Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crying Americans.

• 09-09-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

How is it they always start crying bang on cue during news reports,it may not even be that big an issue.I know it may be a cultural thing where your expected to shed a few tears,but how do you do it.Actors are trained in the art,but the ordinary Joe in the street seems to be a master of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Worked with a few Americans once and i found, compared to them we are very reserved. Much more emotive in their ways, what i noticed more so was they will cheer, shout and clap at anything! The leader in the office was American and he complained that the Irish in the group didnt get excited enough in the meetings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Different country, different set of societal rules.

It's okay to cry as much as you want over there, even if it's over nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Pff, Americans and their goddamn oil guzzling drive by gun-totting tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

kneemos wrote: »
    How is it they always start crying bang on cue during news reports,it may not even be that big an issue.I know it may be a cultural thing where your expected to shed a few tears,but how do you do it.Actors are trained in the art,but the ordinary Joe in the street seems to be a master of it.

I blame C&W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Americans just love whooping, hollering and bawling their eyes out at the drop of a hat. Something that's happening might never be worth such an OTT reaction and yet there they are - making a show of themselves. At lest the Irish need to be well on the way to being drunk for that sort of display.

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »

Apparently, a guy can hug another guy with no gayness. Doesn't really work here in emotionally deadville. (not that I want to hug other guys, like)(I'm not gay)(or even bi)(Wish I didn't bring the hugging thing up now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

and we,the irish,in general are at the opposite end of the scale.if we expressed our emotions more then suicide rates would'nt be as out of control as they are imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Worked with a few Americans once and i found, compared to them we are very reserved. Much more emotive in their ways, what i noticed more so was they will cheer, shout and clap at anything! The leader in the office was American and he complained that the Irish in the group didnt get excited enough in the meetings!

Was it one of those companies where every feckin meeting is like a religious revival meeting? They're all barking mad. I think that most of the people only join in because they think they'll lose their job if they don't look like they think the company is "God".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

fran17 wrote: »
    and we,the irish,in general are at the opposite end of the scale.if we expressed our emotions more then suicide rates would'nt be as out of control as they are imo

Yeah because there is no suicide in America :rolleyes:

deisedave wrote: »
    how can you come to that conclusion from my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is your name Sheldon Cooper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Tell them thats cause all the Irish have hangovers. They would be more excited if he installed a beer fridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

a fat guy wrote: »

Apparently, a guy can hug another guy with no gayness. Doesn't really work here in emotionally deadville. (not that I want to hug other guys, like)(I'm not gay)(or even bi)(Wish I didn't bring the hugging thing up now).

You can delete words after you write them you know.

no never heard of him.i can only take it he is insightful and very much in touch with his emotions;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Is conclusion too big a word for you that you need to reference that awful show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Clapping. The Americans love a good old Clap.

You can delete words after you write them you know.

My intterweb ttypewriter has been actting upp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How is it they always start crying bang on cue during news reports,

They're probably a bit upset about something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

mike65 wrote: »
    Americans just love whooping, hollering and bawling their eyes out at the drop of a hat. Something that's happening might never be worth such an OTT reaction and yet there they are - making a show of themselves. At lest the Irish need to be well on the way to being drunk for that sort of display.

Mike, usually I find your posts full of the wisdom. But not today. I'd say at some stage in your life you must have visited or lived in the US. I have too. That's a bit of a generalisation now to say they are all loud and emotional in the blink of an eye. Are some Americans like that? Yeah, and so are some Irish. I've met many Americans who were nothing but stoic rocks, calm and very collected and discreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Americans: 'Merikanikus Fatikus
    A large species of human, famous for their love of shooting up colleges and a lack of pavements.

Pros:lovely teeth & you'll never have to ask an American to repeat something.
    Cons:Addicted to war, fast food and oil.

A strange feature not found in other humans, Americans are allergic to video cameras and will cry within 30 seconds of one being pointed at them.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the reasons how do you physically start crying for no reason,I can't do it,but as sure as night follows day you just know there's going to be tears and more than likely God gets thanked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm still embarrased for England, re: Diana......country lost it's mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Augmerson wrote: »
    Mike, usually I find your posts full of the wisdom. But not today. I'd say at some stage in your life you must have visited or lived in the US. I have too. That's a bit of a generalisation now to say they are all loud and emotional in the blink of an eye. Are some Americans like that? Yeah, and so are some Irish. I've met many Americans who were nothing but stoic rocks, calm and very collected and discreet.

