Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are way overrated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dawkins is the Jesus of Atheism, but with really crappy miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ok, since when are 50 Shades of Grey, Mrs Brown's Boys and Fleetwood Mac "People"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Robert Plant. I can't stand his voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ok, since when are 50 Shades of Grey, Mrs Brown's Boys and Fleetwood Mac "People"?

Since your face. That's why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Every talk show host that ever existed. I dont understand how these people get the jobs. All useless entertainers, crap interviewers yet there they are week after week doing the same old fake smile and shít interview and making a mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Birneybau wrote: »

Since your face. That's why!

Speaking of in your face and over-rated, Guinness' ridiculous marketing attempts at this "Arthur's Day" nonsense, "To Arthur" my àrse! Arthur Guinness would be spinning in his grave if he knew a french brewing company were using his name to pedal their muck water! It's nothing even resembling the original Guinness since Diageo took over

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Scioch wrote: »
    Every talk show host that ever existed. I dont understand how these people get the jobs. All useless entertainers, crap interviewers yet there they are week after week doing the same old fake smile and shít interview and making a mint.

Lay off Jonathon Ross and Graham Norton!!

As for overrated, it's not people here, but I hate the soaps, why is everyone mad about Corrie and Emmerdale, etc, god forbid you should make a phone call to any woman between 7 and 9 in the evening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes I know he had those two great moments as he does some good qualities. But overall he's been disastrous for Liverpool.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool?cat=football&type=article

Stats don't lie. He has no football brain, he tries far too many 60 yard passes that don't come off. He's simply a bad player who I wouldn't let near most premier league teams.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Black eyed peas they don't even pretend to try anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 whiskey_bar

Suas11 wrote: »
    Robert Plant. I can't stand his voice.

you aint right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

girl2 wrote: »
    Only person I hate is Kerry katona - I'll use any excuse to say that out loud. I know she's not overrated now, but she was once. I hate her.

I thought that was a bit mean because she is dead. But it appears it's another woman called Jade Goody that's dead. I think my brain just amalgamated those two into the one person up until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lets be honest, he's more well known for his atheist ideals than he is for his actual contributions to actual science!

Just because you're ignorant about science, doesn't mean the rest of us are. Dawkins has been a contributing biologist for decades. The majority of his books and papers have been about biology.
    His followers certainly put him up on a pedestal

He's an intelligent scientist, and a logical thinker - why wouldn't they hold him in high regard?
    I just did a quick Google there and found his page on Wikipedia, I genuinely hadn't known before that he made any contribution to the field of biology

Well then you clearly do not know enough about him to make an honest assessment of who he actually is. He is probably the most famous biologist on the planet, and has written an array of best selling books on biology - going all the way back to the 70's. The issue of religion has only recently gained popularity. It doesn't negate the fact that he is an impeccable scientist.

Just misinformed, ignorant nonsense like the rest of the Dawkins detractors. Next time, try actually learn something about him before you bash him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

marnie d wrote: »
    Lay off Jonathon Ross and Graham Norton!!

Both are bearable but too far on the rag end of the spectrum to be classed as actual talk shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

One Direction!

Watching them win 2 VMA Awards really did hammer home the fact that these guys are so much more vastly successful than me and they're the same age as me too. Based on what?

It's so depressing when you're basically doing sweat fuck all with your own life and watching those pack of fuckwits rake it in :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

Go outside and view the nearest 20 something Irish female.

Her.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Lets be honest, he's more well known for his atheist ideals than he is for his actual contributions to actual science!

Just because you're ignorant about science, doesn't mean the rest of us are. Dawkins has been a contributing biologist for decades. The majority of his books and papers have been about biology.
    His followers certainly put him up on a pedestal

He's an intelligent scientist, and a logical thinker - why wouldn't they hold him in high regard?
    I just did a quick Google there and found his page on Wikipedia, I genuinely hadn't known before that he made any contribution to the field of biology

Well then you clearly do not know enough about him to make an honest assessment of who he actually is. He is probably the most famous biologist on the planet, and has written an array of best selling books on biology - going all the way back to the 70's. The issue of religion has only recently gained popularity. It doesn't negate the fact that he is an impeccable scientist.

