Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are way overrated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Grayditch wrote: »
    keith16 wrote: »
    Grayditch wrote: »
    People don't over rate Messi. They do give him the highest accolade possible when they say he's the greatest footballer playing today...

Because he is.

I agree. He is definitely one of the best we'll ever see. I said that in my post but you've proven my point and felt the need to tell me again.

I don't need to be reminded about it every 5 seconds. It's the constant spunking adulation that annoys me. As another poster said about Bob Marley, I'm getting sick to death of him because of it.

I didn't prove your point at all. With respect, I think you need to recognise the difference between overrated and over lauded.

I'm not trying to be pedantic either, I've often told people to stop pi55ing in my ear about Messi.
    When Messi does it on the international stage, then he can be talked about as the greatest, until then, nope, close but no ceegar!

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Mozart. One or 2 good songs but no great albums, and he never cracked America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Noel and Liam Gallagher. I just cannot get into their music. Don't know what it is about it, but I just don't find it moving or anything. It just leaves me cold and unfeeling. It can actually be annoying on a night to hear "Wonderwall" or "Don't Look Back In Anger" played ad nauseum.

Jimi Hendrix. His influence is undoubtable, no argument there. He was an amazing guitarist, no argument there. But the way some people talk about him, he was the only guitarist in history to matter. While he doubtless influenced them, he was overtaken and eclipsed by several followers who people don't respect as much (see: Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Adrian Vandenberg, John Sykes, et al). The main reason Hendrix is seen as so good is more for the influence he had rather than his playing. I have ultimate respect for him, but I don't think he is the be-all and end-all that some people think he was.

And also, anyone who's said Robbie Keane... where would the ROI team be without the 54 international goals he's scored? He's the highest scoring international footballer from the British Isles, recently having overtaken Bobby Charlton. I'll admit there are some games where he'd drive you demented by fluffing his lines, but as an out-and-out goalscorer, Ireland has not (and quite possibly will not) ever see the likes of him again. How many times has he pulled it out of the fire for Ireland? How many times has he come to the rescue when nobody else possibly could have done? Yeah, he's obviously past his best now, but even his goalscoring record at club level is very impressive. He is an experienced head and knows the game and can get into those positions where he'll lash a goal in and rescue the day, as he has done on countless occasions.

Paul Kimmage? A legend in his own mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Daniel O Donnell
    How do people listen to his filth. Its quite disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Not overrated anymore but Berte Ahearn, Brian Cowan the bankers Seanie Fitz and his ilk along with the regulators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Simon Cowell pisses on people's dreams from an elevated height at an over produced, over hyped karaoke contest and is paid millions to do it while being lauded as 'telling it like it is'.

He's just a troll, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

My ex. :rolleyes:

My ex. :rolleyes:
    No, she's def not over rated 10/10 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

DazMarz wrote: »

Jimi Hendrix. His influence is undoubtable, no argument there. He was an amazing guitarist, no argument there. But the way some people talk about him, he was the only guitarist in history to matter. While he doubtless influenced them, he was overtaken and eclipsed by several followers who people don't respect as much (see: Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Adrian Vandenberg, John Sykes, et al). The main reason Hendrix is seen as so good is more for the influence he had rather than his playing. I have ultimate respect for him, but I don't think he is the be-all and end-all that some people think he was.

Well that's probably a lot to do with them genuinely liking his music as well as revering his ability.

Those other guitarists you mentioned? Huge talent, no question, I have massive admiration for their ability and only wish I could play like them. But you couldn't pay me to listen to Steve Vai, Van Halen, Rhoads or Malmsteen. Far too cheesy imo. Don't know the other lads, will check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The likes of Malmsteen might be better technically than Hendrix but Hendrix is the better artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Well it's not much good discovering these things if you can't relate to people what you have discovered!

That's not the point I made earlier. I stated that Hawkings is overrated in terms of his scientific achievements and then Biggins twisted what I said. You don't have to tell the entire public what you have discovered in order to get your message across.

If you publish a scientific paper, it gets published (if you're lucky) in peer reviewed journal/magazines/gazettes, not in national newspapers. You're not obliged, nor need, to ring up your local news station to tell them about your discovery unless you feel it's absolutely necessary or you've discovered something absolutely revolutionary.

You simple publish a paper of your discovery, it gets peer reviewed sometimes others might repeat your experiment to make sure it works and once that is done it may be seen by the wider scientific community as valid and if the media gets whiff of it (as it's not just academics who can access peer reviewed journals) and think the public might find it interesting then it might get a mention in a newspaper. It certainly does not mean that what you discovered isn't useful, it just means that the media doesn't find it interesting enough, but most of the time the media is not a proper judge on these matters. You don't get the public to decide what the verdict is in a murder trial.

For instance, if you discovered, say, a way to make computer run faster, the chances of that being mentioned in a newspaper are less than, say, the discovery of an extra planet in the solar system.

In terms of usefulness, the former would arguably be more useful than the latter, but the more interesting in the eyes of the wider public would probably be the discovery of the new planet.

You can see, therefore, the subjectivity of usefulness. The newspaper might view the story about the extra planet as being more interesting and therefore satisfy their readers making it more useful for the newspaper as its more likely to keep them reading, while on the other hand a computer magazine/journal (which mightn't be read by as many people) might view the discovery of a new way to make computers run faster as being more interesting to their readers.

The point is, the media isn't the best gauge of what is actually useful. Therefore fame isn't the best gauge of actual contribution or of its usefulness thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Larianne wrote: »
    Keira Knightley wears her costumes well but she's still a pain in the face to watch.

Blasphemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Scioch wrote: »
    Hawking its an odd one. He's famous for his popularisation of science but he still held the lucasian chair and made a great contribution to science. He had his achievements and did his work and gained prominence in his field. Yes he's also popular for other reasons but every scientist who contributes isnt entitled to fame and best selling books. So didnt Hawking rob them of anything nor is he viewed as their better for his popular work.

He and Sagan are just more known for their popular work. Doesnt lessen their contributions or make them anything they are not either.

I didn't say that other scientists who contributed more to science are entitled to fame, but that Hawking's contribution to actual science as a whole rather than public discourse of science is less than many of his contemporaries.

Blasphemy

I think she means her acting more than anything, she's gorgeous to look at alright but christ she's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I think she means her acting more than anything, she's gorgeous to look at alright but christ she's awful.

How she gorgeous to look at. Please!!! What is wrong with you????? :eek:

girl2 wrote: »

:D

I'm not sure but I think it's heterosexuality. Sorry about that!

I'm not sure but I think it's heterosexuality. Sorry about that!

No. No no no. Cos she's like a boy! She's totally like a boy! That's not heterosexuality! Really!

So sorry :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

You're a girl. You wouldn't understand.

No. No no no. Cos she's like a boy! She's totally like a boy! That's not heterosexuality! Really!

So sorry :confused:

Yeah, someone put a bag over that young ones head, quick! :pac:

Keira+Knightley+02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I said Keira wears the costumes well (that green dress in Atonement was stunning) but I don't think much of her otherwise. Actually, I find her quite similar to Kristen Stewart, always has a face on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Eminem- One good album. After that, crap.
    Metallica- Crap.
    Ed Byrne- He's literally the least funny person on the planet.
    Bill Hicks- He's intelligent and everything, I just don't find him funny in the slightest.

That's all I can think of now but I know there's loads more :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I didn't say that other scientists who contributed more to science are entitled to fame, but that Hawking's contribution to actual science as a whole rather than public discourse of science is less than many of his contemporaries.

But his fame isnt based on his contribution to science. His standing in regards his peers in the scientific community is. Are you saying he is over rated in the scientific community because of his public image ?

Or that his public image is over flattering ? Because to me his public image is of a scientist and very intelligent man. Most people dont know his contributions to science they just see him as public commentator on various things and a scientist who's held in very high regard by his peers. Which is true considering his position in Cambridge for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wayne Rooney

Larianne wrote: »
    I said Keira wears the costumes well (that green dress in Atonement was stunning) but I don't think much of her otherwise. Actually, I find her quite similar to Kristen Stewart, always has a face on her.

Yes yes yes. See. Not nice.

And furthermore, she has a body of a teenage boy…

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Am+I+the+only+one+who+thinks+Keira+Knightley+has+_c365989017cf190b73503aaf957a1678.jpg

(hope that link works)

Not a fabulous female body…not a decent boob in sight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

That's not the point I made earlier. I stated that Hawkings is overrated in terms of his scientific achievements and then Biggins twisted what I said. You don't have to tell the entire public what you have discovered in order to get your message across.

If you publish a scientific paper, it gets published (if you're lucky) in peer reviewed journal/magazines/gazettes, not in national newspapers. You're not obliged, nor need, to ring up your local news station to tell them about your discovery unless you feel it's absolutely necessary or you've discovered something absolutely revolutionary.

You simple publish a paper of your discovery, it gets peer reviewed sometimes others might repeat your experiment to make sure it works and once that is done it may be seen by the wider scientific community as valid and if the media gets whiff of it (as it's not just academics who can access peer reviewed journals) and think the public might find it interesting then it might get a mention in a newspaper. It certainly does not mean that what you discovered isn't useful, it just means that the media doesn't find it interesting enough, but most of the time the media is not a proper judge on these matters. You don't get the public to decide what the verdict is in a murder trial.

For instance, if you discovered, say, a way to make computer run faster, the chances of that being mentioned in a newspaper are less than, say, the discovery of an extra planet in the solar system.

In terms of usefulness, the former would arguably be more useful than the latter, but the more interesting in the eyes of the wider public would probably be the discovery of the new planet.

You can see, therefore, the subjectivity of usefulness. The newspaper might view the story about the extra planet as being more interesting and therefore satisfy their readers making it more useful for the newspaper as its more likely to keep them reading, while on the other hand a computer magazine/journal (which mightn't be read by as many people) might view the discovery of a new way to make computers run faster as being more interesting to their readers.

The point is, the media isn't the best gauge of what is actually useful. Therefore fame isn't the best gauge of actual contribution or of its usefulness thereof.

You kind of lost me, but I think I was able to wrap my head around what you were saying- "celebrity scientists" perhaps? Those who know how to tap into the public consciousness so to speak and are able to explain their ideas in terms that the average layman would understand as well as his or her scientific peers, so by your example would I be right in thinking you mean that while Stephen Hawkings theories are notable, there are many scientists whose work goes un-noticed because they would not be seen by the general media as "important" as when Stephen Hawking speaks? In that sense then certainly he is over-rated, but that's just because he knows how to work the media.

It's the same way (if I may borrow your computer analogy), Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs never had an original idea in their lives, so they were massively over-rated in terms of their actual contributions to the world of computers, but the reason you heard so much about them in particular and not the hundreds of researchers and computer programmers that brought their ideas to fruition, is because both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates knew how to market themselves and their vision, to make their vision accessible to a wider audience, the same way Stephen Hawking does.

Certainly they are over-rated, but without them, the average person would not have the understanding of the world around them, or the understanding of computers that we do today, so while their contributions to their actual fields may be of less value than those around them, their contribution to the average person's understanding of these fields should not be under-rated either.

David Attenborough would be another example of one who has not contributed much in the field of research into animal and plant life on earth, but he has contributed much to the average person's understanding of the world around them. This is an example of how one could over-rate him on one level, but equally under-rate him on another level.

I'm seeing Bill Hicks pop up here a lot and I'd like to address it. He wasn't a comedian and he would have told you that himself.

He was a social commentator (and a damn fine one) who just happened to express his ideas in a funny way.

He couldn't care less if he made you laugh, as long as he made you think.

Yes yes yes. See. Not nice.

And furthermore, she has a body of a teenage boy…

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/Am+I+the+only+one+who+thinks+Keira+Knightley+has+_c365989017cf190b73503aaf957a1678.jpg

(hope that link works)

Not a fabulous female body…not a decent boob in sight ;)

What makes you think I give a toss about boob size? It's the woman that's attached to them that's important. Small or big, they're all boobs. And awesome.

Your link doesn't work.

keith16 wrote: »
    I agree. He is definitely one of the best we'll ever see. I said that in my post but you've proven my point and felt the need to tell me again.

I don't need to be reminded about it every 5 seconds. It's the constant spunking adulation that annoys me. As another poster said about Bob Marley, I'm getting sick to death of him because of it.

Thats because everytime we think we've seen Messi do it all he does something else incredible. He is phenomenal ..1....2....3....4...5 seconds Phenomenal i tell ya ;)

What makes you think I give a toss about boob size? Small or big, they're all boobs. And awesome.

Your link doesn't work.

Ah botheration. Anyway, buddy, we'll agree to disagree on this one. And the general consensus is that keira is a boy with no boobs :D

• Advertisement

Ah botheration. Anyway, buddy, we'll agree to disagree on this one. And the general consensus is that keira is a boy with no boobs :D

Perhaps that's the general consensus amongst jealous girls :p

Perhaps that's the general consensus amongst jealous girls :p

Jealous…pffft! Not a bit actually…I just think our society of young people with these notions (leading to all sorts of eating disorders) that they need to look like that is ridiculous. I don't like her…I think her figure is a joke…and I really thought men were all about the fabulous curvaceous bodies that looked like real women (with fabulous breasts ;) )

Are you a straight female? Because if you are, your opinion doesn't matter one jot when it comes to what straight men find attractive.

I think Ryan Gosling looks like the gayest guy in the world, but plenty of women I know think he's gorgeous. So I say nothing.

Are you a straight female? Because if you are, your opinion doesn't matter one jot when it comes to what straight men find attractive.

I think Ryan Gosling looks like the gayest guy in the world, but plenty of women I know think he's gorgeous. So I say nothing.

Yes, I'm very much straight. And FYI…I'm totally with you on the Ryan gosling thing!!!

Jealous…pffft! Not a bit actually…I just think our society of young people with these notions (leading to all sorts of eating disorders) that they need to look like that is ridiculous. I don't like her…I think her figure is a joke…and I really thought men were all about the fabulous curvaceous bodies that looked like real women (with fabulous breasts ;) )

I must say that I prefer skinny girls. as skinny as possible without looking anorexic is perfect imo :p Boobs are important but curves are overrated I think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'm seeing Bill Hicks pop up here a lot and I'd like to address it. He wasn't a comedian and he would have told you that himself.

He was a social commentator (and a damn fine one) who just happened to express his ideas in a funny way.

He couldn't care less if he made you laugh, as long as he made you think.

I thought he was funny enough but he is definitely overrated

I thought he was funny enough but he is definitely overrated

In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I must say that I prefer skinny girls. as skinny as possible without looking anorexic is perfect imo :p Boobs are important but curves are overratedI think :pac:

I had to laugh when I read this, and the next poster was ChunkyLover! :D

As an aside, I can see where you're coming from. I can appreciate Mila Kunis as one of the sexiest, most incredibly beautiful girls I've ever seen (someone else will inevitably disagree and say she is over-rated! :p), but I'd break the poor girl in half! I'd prefer a girl like Scarlett Rouge... and that's not a name you should google in work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

In what way?

I don't think he was as great a comedian as (what I perceive as) his huge cult following suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

1,Georgia Salpa has weird facial features and no arse. She is only a midsection.

2, Curves are not over-rated, they are simply beautiful. Keira Knightley has the body of an adolescent boy.

3, I'm straight, but Ryan Gosling is a lash, and a very good actor. No shame in admiring good looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I had to laugh when I read this, and the next poster was ChunkyLover! :D

As an aside, I can see where you're coming from. I can appreciate Mila Kunis as one of the sexiest, most incredibly beautiful girls I've ever seen (someone else will inevitably disagree and say she is over-rated! :p), but I'd break the poor girl in half! I'd prefer a girl like Scarlett Rouge... and that's not a name you should google in work! :D

Dirty boy, I should have known that be a BBW pornstar. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

I always thought Bill Connolly was overrated. Robin Williams also. Screaming at the top of your voice and throwing mad shapes does not constitute funny. Some great one liners, but gets a bit old after a while.

Yer man Michelangelo is a bit overrated too. I had a mate get him to paint his gable end. He ****ed up but his ceiling looks great now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Seinfeld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kanye West. The dude's talented, but let's not lose the run of ourselves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Lelantos wrote: »
    I dunno, Alicia Keys is hyped up because she's one of the few African American women who can play an instrument.

Am I really going to be the first to call you up over this comment!? Even if you said "famous" African American women (which you didn't, but I will assume that this is what you meant) this is bordering on quite offensive in my opinion! Ever hear of Nina Simone? I think you could have as much trouble coming up with a list of great famous white women that play musical instruments, it's the "women" part that may give a small bit of trouble purely because the music industry is still so male-dominated to this day, I really don't see why you had to make a point of saying "African American" women. For the record I am not a massive Keys fan but I didn't appreciate your comment, I find it a bit ignorant if I'm honest, though I'd be happy to hear your counter-argument if you have one, perhaps I've mis-understood your original post.

and also
    Well that's probably a lot to do with them genuinely liking his music as well as revering his ability.

Those other guitarists you mentioned? Huge talent, no question, I have massive admiration for their ability and only wish I could play like them. But you couldn't pay me to listen to Steve Vai, Van Halen, Rhoads or Malmsteen. Far too cheesy imo. Don't know the other lads, will check them out.

if Van Halen are too cheesy for ya, I don't wanna be your friend anyway bro!:D

• Advertisement

BadCompany wrote: »
    if Van Halen are too cheesy for ya, I don't wanna be your friend anyway bro!:D

Ha yeah, each to their own I suppose!

karl_m wrote: »
    1,Georgia Salpa has weird facial features and no arse. She is only a midsection.

2, Curves are not over-rated, they are simply beautiful. Keira Knightley has the body of an adolescent boy.

3, I'm straight, but Ryan Gosling is a lash, and a very good actor. No shame in admiring good looks.

1. Personal opinion. Still way above average and you're in the minority if you think otherwise.

2. Love curves and again, personal opinion.

3. When did I say he wasn't good looking? I said he was gay (stereotypically, I know there are plenty of gay guys who don't fit the stereotype) looking. Which is perfectly fine if that's what you're into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Jesus. Great guy, I'm sure; just a bit over-hyped nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Heath Ledger's Joker.

He acted it well and everything, but people go on about it as if it was the best thing that's ever happened to cinema, and I don't think that would at all be the case if he were still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Stoner wrote: »
    Seinfeld.

This might be insubordination but ......

GTFO !

• Advertisement
Advertisement