Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Asia/Oz

Options
  • 09-09-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on going traveling for a few months, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.

I have two BOI cards:
    1) Mastercard
    2) Visa Debit

Will each of these cards work in the countries above?

What charges will be applied per transaction?

Would it be possible to get a Visa on the same account as the Mastercard as an emergency spare just in case wattet is stolen/lost etc and

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Tibulus,

Thanks for contacting us.

Both Mastercard and Visa are widely accepted worldwide.

Mastercard is accepted in all the countries you mentioned.
    The Masercard Worldwide site has specific country by country information available here

The cross border handling fee for Mastercard is:

• Transaction in euro: No charge. All other transactions:
    • 1.75% value of transaction

Cash Advance Fee:

• Transactions in euro: 1.5% subject to a minimum of €2.54 per transaction.
    • Non euro transactions: A Cash Advance fee of 1.5% will be applied to the euro converted amount including the
    1.75% cross border handling fee referred to above, subject to a minimum of €2.54 per transaction

The Visa Debit is also accepted worldwide, and can be used at point of sale and ATM's that display the Visa logo.
    The Visa Global website has detailed information and country specific information available here

Fees and charges for Visa Debit can be found here

It is not possible to have a Mastercard and Visa on the same accounts as Mastercard and Visa are separate cards.

I hope this helps.

Billy

Advertisement