Just misinformed, ignorant nonsense like the rest of the Dawkins detractors. Next time, try actually learn something about him before you bash him.

Emm, yeah. And this is exactly the sort of nonsense I'd expect to hear from one of Dawkins fawning followers. This thread is about people that are over-rated, and you just helped to prove my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

His followers certainly put him up on a pedestal, I just did a quick Google there and found his page on Wikipedia, I genuinely hadn't known before that he made any contribution to the field of biology, it's just that nowadays you can't go anywhere without meeting an atheist who feels the need to ram it down your throat and then bleat on about how visionary Richard Dawkins is. So just while the name was in my head, I googled, and it was only then I found out he had anything to do with biology. So "world renowned biologist" is a bit of a stretch!

Don't let your ignorance of a topic dictate whether a person is well known or not. Your vitriol for the other aspects Dawkins's career is clearly clouding your judgement. A lot of ordinary joe soaps are not really up to date on advances in evolutionary biology, or any niche area in any aspect of academia and so obviously there will be a lot, like yourself who would not have heard of him. However in that world he is renowned for making advances in the subject area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

1ZRed wrote: »
    Niall Horan!

Watching him win 2 VMA Awards really did hammer home the fact that he's so much more vastly successful than me and he's the same age as me too. Based on what?

It's so depressing when you're basically doing sweat **** all watching that douchebag rake it in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Julia Roberts some people bang on about her like she is the Greatest actress ever maybe its just me but i dont get it

Oh and those bloody Kardashians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liam Neeson, the man can't act!

he's in a lot of crappy films lately but a bad actor he certainly isnt, Schindler's List?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Over-rated I thought meant critically acclaimed rather than commercially successful. No way on this earth are One Direction over-rated.

REM are IMO over-rated. Highly acclaimed yet I find them mostly well dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

gaelicred wrote: »
    Julia Roberts some people bang on about her like she is the Greatest actress ever maybe its just me but i dont get it

Oh and those bloody Kardashians

Indeed, particularly Kim Kardashian, no talent whatsoever but her sex tape gave her huge exposure and made her an international celeb. Famous for f*uking, and f*uking nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Kanye West. Not a patch on Jay-Z, Eminen or Dre! The guy can't dress either...

Emm, yeah. And this is exactly the sort of nonsense I'd expect to hear from one of Dawkins fawning followers. This thread is about people that are over-rated, and you just helped to prove my point.

I'm sorry if you consider correcting your grosse ignorance about his professional profile "nonsense". It's not my fault you've not picked up one of his array of best selling books on biology.

And yes, this thread is about people who are over-rated, but you have yet to elaborate on exactly how he is overrated. So what about him is overrated exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Stone Roses.

They made two great songs, and the rest was a pile of unlistenable tripe.

I get where you are coning from, but more than two great songs to be fair (waterfall, I am the ressurection, fools gold, what the world is waiting for and a few more), but they did make a lot of tripe.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

His followers certainly put him up on a pedestal, I just did a quick Google there and found his page on Wikipedia, I genuinely hadn't known before that he made any contribution to the field of biology, it's just that nowadays you can't go anywhere without meeting an atheist who feels the need to ram it down your throat and then bleat on about how visionary Richard Dawkins is. So just while the name was in my head, I googled, and it was only then I found out he had anything to do with biology. So "world renowned biologist" is a bit of a stretch!

Don't let your ignorance of a topic dictate whether a person is well known or not. Your vitriol for the other aspects Dawkins's career is clearly clouding your judgement. A lot of ordinary joe soaps are not really up to date on advances in evolutionary biology, or any niche area in any aspect of academia and so obviously there will be a lot, like yourself who would not have heard of him. However in that world he is renowned for making advances in the subject area.

Oh get off your hobby horse, I have no vitriol and bear no ill will towards the man. This thread is about people who are over-rated, and posts like this just show how over-rated Richard Dawkins is! I would consider Gregor Mendel, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking as having contributed more to, as you put it "the average Joe's" understanding of the world around them than this guy, who some atheists view as some sort of demi-God. I know plenty of people who follow no deity who don't need to label themselves atheists and don't give a toss about Richard Dawkins.

