Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving up coffee.

• 09-09-2012 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I would usually drink two large servings of strong coffee. One in the morning and another later on. I'm on day three without any.
    This wasn't really intentional but I'm thinking of continuing on. I'm feeling a bit down and rotten though, and I have a bit of a craving. I'm definitely more low and fuzzy but it might be a good idea to kick something that could have me strung out and maybe I would be better off.
    My diction is suffering appallingly. I'm despondent.
    Experiences and opinions from reformed coffee drinkers, or addicts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Don't give it up.

Coffee is the sweet black nectar of the gods from which we must all suckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm not sure two cups a day is enough to produce the withdrawal symptoms you describe. You weren't on the gargle last night by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Loads and loads of water OP, and sit it out is all you can do. You should be 100% by tomorrow I'd guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Don't do it.

Well don't do what I did anyway, give up coffee and replace it with red bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Bare with it.

And don't kill anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Not on the gargle and not two cups. Two of my own servings which are a bit more than that. Intake might be more equivalent to about 4 cups or so. I always make my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ah, well if you're not getting headaches things are looking good.

On holidays one year without noticing it I hadn't had coffee in a couple of days and was walking around with a dirty persistent headache. Had some coffee, puff, gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I gave up coffee for Lent one year, it wasn't too bad. I did get the shakes for a while though :p

Wouldn't do it again though, I love (decent) coffee too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Try the coffee patches. They're very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Apparently the best way to kick a caffeine addiction is to replace 1/3 of your regular coffee with decaff for three days. After the three days replace 2/3 of your coffee with decaff, again for three days. When those three days are up you can go ahead and replace the entire cup with decaff 'coz you're free baby!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you want real fun, cut caffeine and sugar out of your diet at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The smell of coffee makes me want to puke. I wonder how many people drink it to be 'cool' or (sort of) American.

"Oh, I can't get a thing done until I've my first coffee!!"

Eh, yeah you could if you tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The smell of coffee makes me want to puke. I wonder how many people drink it to be 'cool' or (sort of) american

I agree, they should be drinking tea pretending to be British!

Or maybe they like coffee? I've never looked at someone drinking coffee and thought "what a cool mofo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why would you want to cut coffee? Are there serious health issues around caffeine?

If I get to 3pm without one I get a terrible headache. It's definitely the caffeine though because I've been able to cure the headache with tea or coca cola.

So my advice: quit coffee, but take up caffeine tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

try snorting coffee granules, instant if thats all you can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The smell of coffee makes me want to puke. I wonder how many people drink it to be 'cool' or (sort of) American.

What a silly post.

I used to drink about 3-5 a day. Eventually I started getting a bit of stomach ache and couldn't face it anymore. Gave up. Don't find I miss it, tbh. Once in a while I'll have a small sweet one for the taste but that's it.
    On weekends I didn't drink any and never got withdrawal, though

if you want real fun, cut caffeine and sugar out of your diet at the same time

I've kicked sugar before, i've kicked booze, i've kicked cigarettes. I'm a masochist.
    Definitely lacking focus and feeling groggy at the moment. Can a persons brain sweat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I decided to quit a while back and there was zero effort involved. I just stopped drinking it.

Back drinking it now and to be honest I'd say other than the act of drinking it nothing else changed. I didnt feel better or worse or more or less tired.

For me its just something to do to break up the time. Beats smoking or eating anyway.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    I've kicked sugar before, i've kicked booze, i've kicked cigarettes. I'm a masochist.
    Definitely lacking focus and feeling groggy at the moment. Can a persons brain sweat?

Brain sweats are ok, its the badness being sweated out of your brain. But it will be reabsorbed if it isnt drained.

Have ya got a cordless drill handy ?

Scioch wrote: »
    I decided to quit a while back and there was zero effort involved. I just stopped drinking it.

Back drinking it now and to be honest I'd say other than the act of drinking it nothing else changed. I didnt feel better or worse or more or less tired.

For me its just something to do to break up the time. Beats smoking or eating anyway.

If it did nothing for you wouldn't have had to decide to quit tbh.
    The effects of caffeine are well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

i just realised i didnt drink coffee at all yesterday.
    but il get a headache soon id imagine.

theres too much bad coffee out there to make it easier to quit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Why would you want to. Especially 2 cups a day, that cant be too bad for you unless your throwing in 3 spoons of sugar on top of it. I used to drink lots of coffee, then i started working shift work and the amount doubled. Now I have cut down to one or two a day.

Shryke wrote: »
    If it did nothing for you wouldn't have had to decide to quit tbh.
    The effects of caffeine are well documented.

I was on a fitness kick and cutting down on sugar so I wasnt thinking I must lay off the coffee I just stopped drinking it same as I stopped eating coco pops. I'm sure it does have effects but for me it was never anything so noticeable as I felt I needed it for that reason.

And having quit smoking a couple of years back too I find it very similar in that the need to smoke was 90% habit and 10% addiction. Yes nicotine is addictive, its also well documented. But what I found in quitting is that a slight mood change is how that manifested itself while the difficulty in quitting was getting out of the physical habit of breaking up the day by smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The Starbucks mochafrappaleaatechino crowd piss me off. I genuinely love coffee and caffine in general. I'm a full-time student and work forty hours per week.

I love the taste. The smell. The warm feeling it makes in your stomach. The energy kick and the alertness it provides.

****ing hell. I love coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Snort a line of crushed lucozade tablet.
    Then smoke a chocolate/tobacco spliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I gave up tea a few months ago, I was drinking around twelve cups a day. Before I stopped drinking tea I stopped putting Sugar in it and I've since cut a lot of sugar out of my life, though it helps that I don't eat chocolate so I only snack on the occasional biscuit. Anyway the first few days were hellish, I was totally drained of energy in the mornings, couldn't focus my mind as well, then I started feeling great after a few days. I was off of it for two months. Only started drinking it again as I'd a café date, oh the torments we inflict upon ourselves for the opposite of sex :D

Advertisement