Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarification

Options
  • 28-11-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Does anyone have any strongly held beliefs on the practise? Christians and Atheists i know consider it a form of self harm, and when i try to explain it the usual response is "go to a poper tatoo shop".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I have the strongly held belief that you should have a very strongly held belief before you do it :)

People are always right to point out that tattoos or scars are for life and not to be rushed into. Since you're asking here I'm guessing you're thinking of doing it either in a ritual setting or as part of a dedication; and that's for even longer than life and so even more caution is appropriate.

The advice about a tattoo shop isn't misplaced, you do want anyone doing this to you to have a very good idea of what they're about; check out the Tattoos/Piercing Board for advice on finding someone that could do the job you're looking for (if you want someone who can do the scarification in a ritual setting you will probably find it easier to search for Pagans amongst the professional scarifiers than searching for a trained scarifier amongst Pagans).

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Intreaguing that, thanks man.

I have had the habit in the past of carving shapes myself, keeping them open etc, i have a couple of good crescent moons, worked at under moonlight on significant dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ruadan wrote:
    Intreaguing that, thanks man.

I have had the habit in the past of carving shapes myself, keeping them open etc, i have a couple of good crescent moons, worked at under moonlight on significant dates.

ok scarification as an artform simular to tatooing is one thing what your describing sounds too close to personal mutliation; which is very self destructive.

No path, God or Godess demands that we do harm to ourselves.

yes there are susposedly blood magic rituals but i have never come across any that was more then nasty posing or that was not more about self harm.

One could say that piercings and tattos fall in the same bracket. Its basically altering the appearance of the shell in which we reside for a miniscule amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Ruadan wrote:
    keeping them open etc,
    That doesn't tie in with modern scarification, which is done by skilled trained professionals with strong hygeine precautions during both the cutting and the healing process.

It doesn't tie in with tribal scarification, where you would be expected to bear your scars, and re-opening them would be seen as a failure to do so.

It doesn't tie in with most modern Pagan practice, because exposing anyone, including yourself, to the potential health risks have ethical issues.

It doesn't tie in with most magical practice, where one is very careful about what habits one develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

*hands ruadan some sticky tape*

True but its been 4 years, i've lerned much and become infinitely less depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

sorry to hear you had to go through that Ruadan,
    but I am glad you have come out the otherside of it and would hope those
    scars are the worset of what you carry with you now.

Advertisement