It's only those who seem to feel the need to pass themselves off as faux-intellectuals and dismiss those who don't happen to share their point of view as "ignorant average Joe's". If you didn't know a whole lot about computers, I wouldn't dismiss you as ignorant, I would accept that they're just not something that interests you, in the same way as atheism and pompous posturing doesn't interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Overrated?

Robbie Keane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Philip scofield not sure if i spelt that right but serious he is on every show on utv

Oh get off your hobby horse, I have no vitriol and bear no ill will towards the man. This thread is about people who are over-rated, and posts like this just show how over-rated Richard Dawkins is!

No, it doesn't. It just shows that there are people willing to take a few minutes of their spare time to enlighten you. You know, the same person who an hour ago didn't even know Dawkins was a world-renowned biologist but now believes that they are in a prime position to call him overrated.

Remember - you stated this:

To which I pointed out that the overwhelming majority of his books (many of them best sellers) have been about biology, and that he has been a leading evolutionary biologist for decades.

I don't think you understand what the word "overrated" means. It doesn't mean "Someone I don't like, so I'll just say they are overrated". It means, that something a person does which would be casually viewed as a mark of excellence - you find has not lived up to their reputation. You then quantify the remark by elaborating why exactly he does not.

So far you've attacked his "followers", but you really haven't criticised any of his actual work itself. Therefore, your post is going against the grain of this thread.
    I would consider Gregor Mendel, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking as having contributed more to, as you put it "the average Joe's" understanding of the world around them than this guy

Hold up - a few minutes ago you had no idea about his scientific contributions, and now you're ready to tell us exactly where he falls into the grand scheme of things with respect to scientists.

Dawkins knowledge of evolution has far superseded Darwin, and his books are a much more educational read than On the Origin of Species. (Which I've read, along with a number of books from Dawkins).
    , who some atheists view as some sort of demi-God. I know plenty of people who follow no deity who don't need to label themselves atheists and don't give a toss about Richard Dawkins.

So now your issue is with atheists in general? So you admit, you've just used this thread to have a go at atheists? Well done. Moreover - holding someone in high-regard because they are a well-respected scientist doesn't mean they are viewed as a "demi-god". Nobody prays to statues of Dawkins, I assure you of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Drafty122

Nicki Minaj is fukin shîte..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Nicki minaj
    Drake
    Lil wayne
    Any current pop icon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Overrated?

Robbie Keane!

anti dub are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

pathtohome wrote: »

Her.

If she seems rude, it's probably just because she's freaked out by all the men opening their doors to "view" her.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

Any so called reality tv 'star'

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

pathtohome wrote: »

Her.

..why? Pretty large group of people there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭ThatGuyHughesy

Zooey Deschanel

Used to like her but then I realised she is the exact same person in every movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Overrated?

Robbie Keane!

anti dub are we?
    Nope, the amount of money spent on him over his career, you cant say he's worth all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fleetwood Mac.

Also when did we decide it's acceptable to like Fleetwood Mac again?

I think Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac are certainly underrated to the point of being completely unknown.

Some Yoke wrote: »
    ..why? Pretty large group of people there
    Read his previous posts for a laugh. Basically he states that plain, fat Irish women have men falling all over them. This is untrue but the lie makes him feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Cameron Diaz.

Robbie Williams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Females:

Britney Spears, Demi Lovato:

Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, Niomi Campbell, Cheryl Cole, Kristen Stewart!

Males:

Roger Moore, Gary Barlow, Tom Cruise, Robert Pattinson, Ant & Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

James Corden.

I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand the fat cnut.

benwavner wrote: »

That Kristin Stewart, she's not even that good looking! Fair enough, she's better looking than me, but my cats arse can act better!

I don't know what you're talking about there. Very diverse actress if you ask me.

Demi who?

Just because a load of kids like some shyte act doesn't make it over-rated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Madam_X wrote: »
    Demi who?

Just because a load of kids like some shyte act doesn't make it over-rated.

She's not an act - she's thinks she's a professional good singer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gareth Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Posh Spice the designer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Giovani Trapatoni...

Really?

What.
    The.
    F*uk.

James Dean (the pornstar) He came out of nowhere (:P) but he's got quite a mainstream following of teenage girls and the likes. It's pretty confusing.

Still better than One Direction! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Adele, Cheryl Cole, Rihanna, Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson

I'm sure there are more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement