Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man beats woman. In shock.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I don't get why people would stay with abusive partners (if the girl in question was with the guy who beat her). I just don't get it and can't help but thinking "own fault" for staying with them.
    You can get help and move away/country if this help isnt enough

There's a lot of psychological damage. Their mind is worn down to thinking it's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

So you sat there watchin some bloke hit a woman a couple of times and then gave out bout 5 lads that walked past?
    Seriously mate order a set of balls and don't come on this with **** like that
    You deserve a smack for watchin that like a coward
    Wonder if it was a child would you have done something?! Prob not

You make my blood boil fcukin fairy

That'll go down well I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

And this is why I fully support the guy a few weeks ago who threw a scumbag over a wall after being subjected to his repeated attempts to humiliate him. Realising he was getting nowhere, the scumbag then urinated on the man's shoes, whereupon this man snapped, grabbed the scumbag up and threw him over a wall. It wasn't the man's intention to leave the scumbag brain damaged, but at least he'll never be in a position to subject anyone else to his scumbag behaviour!

Link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I love the "probably not" assumption without an answer when asking whether they'd have intervened if it were a child, as if they have a clue what they'd do. Very easy to say you'd be a big tough nut from your keyboard, but not convincing.

Dodderangler, if a guy was way bigger than you/a really nasty fighter and dangerous looking enough to possibly possess a weapon, you might be able to tackle him, but others shouldn't be verbally abused for not doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Zillah wrote: »
    If she won't press charges then there's nothing you can do.

There is no such thing as "pressing charges" in this country; total myth perpetuated by TV. The justice system decides if a prosecution should go ahead or not, regardless of what the victim says.

If she is uncooperative and won't make a statement, that would cause difficulties, but that's very different to the American concept of pressing charges.

If the victim makes a statement but later retracts it then a prosecution can go ahead and she is treated as a hostile witness.

Without a statement of complaint there is NO investigation and the guards have absolutely no power to go ahead with a prosecution. A statement of complaint is absolutely required before they can act.

The term pressing charges, while an American term, is correct The girl has to make a complaint before the guards can 'press charges' against the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was in a nightclub about 10 years ago and was buying a few drinks for myself and 2 of my friends at the counter, then all of a sudden this girl grabbed 2 of the drinks I had just bought and went to make off with them.

I went after her and grabbed the drinks off her and went back to the counter to pay for what I got when these 2 guys came along and accused me of taking the girls drinks. There is a bit of pushing and shoving as I knew I did nothing wrong so I wasn't prepared to back down.

Sometimes a situation isn't what it seems and unless someone sees the whole incident it's ofton better not to get involved. I've seen it a few times where drunk women seem to think they have free reign to slap men across the face just because they think they can.

Neither gender has the right to hit the other IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

ANXIOUS wrote: »

Link ?

The story on breakingnews (mobile site link)-

http://m.brne.ws/ireland/trinity-lecturer-avoids-jail-for-throwing-man-down-15ft-drop-554535.html

and discussed here on boards (touch site link)-

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056663754?page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

This is a horrible situation. It makes me queasy thinking about it. As a kid, I once saw a man beating the s*** out of a woman outside of a pub. Nobody did a thing to help her. It's disturbing.
    My own father used to beat the s*** out of my mother regularly. Makes me sick thinking about it. Thankfully, she got out. It took a long time for her to take that step though.
    I'll never understand these sick fcukers:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

So you sat there watchin some bloke hit a woman a couple of times and then gave out bout 5 lads that walked past?

I assumed the poster was female... either way no need to call him a "fairy". Plenty of gay lads can stand up for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

There must be at least 3 of these threads on here every week. And they are only ever on here, never reported in the press for some reason.

If the woman here did not charge the guy what are they supposed to do! If the victim will not report or testify for whatever reason it makes things difficult. The assault as described by the OP it is hard to believe she walked away was not quite seriously injured? If that was the case and emergency services were called I would imagine it would be investigated but if the victim gets up and walks away as if nothing happened and does not complain I cannot see how the guy can be charged, the case would go nowhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

theres nothing to say the woman wouldent turn on you and side with guy who was beating her,wouldent be the first time i heard of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Madam_X wrote: »
    It's very simple really: they still love them and cling to the hope that they'll go back to being as lovely as when they first met them. Plus, they are so worn down and lacking in confidence that they don't reckon they deserve any better, so they become dependent on their abuser. Also there can be those cases of blackmail for leaving. "I'll kill you/myself if you leave me" etc.
    On the outside looking in, it looks ridiculous, but if you're in the situation, it makes sense. Leaving an abusive relationship requires a huge amount of courage. It most certainly is not the abused party's fault.

Well said. :)

See the last line of my sig' for how some mental thinking sometimes never changes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I assumed the poster was female... either way no need to call him a "fairy". Plenty of gay lads can stand up for themselves.
    Wtf does callin someone a fairy have to do with someone being gay
    Where did I say anything bout being gay
    And who's the fairy that reported me for being uncivil?
    This is after hours for Christ sake!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

Why is assault on a female seen as an unprecedentedly more serious crime than assault on a male?
    Ireland is a sexist country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Wasn't me that reported you. I assumed you were calling him gay for not having the balls to do something about it. If you meant fairy in a non-homophobic way then fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

Not as sexist as Pakistan in fairness. Where is it said a woman beating a man isn't as bad as the reverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Biggins wrote: »
    Well said. :)

See the last line of my sig' for how some mental thinking sometimes never changes!

Jesus Christ, that's shocking. I mean, it's seriously backward. I want to put him in a boxing ring with Katie Taylor for 5 minutes. Yeah, I know that violence solves nothing but it can sometimes give a nice, warm tingly feeling inside.

Wasn't me that reported you. I assumed you were calling him gay for not having the balls to do something about it. If you meant fairy in a non-homophobic way then fair enough, I'll take your word for it.
    Nope fairy as in just being a little fairy nothing to do with gays
    Called him A fairy for not having the balls to do Something bout it and should be ashamed of himself over it
    I wouldn't be able to stand there and watch a bloke hit a woman whether he's a stranger to her or boyfriend/husband if step in dispute the result of what happens to me

pathtohome wrote: »
    Why is assault on a female seen as an unprecedentedly more serious crime than assault on a male?
    Ireland is a sexist country

That's not how you use the word "unprecedentedly". And the reason that we're less keen on woman-beating than yourself is that it's pretty cowardly. Women are typically smaller than men. People who beat up people smaller than them are seen as cowardly scum. There's no sexism there.

• Advertisement

Yeh I wasn't aware it was a boys v girls competition.

Yeh I wasn't aware it was a boys v girls competition.

Fair point. There was no need for the whataboutery earlier (I don't mean you, btw).

Fair point. There was no need for the whataboutery earlier (I don't mean you, btw).
    Oh hell no I wasn't aiming that at you! A few such "what about the reverse?" comments have popped up in this and the rape thread. It's just tiresome that some people feel the need to resort to such agenda-pushing when it's not relevant. If they want to discuss reverse scenarios I just wonder why they dont therefore start such threads - I'm sure they would make for very interesting and insightful discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blueyes12

Oh my god! That's truly awful, how could anyone stand by and watch that happen?

Yes it's true that some victims of domestic violence, be it male or female, do not follow through with pressing charges or else they drop them for various reasons! Regardless of this I can't believe men and women walked by while this was happening, shocking.

As for the guards making a joke of this violent attack. Thats just awful.

I'd call the guards, no way would I intervene. Would all here who complain about those who didn't intervene do so themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

suplad wrote: »
    As I walked towards him to intervene, a garda van pulled up and arrested a man for something else which I do not know.

How convenient.

I'd call the guards, no way would I intervene. Would all here who complain about those who didn't intervene do so themselves?

Yes I most certainly would intervene as I was a victim of domestic violence for a number of years!

The person that intervend for me, when I was getting strangled by the throat by my ex, I am eternally gratefull as I went straight to guards, pressed chargers, which followed a barring ordering removing him from the home. That was 3 years ago and I've never looked back.

Ive since trained in working with victims of domestic violence. Both male and female.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

The title is supposed to attract attention.

I was waiting for a taxi after a night out, I did notice a very agitated man standing near me. All of a sudden I see him leap towards a women walking past him. He punched her knocking her to the ground, he pulled her to her feet by her head and continued to punch her in the face about 5 times knocking her onto a wall. He continued to punch her using both hands about 10 times. The noise actually echoed through a nearby car park.

5 men walked past and did not try to stop the attack. I called the gards strait away. As I walked towards him to intervene, a garda van pulled up and arrested a man for something else which I do not know. I thought the van came to arrest the woman beater. I told the gards in the van of what just happened. They had no interest at all and told me to call the station and they will send out someone is 5-10 minutes. When the garda car arrived about 10 minutes later (after about 2 minutes of circulating the scene) they said there is nothing they can do unless the victim talks to them and wants to press charges. They made no effort to search for the suspect even thought 3 people gave detailed descriptions. The two gards in the car had a great laugh ripping the piss out of the whole situation and saying that they get 10 phone calls a night about situations like this, and that they have bigger problems to worry about.

I met some other witness' that told me it was better to stay out of it than get involved with something that was not their business

It makes my blood boil. Does anybody else find this shocking?

cool story bru

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm seriously sick of the guards. I was assaulted and according to them 'I should have known better.' They refused to take a statement in the ten times I went into them.
    After I was assaulted again, I went into them and wouldn't leave till they took a statement. Now, a year later, they have 'lost' the statement. I think I will have to go over them to get justice.

blueyes12 wrote: »
    Yes I most certainly would intervene as I was a victim of domestic violence for a number of years!

The person that intervend for me, when I was getting strangled by the throat by my ex, I am eternally gratefull as I went straight to guards, pressed chargers, which followed a barring ordering removing him from the home. That was 3 years ago and I've never looked back.

Ive since trained in working with victims of domestic violence. Both male and female.
    Fair play to both you and that person who saved you - remarkably brave.

• Advertisement

Excuse the typos above using my phone

Fair play to both you and that person who saved you - remarkably brave.

Yes most definetly it was a brave thing to do or some may call it stupid, either or it was what I needed to follow through and get him charged.

So the victim in the original post mentioned may have had similar experience or not, regardless 5 guys walked by, they could have easily outnumbered the abuser?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 argirl

Jesus the garda are getting worse.
    Some guy threatened to brick my sisters house windows and she called the guards who came 4 hours later when the window was already broken and scumbag got away.

I live in the U.A.E. and you can call the police even if someone insults you, and they will come within 5 mins. Wish Ireland had some of the same laws, strict as they are, they work and the petty crime rate is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

event wrote: »
    Take the garda's number and report to ombudsmen if they won't help?

what would you have had the guards do?

seriously is that a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

argirl wrote: »
    Jesus the garda are getting worse.
    Some guy threatened to brick my sisters house windows and she called the guards who came 4 hours later when the window was already broken and scumbag got away.

I live in the U.A.E. and you can call the police even if someone insults you, and they will come within 5 mins. Wish Ireland had some of the same laws, strict as they are, they work and the petty crime rate is very low.

Is that you again Aganica?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You and the person who saved you are very brave people. I wouldn't have dreamed of a situation like that happening on another person. I think you are a wonderful person for being open.

I wish you both well in your future work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 argirl

MagicSean wrote: »
    Is that you again Aganica?

eh?? No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

closet much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

An assault I witnessed in Cork 3 months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683817&pp=15&page=1

The Guards do not care. They prefer to catch the little fish. The easy target like car tax or drunk and disorderly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

The title is supposed to attract attention.

I was waiting for a taxi after a night out, I did notice a very agitated man standing near me. All of a sudden I see him leap towards a women walking past him. He punched her knocking her to the ground, he pulled her to her feet by her head and continued to punch her in the face about 5 times knocking her onto a wall. He continued to punch her using both hands about 10 times. The noise actually echoed through a nearby car park.

5 men walked past and did not try to stop the attack. I called the gards strait away. As I walked towards him to intervene, a garda van pulled up and arrested a man for something else which I do not know. I thought the van came to arrest the woman beater. I told the gards in the van of what just happened. They had no interest at all and told me to call the station and they will send out someone is 5-10 minutes. When the garda car arrived about 10 minutes later (after about 2 minutes of circulating the scene) they said there is nothing they can do unless the victim talks to them and wants to press charges. They made no effort to search for the suspect even thought 3 people gave detailed descriptions. The two gards in the car had a great laugh ripping the piss out of the whole situation and saying that they get 10 phone calls a night about situations like this, and that they have bigger problems to worry about.

I met some other witness' that told me it was better to stay out of it than get involved with something that was not their business

It makes my blood boil. Does anybody else find this shocking?

i find it shocking that you were not in full sprint over to help her, and instead ran for the cops. FFS would you like if someone did that to a female of your family and some guy walks over to help, stops for the cops, then goes on AH to ask our opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I don't get why people would stay with abusive partners (if the girl in question was with the guy who beat her). I just don't get it and can't help but thinking "own fault" for staying with them.
    You can get help and move away/country if this help isnt enough

It is not that simple, it is cases like that are quite complex actually. I actually find these cases more difficult to work with than sexual assault cases, though clearly that is just my own personal response. It is very easy to say just do this, it is not always that easy for those caught up in such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Odysseus wrote: »
    It is not that simple, it is cases like that are quite complex actually. I actually find these cases more difficult to work with than sexual assault cases, though clearly that is just my own personal response. It is very easy to say just do this, it is not always that easy for those caught up in such circumstances.

I never understand this, but i have seen it happen many times where a lady stays with a guy who regularly beats them, even one case where she was the main bread winner in the house and your man was just ungrateful but still beat her most weekends, they are still together as far as i know. Its a comedy, i intervened a few times, but after a while of her still being there you just loose your willingness to help, and just try and be nice after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

argirl wrote: »
    eh?? No

Right. You're just some girl from the UAE who happened to wander on this thread after he was banned.
    grenache wrote: »
    An assault I witnessed in Cork 3 months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683817&pp=15&page=1

The Guards do not care. They prefer to catch the little fish. The easy target like car tax or drunk and disorderly.

The Garda was right. Even if they had cctv of the incident, Section 2 assault is not arrestable. Once they have the details of the offenders they can follow up with a summons for assault, assuming the injured party makes a complaint.
    allibastor wrote: »
    I never understand this, but i have seen it happen many times where a lady stays with a guy who regularly beats them, even one case where she was the main bread winner in the house and your man was just ungrateful but still beat her most weekends, they are still together as far as i know. Its a comedy, i intervened a few times, but after a while of her still being there you just loose your willingness to help, and just try and be nice after.

Fear and dependence. Domestics have the potential to be the most dangerous calls for emergency services. They are very complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

allibastor wrote: »
    i find it shocking that you were not in full sprint over to help her, and instead ran for the cops. FFS would you like if someone did that to a female of your family and some guy walks over to help, stops for the cops, then goes on AH to ask our opinion on the matter.

If the OP is true then it's not wildly inconceivably the bloke could have put her in hospital or an early grave smashing the head off her while he is on the blower to the guards!! I'm not the biggest chap ever or a fighter but i have stepped in during a similar situation, came off worse fractured knuckle and black eye but the girl was out of sight when i got off the deck! Not a hope i could stand idly by i'd rather take a hiding trying to help than stand there gawping on the phone to the Guards.

This thread is a not so subtle "Guards are sh1t" thinly veiled rant. Well, people are also sh1t by sounds of it to just watch this type of thing go down. Yeah you might take a battering for intervening but it sure beats complete inaction and then blame the Guards!

And yeah i know that intervention is risky and if people don't want to intervene no problem, but don't come on blaming Guards for not doing enough after the fact when ya did nothing during the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Lapin wrote: »
    I hope you weren't using predictive text.

Although, in fairness.

Any man that hits a woman aint a man.

Dat's a grate way to pass away de day . corectin gramer on boreds.ie :D;):p Hope you get ur degree sooon,

• Advertisement
Advertisement