(generalising on After Hours?, never!)

Well obviously all those who are not a whooping and a hollering are incredibly tight lipped, and may kill you with a knife if their narrow eyed stare doesn't.

In truth I'd say we're conditioned to think about Americans as I posted above by exposure to a certain type - the sort who populate Oprahs audience and make sure they are in the front row of a crowd when the news vans arrive to cover some event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Scarleh for dem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Shryke wrote: »
    Is conclusion too big a word for you that you need to reference that awful show?

Ah now, TBBT is great, even with its' canned laughter, predictable story lines, I really enjoy it!

To the point in hand, my American friends cry at the drop of a hat and clap at everything. They're well educated so it's not ignorance or something. Oh and they love me a great deal. Do you know how I know this? They're very vocal about their love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The native Americans (the real ones), now when they decide to wail, the new-age Americans look like they are laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ah now, TBBT is great, even with its' canned laughter, predictable story lines, I really enjoy it!

To the point in hand, my American friends cry at the drop of a hat and clap at everything. They're well educated so it's not ignorance or something. Oh and they love me a great deal. Do you know how I know this? They're very vocal about their love.

Could be OTT in an attempt to cover up the deep insincerity, a bit like the "have a nice day" from a person who wouldn't give a hoot if you were run over by a bus five minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Keepon

Augmerson wrote: »
    I've met many Americans who were nothing but stoic rocks, calm and very collected and discreet.

Me too. Lived in Minnesota for nearly five years. There wasn't any other kind there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Keepon wrote: »
    Me too. Lived in Minnesota for nearly five years. There wasn't any other kind there.

That's because they're all scandanavian in origin.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

"I just got off the bus! YEEEEAHAAAHHH! WOO-HOOO!! Go me!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

To be honest I find Americans the nicest people Ive ever had the pleasure of coming across (AH PUN NOT INTENDED).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

deisedave wrote: »

On a per capita basis, the suicide rate is higher in Ireland than it is in the US. [/pedantic]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Keepon wrote: »

Ah my gf is from Mini Soda!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

Being American seems very energy sapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I like Americans and I like how they are. I find them very entertaining. I know some here and they've always got a drama on the go.....adds a bit of excitement to my own mundane existence. They can find scandal and drama in the smallest things. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I shall use this thread as a platform to spread anti Americanism.

Lets talk about Israel................................

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I like Americans and I like how they are. I find them very entertaining. I know some here and they've always got a drama on the go.....adds a bit of excitement to my own mundane existence. They can find scandal and drama in the smallest things. I love it.

Are they gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This may have been mentioned before but the idea of clapping and cheering at the end of a film is just plain weird. If its a premiere and the director and some actors are there, grand. But going crazy "whooping and hollering" (Im going to start using that expression now) at a 5pm screening in your local cineplex? Just. Plain. Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Are they gay?

No they're female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The wailing americans Gawd, I blame sissy maryism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Have watched the tv show Man Vs Food a few times and it amazes me every time how the crowd cheers, yoops and claps while a fat guy tries to eat about 7 pounds of grease,meat and cheese in about 30 mins. Only in America can you be a hero by the amount of food you can stuff down your throat in the least time possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

You shouldn't even be on this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'd say it's more of a major city thing. The red states tend to have a tougher culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

You shouldn't even be on this board.

That's what they told the Jews in 1930/40's Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

He was spot on too. As always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Only in America can you be a hero by the amount of food you can stuff down your throat in the least time possible.
    Long may that continue to be the case!!:cool:

I wonder is there a country where you can become a hero by the amount of drink you can stuff down your throat in the least possible time?

......Can't think of any.:confused:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Long may that continue to be the case!!:cool:

I wonder is there a country where you can become a hero by the amount of drink you can stuff down your throat in the least possible time?

......Can't think of any.:confused:

Ireland dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I saw a bit of Joe Biden's speech and right on cue when he mentions dead soldiers he started getting "emotional" twas cringey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hitler

Hitler

Hitler

• Advertisement
Advertisement