data

Median gross hourly wage = 20.20

That's 40k if a full time position.

People should be careful on contrasting pay with income. The median income is lower than the median pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Joe stiglitz talks a lot about median wages, I do believe this is a true measure of the levels of income, and sadly it's not looking good for many. This is a very worrying trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

That's 40k if a full time position.

Assuming you get paid for 38 hours per week, 52 weeks of the year. Is that the correct way to calculate annual pay from those numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

hognef wrote: »
    Assuming you get paid for 38 hours per week, 52 weeks of the year. Is that the correct way to calculate annual pay from those numbers?

If a full time position, yes. I'd use 39 hours though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

What % of the population graduates college and enters a profession . Come down from that ivory tower !

Exactly plenty of people who work in fast food industry, retail, etc., who would be lucky to make 25k.

Advertisement