Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man beats woman. In shock.

• 09-09-2012 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

The title is supposed to attract attention.

I was waiting for a taxi after a night out, I did notice a very agitated man standing near me. All of a sudden I see him leap towards a women walking past him. He punched her knocking her to the ground, he pulled her to her feet by her head and continued to punch her in the face about 5 times knocking her onto a wall. He continued to punch her using both hands about 10 times. The noise actually echoed through a nearby car park.

5 men walked past and did not try to stop the attack. I called the gards strait away. As I walked towards him to intervene, a garda van pulled up and arrested a man for something else which I do not know. I thought the van came to arrest the woman beater. I told the gards in the van of what just happened. They had no interest at all and told me to call the station and they will send out someone is 5-10 minutes. When the garda car arrived about 10 minutes later (after about 2 minutes of circulating the scene) they said there is nothing they can do unless the victim talks to them and wants to press charges. They made no effort to search for the suspect even thought 3 people gave detailed descriptions. The two gards in the car had a great laugh ripping the piss out of the whole situation and saying that they get 10 phone calls a night about situations like this, and that they have bigger problems to worry about.

I met some other witness' that told me it was better to stay out of it than get involved with something that was not their business

It makes my blood boil. Does anybody else find this shocking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nope.
    If they don't see/get a report of a crime they can't do anything, really.
    You should have called their attention to the (which I assume was) beaten woman instead of the suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 suplad

Nope.
    You should have called their attention to the (which I assume was) beaten woman instead of the suspect.

I did. One of the Garda left the car and had a chat with her, while the other one ripped the piss out of the situation

suplad wrote: »
    I did. One of the Garda left the car and had a chat with her, while the other one ripped the piss out of the situation

If she won't press charges then there's nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

It is shocking. I saw a similar situation tonight when a girl I'd know to see got jumped by another girl for no reason. I was chatting away to her and one of the bouncers I'd know at kicking out time we were fine until this t***p started pulling her hair, I immediately tried to stop her with the bouncer, it took myself and 4 bouncers to free the young girl, we stayed inside until the guards came... Next thing we know this stranger started on the guards....they had to Pepper spray him to subdue him. In total there were about 15guards at the scene trying to arrest two people, amazing what drink/drugs can do.....

• Advertisement

I hate seeing these things happen, let alone for them to happen to me. It really bothers me and annoys me for ages afterwards even reading such stories. This is why I don't like to stay out after 9pm anymore. I see enough scum around the bus stops in around Eden Quay and Abbey Street when I'm getting the bus home at around 6pm. I prefer to stay blissful in my little bubble of ignorance than to actually witness these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

It is shocking. I saw a similar situation tonight when a girl I'd know to see got jumped by another girl for no reason. I was chatting away to her and one of the bouncers I'd know at kicking out time we were fine until this t***p started pulling her hair, I immediately tried to stop her with the bouncer, it took myself and 4 bouncers to free the young girl, we stayed inside until the guards came... Next thing we know this stranger started on the guards....they had to Pepper spray him to subdue him. In total there were about 15guards at the scene trying to arrest two people, amazing what drink/drugs can do.....

This isn't really that similar a situation though, both involve fights on a night granted.
    Nope.

OP reported the crime. I don't see why the woman wouldn't be looking for something to be done. If it was just some random guy attacking her why would she not want him caught? We're not talking about a domestic here.

Does anybody else find this shocking?

Disturbing and upsetting, yes. Shocking as in surprising, no.

Someone I know witnessed some Neanderthal swing for some woman outside a well known city centre department store a few years back. He dropped her flat on her back with a punch to the face. The guy was tempted to intervene, but spots two guards walking towards the incident. He thinks to himself "surely they can't possibly have missed that", but no, the two guardians of the peace turned a corner immediately and walked away.

So your man runs after them and says he just witnessed a serious criminal assault taking place 20-30 yards away. Senior guard says if he wants to make a complaint he needs to contact the station. So the guy thinks there is some misunderstanding and says "no, this isn't something I saw earlier today, this woman is getting beaten up right now, this very minute, just over here!"

The guard gets a bit surly with him now and repeats "like I said, if you want to make a complaint, go to the station". They then continue walking away (I suspect in the direction of Supermacs) and probably muttering Jesus we really need to cut back on the foot patrols around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If she won't press charges then there's nothing you can do.

There is no such thing as "pressing charges" in this country; total myth perpetuated by TV. The justice system decides if a prosecution should go ahead or not, regardless of what the victim says.

If she is uncooperative and won't make a statement, that would cause difficulties, but that's very different to the American concept of pressing charges.

Actually I've (I'm not a garda or anything) have had several friends refused to give the go-ahead with charges. You'd be surprised at how the justice system is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Zillah wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "pressing charges" in this country; total myth perpetuated by TV. The justice system decides if a prosecution should go ahead or not, regardless of what the victim says.

If she is uncooperative and won't make a statement, that would cause difficulties, but that's very different to the American concept of pressing charges.

Learn something new everyday.

This story sounds a bit exaggerated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No real man physicaly abuses a woman. I witnessed a vicious attack outside of Supermacs in Roscrea one night, the thug in question only ceased his savagery when our group intervened. The piece of dirt never encountered the law and the woman in question is still with him. The mind boogles.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I called the gards strait away.

I hope you weren't using predictive text.

Although, in fairness.

Any man that hits a woman aint a man.

The piece of dirt never encountered the law and the woman in question is still with him. The mind boogles.:confused:

Actually I've (I'm not a garda or anything) have had several friends refused to give the go-ahead with charges. You'd be surprised at how the justice system is.

Dunno about that. I'm no legal expert either but I'd imagine in the case the OP describes even if the victim of an assault refuses to play ball and make a formal complaint there would surely be some sort of "auxiliary charge" at the discretion of the arresting guard, no? Drunk & Disorderly, public nuisance, or whatever, none of which the victim need be asked about and even if it didn't carry a jail sentence would at least get one drunk/stoned moron off the streets for an evening.

Dunno about that. I'm no legal expert either but I'd imagine in the case the OP describes even if the victim of an assault refuses to play ball and make a formal complaint there would surely be some sort of "auxiliary charge" at the discretion of the arresting guard, no? Drunk & Disorderly, public nuisance, or whatever, none of which the victim need be asked about and even if it didn't carry a jail sentence would at least get one drunk/stoned moron off the streets for an evening.

I don't think there was a garda that saw it, though?
    I gathered that the OP saw the assault and then later on, a cop van pulled up for a different situation and the gardaí weren't interested in the OP's situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think the shock of witnessing the disgraceful antics delay an immediate reaction. To view a piece of crap who calls himself a man savagely beat on a woman is an horrific sight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Take the garda's number and report to ombudsmen if they won't help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

what would you have had the guards do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That kind of assault definitely requires intervention. A quick grab of the shoulders with a knee hard in to the back would put an end to it in seconds. Says a lot about the so called men that walked past that not one even thought of making mince of that scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

event wrote: »

Stop the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Stop the fight.

it was over by the time they got there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

It is a sad state of affairs when a group of men wont stop a woman from getting attacked. Im not claiming this is the case here but i know many would be afraid of legal consequences of intervening and having charges pressed against them. I saw a man dragging a woman down the street about 12 yrs ago, she was screaming leave me alone nd stuff. I intervened and he tried to attack me, im a big guy and put him on his arse. The gardai arrived that very minute and she starts screaming that i attacked her fella. Lucky for me they had been coming up the street behind me and saw the whole incident. They sent me on my way nd dealt with the lovely couple. Would intervene again in such a situstion but id be very wary and i kno many other men who are too.

I find this story very suspicious though in that a woman is subjected to a vicious attack by a random man and when the gardai arrive no charges are pressed ir action taken. If this is truly the case then the gardai who attended should be ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

DarkJager wrote: »
    That kind of assault definitely requires intervention. A quick grab of the shoulders with a knee hard in to the back would put an end to it in seconds.
    Not everyone knows self defence moves.
    Says a lot about the so called men that walked past that not one even thought of making mince of that scumbag.
    Who says they didn't think about it? They were probably afraid to, though - and understandably so. The guy seems like a maniac.

Civilians shouldn't have to put themselves at risk in these situations, that should be up to the police force. And it's clearly a failure in this country much of the time. Saw viciously violent attack in daylight in Cork a few weeks ago - the guard nearby: no interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Video it for evidence......

and youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I stopped a girl getting a hiding one night with a bit of force. Turns out she was after robbing the fellas phone. Was in court for assault and robbery . Got off because the chap went back to Canada and couldnt point me out to identify me .
    Steer clear from now on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

cloptrop wrote: »
    I stopped a girl getting a hiding one night with a bit of force. Turns out she was after robbing the fellas phone. Was in court for assault and robbery . Got off because the chap went back to Canada and couldnt point me out to identify me .
    Steer clear from now on .

Fair one. Unless you see it from start to finish, you could be landing yourself in it.

Personally, I'm drawn to fights like a dog to sausage. I've come close to tears when I've seen someone getting a smashing that they didn't deserve, but I couldn't help because the girlfriend was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

And this is why I fully support the guy a few weeks ago who threw a scumbag over a wall after being subjected to his repeated attempts to humiliate him. Realising he was getting nowhere, the scumbag then urinated on the man's shoes, whereupon this man snapped, grabbed the scumbag up and threw him over a wall. It wasn't the man's intention to leave the scumbag brain damaged, but at least he'll never be in a position to subject anyone else to his scumbag behaviour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was held up by two junkies at needlepoint one afternoon, only one person came to my aid, a guy on the door of a local pub. Nothing happened, they saw him and did a runner before he could catch up with them.

The police were totally useless and more or less blamed me for engaging in conversation with them ( one had asked me the time while the other came up behind me ) I actually saw the same lads two weeks later, went straight to the station which was across the road and got told it wasn't worth their while taking it further this despite the fact the pricks had taken over 100 euros from me and there was cctv where the attack happened.

I have very little faith in the police now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I don't understand it - If the Gardaí can't/won't/are not interested in or simply are not able to do their jobs any more then why are they still being paid so much fcuking money in their weekly wage?

- Theres a lot of Scumbags on both sides of that professional niche if you ask me....... They'd be such good company for each other, pity they rarely meet......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

event wrote: »

Be professional maybe?

If they were ripping the píss as the OP claimed, then maybe if they acted with some professionalism and treated witnesses at the scene with a bit of courtesy and respect. That would be a nice start, because it's the least we should expect from our taxes that pay their wages after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

No real man physicaly abuses a woman. I witnessed a vicious attack outside of Supermacs in Roscrea one night, the thug in question only ceased his savagery when our group intervened. The piece of dirt never encountered the law and the woman in question is still with him. The mind boogles.:confused:

Scumbags get the chicks, nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm presuming the OP is female, yes? Otherwise I presume they would have intervened themselves...?

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm presuming the OP is female, yes? Otherwise I presume they would have intervened themselves...?
    And get battered themselves? Nothing wrong with protecting yourself. What if they're a lot bigger? What if the OP isn't a fighter? People *say* here they'd intervene but would they actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I probably wouldn't intervene. This was probably a domestic, even if it seemed a random assault. Intervene in those cases and the woman attacks you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I know two people who were assaulted but were told by the Gardaí that would have to deal with the matter themselves through the civil courts. Essentially they were told to sue.

One is a woman in her 30s, the other is my son. Son was attacked in a nightclub by an ex boyfriend of his (son's) ex-girlfriend. The whole thing was caught on CCTV, several people (including bouncers) witnessed it and all were willing to give statements- including the ex-girlfriend. The manager of the club called the Guards but they let the guy off with a warning. Son ended up in hospital and when he went to the Guards wanting to press charges he was told he would have to take it up via the civil courts.

That is exactly the same story they told the woman I know who was assaulted. Now she had no witnesses - but son had CCTV footage showing this guy just went up to him and started punching him, he had witness statements from bouncers and the club manager plus various people who saw what happened. It was an unprovoked attack.

How is this a civil matter? Surely assault is criminal and it is up to the Gardaí to deal with criminal matters???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is there a statute of limitations on assault in Ireland. If so how many years is it.

I probably wouldn't intervene. This was probably a domestic, even if it seemed a random assault. Intervene in those cases and the woman attacks you.
    Maybe yeh. Anyone intervening is highly admirable in my book though, but it's a huge risk.

Although I think a group doing so could be safer, but an individual - would need a lot of balls.

Madam_X wrote: »
    And get battered themselves? Nothing wrong with protecting yourself. What if they're a lot bigger? What if the OP isn't a fighter? People *say* here they'd intervene but would they actually?
    I've no issue with that - I probably wouldn't have the nerve to intervene either. I wouldn't be so quick to criticise the other guys who "just walked on by" though. Unless they were in a group, perhaps, though that's not how I read it initially, and even then the OP could have called their attention to it.

And this is why I fully support the guy a few weeks ago who threw a scumbag over a wall after being subjected to his repeated attempts to humiliate him. Realising he was getting nowhere, the scumbag then urinated on the man's shoes, whereupon this man snapped, grabbed the scumbag up and threw him over a wall. It wasn't the man's intention to leave the scumbag brain damaged, but at least he'll never be in a position to subject anyone else to his scumbag behaviour!
    Nah he could have just punched him if he felt the situation called for force. Throwing him over a wall was way ott.

• Advertisement

Nah he could have just punched him if he felt the situation called for force.
    You're right, the alleged scumbag would probably have just left him alone then and not bothered him again.

Nah he could have just punched him if he felt the situation called for force. Throwing him over a wall was way ott.

I think he just snapped though when the adrenalin kicked in so to speak, I think if he had foreseen through that his actions would leave the guy brain damaged, he wouldn't have done it. We've all said or thought "I'll kill so and so" at some stage, without actually ever intending to do it for real, because our rationale would have stopped us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

In a domestic violence case they can make an arrest against the wishes of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Dockington wrote: »
    I saw a man dragging a woman down the street about 12 yrs ago, she was screaming leave me alone nd stuff. I intervened and he tried to attack me, im a big guy and put him on his arse. The gardai arrived that very minute and she starts screaming that i attacked her fella.

I've heard similar stories.

I like to think that if some innocent passer-by (male or female) is started on by a scumbag then I'd intervene. I'd steer clear of 'domestics', though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Dockington wrote: »
    It is a sad state of affairs when a group of men wont stop a woman from getting attacked. Im not claiming this is the case here but i know many would be afraid of legal consequences of intervening and having charges pressed against them. I saw a man dragging a woman down the street about 12 yrs ago, she was screaming leave me alone nd stuff. I intervened and he tried to attack me, im a big guy and put him on his arse. The gardai arrived that very minute and she starts screaming that i attacked her fella. Lucky for me they had been coming up the street behind me and saw the whole incident. They sent me on my way nd dealt with the lovely couple. Would intervene again in such a situstion but id be very wary and i kno many other men who are too.

Heard about something similar happening one night outside a pub. Luckily the bouncers saw what happened and took the man into the pub until the police left him alone. He was going to be arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I don't get why people would stay with abusive partners (if the girl in question was with the guy who beat her). I just don't get it and can't help but thinking "own fault" for staying with them.
    You can get help and move away/country if this help isnt enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I was waiting for a taxi after a night out, I did notice a very agitated man standing near me. All of a sudden I see him leap towards a women walking past him. He punched her knocking her to the ground, he pulled her to her feet by her head and continued to punch her in the face about 5 times knocking her onto a wall. He continued to punch her using both hands about 10 times. The noise actually echoed through a nearby car park.

5 men walked past and did not try to stop the attack. I called the gards strait away. As I walked towards him to intervene, a garda van pulled up and arrested a man for something else which I do not know. I thought the van came to arrest the woman beater. I told the gards in the van of what just happened. They had no interest at all and told me to call the station and they will send out someone is 5-10 minutes. When the garda car arrived about 10 minutes later (after about 2 minutes of circulating the scene) they said there is nothing they can do unless the victim talks to them and wants to press charges. They made no effort to search for the suspect even thought 3 people gave detailed descriptions. The two gards in the car had a great laugh ripping the piss out of the whole situation and saying that they get 10 phone calls a night about situations like this, and that they have bigger problems to worry about.

I met some other witness' that told me it was better to stay out of it than get involved with something that was not their business

Im confused, are we garda bashing or women beater bashing?

Either way im grabin me pitch fork.

It's very simple really: they still love them and cling to the hope that they'll go back to being as lovely as when they first met them. Plus, they are so worn down and lacking in confidence that they don't reckon they deserve any better, so they become dependent on their abuser. Also there can be those cases of blackmail for leaving. "I'll kill you/myself if you leave me" etc.
    On the outside looking in, it looks ridiculous, but if you're in the situation, it makes sense. Leaving an abusive relationship requires a huge amount of courage. It most certainly is not the abused party's fault.

It's very simple really: they still love them and cling to the hope that they'll go back to being as lovely as when they first met them. Plus, they are so worn down and lacking in confidence that they don't reckon they deserve any better, so they become dependent on their abuser. Also there can be those cases of blackmail for leaving. "I'll kill you/myself if you leave me" etc.
    On the outside looking in, it looks ridiculous, but if you're in the situation, it makes sense. Leaving an abusive relationship requires a huge amount of courage. It most certainly is not the abused party's fault.

Summed it up in an easily understandable nutshell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So you sat there watchin some bloke hit a woman a couple of times and then gave out bout 5 lads that walked past?
    Seriously mate order a set of balls and don't come on this with **** like that
    You deserve a smack for watchin that like a coward
    Wonder if it was a child would you have done something?! Prob not

You make my blood boil fcukin fairy

• Advertisement
Advertisement