Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are way overrated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Stone Roses.

They made two great songs, and the rest was a pile of unlistenable tripe.

very curious to know what you think are the 2 great songs?! i'm going to take a guess at 'made of stone' and 'waterfall'

Liam Neeson, the man can't act!
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais.

Seems like some one, some where decided he 'was funny' without watching him for any length of time whatsoever!

This rumour seems to have stuck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Thank god shes not as popular anymore but at one stage Megan fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tommy Tiernan

Sold lots of DVDs but he's not even close to funny imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ricky Gervais - he is NOT funny. The Emperor has no clothes.

Russell Brand - interesting for about 15 minutes but just an attention seeking obnoxious loudmouth one trick pony.

Anyone who is gushed over in the Sindo "social diary" pages - more like social diarrhoea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Emm, yeah. And this is exactly the sort of nonsense I'd expect to hear from one of Dawkins fawning followers. This thread is about people that are over-rated, and you just helped to prove my point.

I'm sorry if you consider correcting your grosse ignorance about his professional profile "nonsense". It's not my fault you've not picked up one of his array of best selling books on biology.

And yes, this thread is about people who are over-rated, but you have yet to elaborate on exactly how he is overrated. So what about him is overrated exactly?

Well it's just my personal opinion is all dlofnep, I certainly hadn't meant to sound like I was dismissive of ALL atheists, it just so happens that for the "average Joe", Richard Dawkins is more well known for his promotion of atheism than his contribution to man's understanding of the world around him. My posts were meant in the spirit of the thread in the same way as other posters were naming off celebrities and so on that would be well known that others would consider not worthy of the recognition they have garnered.

I wasn't basing my opinion on his contribution to biology, I was merely basing my opinion on his contribution to atheism. I think some people regard him far too highly is all. As I said, most people who have no deity don't wouldn't credit Richard Dawkins with their lack of belief, but those that use his name to promote their atheist ideals are the kind of people that annoy me is all, and it is these kinds of people that have me think "Jesus, you dismiss others for their belief in a deity, yet you look up to this guy as some sort of a God! The irony!". That was all, it wasn't meant to start any kind of a theological or scientific debate. I do find it interesting though how there are posters on boards quick to jump to his defence as opposed to anyone else in this thread who others consider over-rated. Perhaps I should have considered the story of the emperors new clothes before I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Emm, yeah. And this is exactly the sort of nonsense I'd expect to hear from one of Dawkins fawning followers. This thread is about people that are over-rated, and you just helped to prove my point.

I'm sorry if you consider correcting your grosse ignorance about his professional profile "nonsense". It's not my fault you've not picked up one of his array of best selling books on biology.

And yes, this thread is about people who are over-rated, but you have yet to elaborate on exactly how he is overrated. So what about him is overrated exactly?

Well it's just my personal opinion is all dlofnep, I certainly hadn't meant to sound like I was dismissive of ALL atheists, it just so happens that for the "average Joe", Richard Dawkins is more well known for his promotion of atheism than his contribution to man's understanding of the world around him. My posts were meant in the spirit of the thread in the same way as other posters were naming off celebrities and so on that would be well known that others would consider not worthy of the recognition they have garnered.

I wasn't basing my opinion on his contribution to biology, I was merely basing my opinion on his contribution to atheism. I think some people regard him far too highly is all. As I said, most people who have no deity don't wouldn't credit Richard Dawkins with their lack of belief, but those that use his name to promote their atheist ideals are the kind of people that annoy me is all, and it is these kinds of people that have me think "Jesus, you dismiss others for their belief in a deity, yet you look up to this guy as some sort of a God! The irony!". That was all, it wasn't meant to start any kind of a theological or scientific debate. I do find it interesting though how there are posters on boards quick to jump to his defence as opposed to anyone else in this thread who others consider over-rated. Perhaps I should have considered the story of the emperors new clothes before I posted.
    For a sense of balance, should we not also perhaps include god in this thread

Lelantos wrote: »
    For a sense of balance, should we not also perhaps include god in this thread

At least I was talking about people who exist, so God, while no doubt over-rated, couldn't be included here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Jesus is probably the most overrated fella that ever existed (if he existed).

I'm sure he was an ok bloke n all but talk about putting a guy on a pedestal. :rolleyes:

Scioch wrote: »

I'm sure he was an ok bloke n all but talk about putting a guy on a pedestal. :rolleyes:
    Or a cross ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Georgia Salpa. She's average at best

Lelantos wrote: »
    Scioch wrote: »

Or a cross ;)

I think you "nailed" it there!

*badum tish* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Lar Corbett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan

his first dvd is good, after that its just shouty insanity. Jason Byrne too, crap comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Oh get off your hobby horse, I have no vitriol and bear no ill will towards the man. This thread is about people who are over-rated, and posts like this just show how over-rated Richard Dawkins is! I would consider Gregor Mendel, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking as having contributed more to, as you put it "the average Joe's" understanding of the world around them than this guy, who some atheists view as some sort of demi-God. I know plenty of people who follow no deity who don't need to label themselves atheists and don't give a toss about Richard Dawkins.

It's only those who seem to feel the need to pass themselves off as faux-intellectuals and dismiss those who don't happen to share their point of view as "ignorant average Joe's". If you didn't know a whole lot about computers, I wouldn't dismiss you as ignorant, I would accept that they're just not something that interests you, in the same way as atheism and pompous posturing doesn't interest me.

Speaking of hobby horses you should take heed of your own advice. Its clear you dislike him because of his views on atheism. It is you who believe that people only admire him because of his views on deities rather than science and its this view that makes you hold the position that he is overrated. It is all from your own perception that you are denigrating the man. Take a look at the plaudits the man has received from the scientific community. The only person who sees him as a god are the people you have invented in your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Georgia Salpa. She's average at best

Right yeah, so if she's average at best then that must mean you find 95% of women to be dog ugly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Pauly D as a DJ. Watched that show of his, and he's absolutely adored. Has a residency in Vegas and is signed by 50p, and he's completely bollocks. He plays off a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Right yeah, so if she's average at best then that must mean you find 95% of women to be dog ugly so.

No actually, I don't? How did you come up with that statistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The hammers

LordSutch wrote: »
    Chris O'Dowd is very overated in my opinion, a bit like an overated Borat type character (Sacha Baron Cohen).
    He is brilliant in the IT Crowd and seemed to be very good in Bridesmaids (didnt see it myself..)

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Speaking of hobby horses you should take heed of your own advice. Its clear you dislike him because of his views on atheism. It is you who believe that people only admire him because of his views on deities rather than science and its this view that makes you hold the position that he is overrated. It is all from your own perception that you are denigrating the man. Take a look at the plaudits the man has received from the scientific community. The only person who sees him as a god are the people you have invented in your own head.

No what's actually clear is that you are just twisting what I never said to suit your own opinion. I never once said I dislike Richard Dawkins, that would require I actually care about the man. I don't.

What I am saying is that those who promote the ideals of atheism and use Richard Dawkins to do so, are giving him far too much credit for promoting the ideals of atheism. I was not speaking with regard to his contribution to science, I was speaking with regard to some people's view of him as "the godfather of modern atheism" so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

No actually, I don't? How did you come up with that statistic?

I pulled it out of my ass, obviously. But I rarely see women as good looking as her around Dublin. Many, many people think she's stunning. A twat, definitely. But I think your standards are a little high if you're gonna be calling the likes of her "average".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

LizT wrote: »
    Lil Wayne, Drake, Nicki Minaj et al.

How anyone thinks the tripe they produce is music is beyond me.

They were never rated in the first place leaving aside sales figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Stone Roses.

They made two great songs, and the rest was a pile of unlistenable tripe.

Rubbish!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan

He seemed to go off the boil for a while but I thought his latest DVD is quite good.

Paul O Connell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Since your face. That's why!

Ouch! : p

Paul O Connell
    Ah now! Even Richard Dawkins won't fck with this deity! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Adam and Eve ....flipping eck , they have a bit of sex in the local park and it's all over Hello magazine the next day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Paul O Connell

One of the greatest locks to play the game! You wouldnt happen to be from leinster:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Stephen Hawkins, he is not the greatest mind on Earth, his contribution to physics and the understanding of the evaporation of black holes is interesting and important but it is not even nobel worthy. But he marketed well, that voice, his disability and he is a good writer, but that is about all. He is no Galileo Newton or Einstein.

Beckham, mentioned before and I am making sure he is mentioned again, a minor talent who looks good and that is it.

James Joyce and this is coming from someone who actually finished Ulysses, its utter drilge and hardly a page turner, it was the first book done of its type. It showed the universe of a mans soul, its being done since a 1000 times and much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Most of the "dj's" that work for 2fm and rte 1 ,overpaid and overrated

Colmustard wrote: »

James Joyce and this is coming from someone who actually finished Ulysses, its utter drilge and hardly a page turner, it was the first book done of its type. It showed the universe of a mans soul, its being done since a 1000 times and much better.

Have you read the Joyce letters? Fifty shades of shìte has nothing on the original dirtbird! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't know if he has been mentioned in this thread..
    ..but Obama anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

maxfresh wrote: »
    Most of the "dj's" that work for 2fm and rte 1 ,overpaid and overrated

2fm. Nuff said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

wprathead wrote: »
    Don't know if he has been mentioned in this thread..
    ..but Obama anyone?

Mitt Romney! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Biggins wrote: »
    Mitt Romney! :P

:D

don't get me wrong, I like Obama
    but some people treat him like he is a Super Jesus or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Bill Hicks

The guy may have had a talent for calling out hypocrisy, mediocrity and the emptiness at the centre of modern consumer culture, but he rarely said anything that really cracked you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Stephen Hawking. Apart from struggling all through his life pursuing is science with his paralysing condition, his actually contribution to science is overrated compared to the contribution of other physicists of the 20th century.

He was supposed to be the second coming, but Bill Clinton got there before him...

All over Monica Lewinsky's dress! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Lets be honest, he's more well known for his atheist ideals than he is for his actual contributions to actual science!

Just because you're ignorant about science, doesn't mean the rest of us are. Dawkins has been a contributing biologist for decades. The majority of his books and papers have been about biology.
    His followers certainly put him up on a pedestal

He's an intelligent scientist, and a logical thinker - why wouldn't they hold him in high regard?
    I just did a quick Google there and found his page on Wikipedia, I genuinely hadn't known before that he made any contribution to the field of biology

Well then you clearly do not know enough about him to make an honest assessment of who he actually is. He is probably the most famous biologist on the planet, and has written an array of best selling books on biology - going all the way back to the 70's. The issue of religion has only recently gained popularity. It doesn't negate the fact that he is an impeccable scientist.

Just misinformed, ignorant nonsense like the rest of the Dawkins detractors. Next time, try actually learn something about him before you bash him.

I don't think your claim that Dawkins is overrated has been proven, given that you didn't know he was a major hitter in evolutionary biology. In fact, that would suggest that he's underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Batman is a rubbish superhero, Gotham City would be much better off with either Superman or Ironman.

Stephen Hawking. Apart from struggling all through his life pursuing is science with his paralysing condition, his contribution to science is overrated compared to other physicists of the 20th century.

I would politely dis-agree.
    His approaching and handling of a subject on which most of use would never usually delve into, has (besides possible science advancement) brought forth public discussion of a heavenly matter - one that while might be wrong at times, depending on what side of the debating fence you are - has opened to the world more possibilities about the nature of our existence and where we are heading in future.

:D

Yea, thats America for you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thought of a couple more...

Glenda Gilson
    Roseanne Davidson
    Bill Cullen

Like shooting fish in a barrel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Rowan Keating overrated him self.
    Album sales 181, LOL

buyer95 wrote: »
    One of the greatest locks to play the game! You wouldnt happen to be from leinster:rolleyes:

no im not from Leinster. Munster actually

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scaletec

How has nobody mentioned amanda feckin brunker here yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

scaletec wrote: »

I don't think anyone's ever rated her as much, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Because you have to be rated at something to be overrated!

• Advertisement

She don't ever come into the equation to begin with!
    Its a given!

Advertisement