Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are way overrated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

CommanderC wrote: »
    50 Shades of Grey.

People?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OP needs to get a grip. Alicia Keys and Muhammad Ali overrated? Nah, don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

OP needs to get a grip. Alicia Keys and Muhammad Ali overrated? Nah, don't think so.
    I dunno, Alicia Keys is hyped up because she's one of the few African American women who can play an instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

Lelantos wrote: »
    I dunno, Alicia Keys is hyped up because she's one of the few African American women who can play an instrument.

What about the Whoopi cushion?

What about the Whoopi cushion?
    True, she was playing with Ted Dansons instrument for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Will Ferrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Beyonce - over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Biggins wrote: »
    I would politely dis-agree.
    His approaching and handling of a subject on which most of use would never usually delve into, has (besides possible science advancement) brought forth public discussion of a heavenly matter - one that while might be wrong at times, depending on what side of the debating fence you are - has opened to the world more possibilities about the nature of our existence and where we are heading in future.

I'm talking about actual scientific achievement, not his reiteration of knowledge. Apart form publicizing science his actual contribution to physics is overshadowed by many scientists who weren't/aren't given as much credence. Hawkings in only really known for his work on blackholes, their decay and trying to compare their extreme density to that of the Universe at the Big Bang. Some of the theories he defended have even been proved wrong.

There are many brilliant physicists, many of whom have made breakthroughs in their respective fields, yet they're given little if any attention. Many even question whether or not Einstein has been too overrated as a lot of his works are derived from the works of Boltzmann and Lorentz at the end of the 19th century. For example, his famous e=mc^2 is actually less than a one page long algebraic deduction using Lorentz transformations. Hawking, as with his other contemporary Sagan, are primary known for publicizing science but not actually making massive contribution to it.

As with many things nowadays, fame seems to outweigh actual achievement and contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

U2, sooooo many mediocre songs

Barack Obama

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverly, Danny Welbeck, Micheal Carrick, Patrice Evra, Javier Hernandez,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm talking about actual scientific achievement, not his reiteration of knowledge. Apart form publicizing science his actual contribution to physics is overshadowed by many scientists who weren't/aren't given as much credence. Hawkings in only really known for his work on blackholes, their decay and trying to compare their extreme density to that of the Universe at the Big Bang. Some of the theories he defended have even been proved wrong.

...And he has correct some stuff on the tail of science showing where there was imperfections.

I take your point about these others being just as good and maybe providing in the invention areas of science, however it would be remiss of the public not to acknowledge his contribution not just to the invention/help towards possible science advancements but his achievements to bring these areas to the eyes of the public in manner which we can further more understand.

We can have all the advancements in the world by what I will call 'back-room boys and girls' (and thats NOT to knock their work - they are a credit to human achievement) but in trying to understand how meaningful and deep some of their work is, the communication process which Stephen H. has used to the best of his ability, successfully so that minds of the world can further grasp the heights which he and his fellow people are trying to reach, cannot be underestimated.

In other worlds, one can have all the brains in the world but they are useless sometimes if one cannot communicate what your trying to do or why!
    Stephen H. has done a good balance of both and for that he should alone, be commended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

John Doe1 wrote: »
    U2, sooooo many mediocre songs

Barack Obama

80's U2 were good, to a lesser extent 90's U2, it was downhill from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

jessiejam wrote: »
    Giovani Trapatoni...

Really?

What.
    The.
    F*uk.

Maybe when he initially got the job. Somehow I don't think now. Jedward have to be included here. No talent whatsoever.

billyhead wrote: »
    Maybe when he initially got the job. Somehow I don't think now. Jedward have to be included here. No talent whatsoever.

Lets be honest, anything that Simon Cowell has eventually manufactured into a over-hyped, PR made successful, sole or group artist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Eagles
    Neil Young

...they come from the same cloth eared place as Daniel O Donnell (and he knows he's crap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I dont understand how anyone can claim Einstein was overrated. His scientific contribution does the talking for him and its that that he's famous for. His work changed physics itself.

Hawking its an odd one. He's famous for his popularisation of science but he still held the lucasian chair and made a great contribution to science. He had his achievements and did his work and gained prominence in his field. Yes he's also popular for other reasons but every scientist who contributes isnt entitled to fame and best selling books. So didnt Hawking rob them of anything nor is he viewed as their better for his popular work.

He and Sagan are just more known for their popular work. Doesnt lessen their contributions or make them anything they are not either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I pulled it out of my ass, obviously. But I rarely see women as good looking as her around Dublin. Many, many people think she's stunning. A twat, definitely. But I think your standards are a little high if you're gonna be calling the likes of her "average".

Maybe look outside Dublin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Georgia Salpa. She's average at best

I'd like to see who your banging if you think Salpa is average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Kurt Cobain mentioned yet?

Definitely overrated imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Eagles
    Neil Young

...they come from the same cloth eared place as Daniel O Donnell (and he knows he's crap).

Did you just compare Neil Young to Daniel O'Donnell? :confused:

• Advertisement

Scioch wrote: »
    I dont understand how anyone can claim Einstein was overrated. His scientific contribution does the talking for him and its that that he's famous for. His work changed physics itself.

Hawking its an odd one. He's famous for his popularisation of science but he still held the lucasian chair and made a great contribution to science. He had his achievements and did his work and gained prominence in his field. Yes he's also popular for other reasons but every scientist who contributes isnt entitled to fame and best selling books. So didnt Hawking rob them of anything nor is he viewed as their better for his popular work.

He and Sagan are just more known for their popular work. Doesnt lessen their contributions or make them anything they are not either.
    Sagan was a brilliant mind, he brought science to the people while still contributing to discoveries about planets atmospheres & densities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Sagan was a brilliant mind, he brought science to the people while still contributing to discoveries about planets atmospheres & densities.

Absolutely and he's not that well known outside of that area. Most people I know wouldnt know who he was. Unlike Hawking who's known by everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

The Eagles
    Neil Young

Everyone is entitled to an opinion ...except you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Suas11 wrote: »

Did he just compare Neil Young to The Eagles?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Hector. What were RTE thinking giving him a slot on 2fm?! And I dunno how he maintains it since all the people I've talked to avoid his show in the mornings.

Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson.

Angelina Jolie.

Enda Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bernard Dunne conned thousands into thinking he was a decent boxer.........

I absolutely loved "Cosmos"when I first saw it.
    Its still stands today as a pioneering TV pivotal event/series.
    ootbitb wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion ...except you.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Did he just compare Neil Young to The Eagles?

Lol, I don't like the Eagles but it's not as bad as being compared to Daniel O'Donnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Suas11 wrote: »

Daniel's version of "Harvest Moon" is better than the original. As for the Eagles, "Hotel California" is used as a methadone substitute / tool of torture in certain parts of North Korea.

As someone said earlier, to be over-rated you have to have been rated by someone at sometime or another therefore why mention Ronan Keating, Kelly Katonic or anything thats ever appeared on Celebrity GAA Manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Madonna
    Elvis
    Frank Sinatra

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

Jesus of Nazareth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

jessiejam wrote: »
    Maybe look outside Dublin;)

Most people living in Dublin are from outside Dublin. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

it just so happens that for the "average Joe", Richard Dawkins is more well known for his promotion of atheism than his contribution to man's understanding of the world around him.

Silly question, but doesn't this mean you should consider him to be underrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Bill Hicks

The guy may have had a talent for calling out hypocrisy, mediocrity and the emptiness at the centre of modern consumer culture, but he rarely said anything that really cracked you up.

Stewart Lee as well. A mono-toned, unfunny whiner with a nasty streak and a superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Wolfey

Can't believe people are recomending Stone Roses, Neil Young, Arctic Monkeys, etc. The Stone Roses are one of the most important bands of their generation and have inspired many of the indie bands that followed.

And LOL at comparing Neil Young to Daniel O'Donnell... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

it just so happens that for the "average Joe", Richard Dawkins is more well known for his promotion of atheism than his contribution to man's understanding of the world around him.

Silly question, but doesn't this mean you should consider him to be underrated?

No such thing as a silly question, but no, it doesn't mean I consider him under-rated in terms of his scientific contributions. I know nothing of his scientific contributions to make that judgement. I'll try and clear this up once and for all-

In terms of his contribution to ATHEISM, I find that SOME people, who profess to be atheists, credit Richard Dawkins with far too much influence in the atheist movement, as if there were no such thing as atheists before Richard Dawkins came along. It is THESE people I have a problem with. Not Richard Dawkins himself, and certainly not atheism.

Does this make my position any clearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

in music, nirvana 100%. were good but cobain's suicide made the hype overbearing

also in music and stay with me on this.... the beatles! ok, i think they were unreal and probably one of the best bands ever but the way some people talk it's like they think all music should have stopped after they split up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Daniel's version of "Harvest Moon" is better than the original. As for the Eagles, "Hotel California" is used as a methadone substitute / tool of torture in certain parts of North Korea.

As someone said earlier, to be over-rated you have to have been rated by someone at sometime or another therefore why mention Ronan Keating, Kelly Katonic or anything thats ever appeared on Celebrity GAA Manager.

Neil Young is so diverse in his musical abilities that picking one track from thousands is hardly a fair assessment of his music.

Seems to me you know more about Coronation Street than good music.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Stone Roses.

They made two great songs, and the rest was a pile of unlistenable tripe.

The self titled album was recorded 24 years ago and it still sounds fresh today.

Unlistenable tripe? Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ADonoghue

Stephen GERRARD is the only WORLD CLASS PLAYER in the current England Team and I bet many Teams would love to have him , even the horrible "Mankcs" , Rooney couldn't lace his boots a shame the latter was born in Liverpool .

Mohammed Ali was something special promoted boxing to a higher level he was a great ambassador to his sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Damien Hirst
    Banksy
    Tracey Emmin (I do like some of her stuff) but not the repeats which is the bulk of her art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ADonoghue wrote: »
    Stephen GERRARD is the only WORLD CLASS PLAYER in the current England Team and I bet many Teams would love to have him , even the horrible "Mankcs" , Rooney couldn't lace his boots a shame the latter was born in Liverpool .

GERRARD's boots have velcro straps? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Overrated?

Robbie Keane!

anti dub are we?
    Nope, the amount of money spent on him over his career, you cant say he's worth all of it.

Spurs fans will tell you otherwise. Given the way many Ireland supporters treat Keane, I would say he's under-rated.

Messi. Now he is over-rated. Don't get me wrong, definitely one of the finest footballers of his generation, arguably ever. But I wish to fùck people would shut up about it for 5 mins.

Sunday night and Messi bangs in 5 against Getafe or some such and FB is full of "Messi messi messi magic", just fùck off.

The same people seem like they would kill Keane in a fit of rage if they ever met him. Seems wrong to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

People don't over rate Messi. They do give him the highest accolade possible when they say he's the greatest footballer playing today...

Because he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

In other worlds, one can have all the brains in the world but they are useless sometimes if one cannot communicate what your trying to do or why!

Are you twisting what I said or are you subtly implying that one can come up with all the discoveries they like, write as many pear reviewed papers as they like, apply as much of theirs own discovers to the real world as they like, contribute massively to the bank of human knowledge but all that is useless unless they get the medias attention on it or write a non-technical book that the majority of the public can understand?

Grayditch wrote: »
    People don't over rate Messi. They do give him the highest accolade possible when they say he's the greatest footballer playing today...

Because he is.

I agree. He is definitely one of the best we'll ever see. I said that in my post but you've proven my point and felt the need to tell me again.

I don't need to be reminded about it every 5 seconds. It's the constant spunking adulation that annoys me. As another poster said about Bob Marley, I'm getting sick to death of him because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

So, you're implying you can come up with all the discoveries you like, write as many pear reviewed papers as you like, apply as much of your own discovers to the real world as you like, contribute massively to the bank of human knowledge but all that is useless unless you get the medias attention on it or write a non-technical book that the majority of the public can understand?

Well it's not much good discovering these things if you can't relate to people what you have discovered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

keith16 wrote: »

Because he is.

I agree. He is definitely one of the best we'll ever see. I said that in my post but you've proven my point and felt the need to tell me again.

I don't need to be reminded about it every 5 seconds. It's the constant spunking adulation that annoys me. As another poster said about Bob Marley, I'm getting sick to death of him because of it.

I didn't prove your point at all. With respect, I think you need to recognise the difference between overrated and over lauded.

I'm not trying to be pedantic either, I've often told people to stop pi55ing in my ear about Messi.

keith16 wrote: »

Because he is.

I didn't prove your point at all. With respect, I think you need to recognise the difference between overrated and over lauded.

Getting into semantics now. That slight subtlety aside, my point still stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement