Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get to sleep-what do you do :0

• 09-09-2012 4:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Feck.5am again & can't sleep. Will wake automatically at 8 feckin fifteen as always :( 3 1/2 hours sleep if I'm lucky :(
    I've tried petting the dog, tried TV, tried After Hours & " walking" around the garden like a lunatic in my PJs . Still can't sleep.

What do you try, & then what works?

Comments

Valium or sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd just stay up, its Sunday. If you're dying take a nap in the afternoon unless of course you have any other pressing issues happening. Either way you'll definitely sleep good later on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,207 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

All I remember before falling asleep is feeling very drowsy and then I can't remember anything at all after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jebforever wrote: »
    All I remember before falling asleep is feeling very drowsy and then I can't remember anything at all after that.

Hmmm.'back To the Ops suggestion of bucket lodes of Valium so. Or other....
    Still not sleeping :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

masturbate or have sex :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Rub my belly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Having once been a long time insomniac i suggest the following possible adjustments....

*drops of lavender oil on either side of you, on sheets or pillow
    *Avena Sativa or Dormeasan...both herbal tinctures
    *wearing socks...sounds daft.. but works surprisingly well
    *sex...with self or partner
    *NLP or Yoga Nidra tapes/cds when you just cannot drift off
    *bathing with epsom salts (= magnesium = relaxation of muscles)
    *accepting that there are things that are bothering you...write them down...acknowledge their existence...do what you can..and accept what you can't
    *exercise - vigorous, outdoors - in the earlier part of the day
    *quit or severely limit caffeine...includes chocolate...or at the most have it before lunch...(sorry :-( !)
    *Daily Meditation. I recommend Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche's book The Joy Of Living for a clear, useful description of same...
    *Accepting not sleeping - accepting FULLY. No sweat. I once went 2 weeks with no more than brief snatched minutes, I'm still alive, and sleeping well at the moment. I go into phases of not sleeping and the sooner I relax and accept them fully, the sooner i get back to a pattern.
    *warm milky drink does work for me - tryptophan perhaps?
    *massage with lavender oil before bed....either on your own belly, or if you've got some one very nice in your life who will do your back...:-)
    *write or paint out the issues in your life before trying to sleep

There are others...if I remember i'll get back...my go-to remedy is lavender oil...its cheap, cheerful and for me it really helps. Whats not to like?
    best of Luck OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

get off your computer /phone for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Having once been a long time insomniac i suggest the following possible adjustments....

*drops of lavender oil on either side of you, on sheets or pillow
    *Avena Sativa or Dormeasan...both herbal tinctures
    *wearing socks...sounds daft.. but works surprisingly well
    *sex...with self or partner
    *NLP or Yoga Nidra tapes/cds when you just cannot drift off
    *bathing with epsom salts (= magnesium = relaxation of muscles)
    *accepting that there are things that are bothering you...write them down...acknowledge their existence...do what you can..and accept what you can't
    *exercise - vigorous, outdoors - in the earlier part of the day
    *quit or severely limit caffeine...includes chocolate...or at the most have it before lunch...(sorry :-( !)
    *Daily Meditation. I recommend Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche's book The Joy Of Living for a clear, useful description of same...
    *Accepting not sleeping - accepting FULLY. No sweat. I once went 2 weeks with no more than brief snatched minutes, I'm still alive, and sleeping well at the moment. I go into phases of not sleeping and the sooner I relax and accept them fully, the sooner i get back to a pattern.
    *warm milky drink does work for me - tryptophan perhaps?
    *massage with lavender oil before bed....either on your own belly, or if you've got some one very nice in your life who will do your back...:-)
    *write or paint out the issues in your life before trying to sleep

There are others...if I remember i'll get back...my go-to remedy is lavender oil...its cheap, cheerful and for me it really helps. Whats not to like?
    best of Luck OP.

Don't think thats gonna work at 8.20am. OP wakens at 8.15am.

Lots of goo advice for tonight though :D

You're right girl 2...how could I have been such a fool? :-D

and steady on Haydar...whats a body to do in the long lonely sleepless hours of the dead of the night? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Heres some advive form the who.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I used to watch telly but had to give that up when I moved in with herself. now I read books on my phone and it has proven to be even more effective - if sitting up reading i could easily finish a book in one sitting but when lying down reading I'm regularly out cold within 3-5 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I always love listening to some music while i drift off to sleep. Something quiet and soothing like the xx or warpaint.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My special brew sleepy tea (3 chamomile tea bags and one Valarian tea bag)

Then I have a read of a good book and.... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz :cool:

Yes, I second that xzanti...thats a good sleepy brew you make there...and since i started drinking loads of mint tea during the day i have been sleeping much much better, because not only is it a digestive and carminative, its also a sedative nervine...which i didn't know before it started working so well for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I have the opposite affect, i will be sitting here at the pc doing what i always do and then all of a sudden i faint from being awake for 3 hours and wake up with a creaky neck. As soon as i wake up i'm fresh as a daisy and 3 hours later i get tired and fall asleep again but sometimes in strange places and awake again to a creaky neck.

One way to fall asleep is to lie back and listen to coast to coast am radio on the ear-phones and if that doesn't put you to sleep then i don't know. Just don't drink soft drinks before you do go for a sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Every morning I wake up at 06.30/07.00 no matter what time I go asleep at, Sometimes I would love to be able to sleep right through till 8 or 9 :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ZMA.
    It's just a supplement but it gives great sound sleeps and crazy vivid dreams its done wonders for my sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Try give up coffee / tea. They only give a short term lift and are alien to your. I sleep like a lamb now aft giving that poison up

Yes, I second that xzanti...thats a good sleepy brew you make there...and since i started drinking loads of mint tea during the day i have been sleeping much much better, because not only is it a digestive and carminative, its also a sedative nervine...which i didn't know before it started working so well for me....

Must try that :) thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Read those stories about Brett

I don't get the hype, booooooring

bbam wrote: »
    ZMA.
    It's just a supplement but it gives great sound sleeps and crazy vivid dreams its done wonders for my sleep

Is that the stuff Bodybuilders take? Or could anyone use it without turning into Jodie Marsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

xzanti wrote: »
    Is that the stuff Bodybuilders take? Or could anyone use it without turning into Jodie Marsh?

It might not turn you into jodie marsh but It might shrink your twinkle and ball-sack. Not recommended, better off doing 100 pushups and then lie down and try to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

My friend swears by magnesium supplements, no tea, coffee or sugary foods after 7. Assuming you have gone down the looking at your eating habits, the following always works for me -

Lie flat on your back hands by your side.
    In your mind picture a pencil starting at the top of your head. Trace (in your mind) a line around every inch of your body, in between your fingers and toes etc. When the imaginary pencil gets back up to the top of your head, concentrate on relaxing every single muscle in your body. You would be surprised what muscles are clenched and you don't even realise it.

Start at relaxing your forhead, eyes mouth shoulders, upper arms fingers and so on.
    This always works for me, I usually don't remember getting to my lower body.
    Good luck with it try it a few times and let me know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

zenno wrote: »
    xzanti wrote: »

It might not turn you into jodie marsh but It might shrink your twinkle and ball-sack. Not recommended, better off doing 100 pushups and then lie down and try to sleep.

zma is a steroid now? lol

its patented ratio of zinc and magnesium. The magnesium part is what helps people sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Stilnocht - prescription
    Nytol
    Kalms Sleep

also use black out blinds / sleep mask etc

Sshhhhh, guys, OP has been asleep since about 5.15 am....awww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

When I wake in the morning I'd very easily fall back to sleep if I let myself. That usually consists of continuing a dream I had instead of just rousing myself.

So at night when I have trouble sleeping I try to remember a recent dream and continue it. Draws your mind back into abstract mode or something and allows you to drift off instead of being stuck in the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

OP -

Look in to my eyes...not at my eyes.....in to them.....

ZMA does work though,very well.

ZMA does work though,very well.

Where can you get ZMA - Health shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Generally if I can't sleep I don't try. Being exhausted the next day is just your body clock resetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

try physics live on tv3.that sh1te puts me right to sleep every time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I simply go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If I am tired enough and exhausted enough I sleep straight away otherwise If no wink of sleep I make myself tired, relax, read a book, think about the day or think of things I need to do, or look at my laptop/go online, lights off which help gets me to sleepy mode. Lying down and resting can help if you any bit relaxed and any bit tired even if not tired enough to sleep you will after a while. You drift off then.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Where can you get ZMA - Health shops?

Evergreen sell them..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Feck.5am again & can't sleep. Will wake automatically at 8 feckin fifteen as always :( 3 1/2 hours sleep if I'm lucky :( I've tried petting the dog, tried TV, tried After Hours & " walking" around the garden like a lunatic in my PJs . Still can't sleep. What do you try, & then what works?
    how are those things supposed to help you sleep?

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    Evergreen sell them..

Cant find it :o

Do you have a link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have suffered with chronic tinnitus since an early age so at this stage I have mastered the bedtime routine

There are plenty of suggested ways to help you sleep and it's finding one that suits yourself.

Some general tips I'd give from my own experience is:

* Regardless of what time you have to get up at, only go to bed when you are tired.

* if you can't sleep, get up. Read a book or watch a non stimulating tv show. Don't do it in bed tho. Leave your bedroom

* avoid late night caffeine and exercises.

Its also worth testing what your idea sleep cycle is. The best way to do this is on holiday toward the end of it. Have a day where you don't drink alcohol and go to bed when you're tired. Set no alarm clocks and make sure no one will wake you. The time you naturally awake gives you an indication of your own ideal sleep length

faceman wrote: »
    The best way to do this is on holiday toward the end of it. Have a day where you don't drink alcohol and go to bed when you're tired. Set no alarm clocks and make sure no one will wake you. The time you naturally awake gives you an indication of your own ideal sleep length

And what do you do with this information ?

• Advertisement

Do you have a link?

www.hpnutrition.ie

I'm not affiliated in any way

on holiday toward the end of it. Have a day where you don't drink alcohol
    Damn...
    I'm never going to get this to work !!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Eat cheese strings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

1 I'm sleeping, 2 I'm sleeping 3 I'm sleeping rarely hit 100 I'm sleeping,

I can sometimes daydream my self asleep by thinking about a dream I have and change it, then presto I'm dreaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scioch wrote: »

And what do you do with this information ?

Er, besides writing it on a piece of paper and sticking it up your bum, you could use it to determine what sleep your body needs versus what time you go to bed. No point going to bed looking for 8 hours kip if your body only needs 6.

Do you have a link?

No link sorry.. But I bought a container of them in Evergreen about 9 months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Turn on your ipod. I do it every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Melatonin works really well for me. My doctor prescribed it.

Er, besides writing it on a piece of paper and sticking it up your bum, you could use it to determine what sleep your body needs versus what time you go to bed. No point going to bed looking for 8 hours kip if your body only needs 6.

All right calm down I'm only asking lol.

So your saying check how long you naturally sleep and go to bed to suit to get into the right routine ? Would it not vary though from night to night ? 6 hours tonight, 8 hours tomorrow depending on how tired you are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Do you have a link?

You could try www.myprotein.ie or www.iherb.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement